The ony thing wrong with Trials and Tribble-ations

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Dale Sams, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I understand not using the original music, but the creators should have taken that as a challenge to come up with NEW TOS-type music.

2. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Yeah, the bar fight is kinda boring with the typical Rick Berman background drone music.

3. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

In terms of sound, I think it was bizarre that the TOS and DS9 characters don't sound like they occupation the same space. Kirk et al sound tinny and trebly. The DS9 characters sound full voice and resonate when they speak. Only when Sisko gets Kirks autograph do they aurally put them in the same space.

4. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    ^That scene wasn't even from the original Tribbles episode. It was from Mirror, Mirror.

5. Bad Thoughts

^Why would that affect how Sisko would sound in this scene, not the others? There was a sound engineers choice at work.

6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well the original music might not have been used so as to avoid having to pay royalties. Trials would already be a fairly expensive episode. As for sound differences that might be down simply to changes in tech from the 1960's to the 1990's.

7. Bad Thoughts

I still don't see where the confusion is. Sound engineers used the same analog technology in the 1990s that they did in the 1960s--reverbs, equalizers, compressors. Moreover, it doesn't explain why Sisko's voice was modified (at least part of the way) to make him sound more like he was filmed in the 1960s, as opposed to the rest of the episode, which sounds like the 1990s.

8. Kinggodzillak

Kinggodzillak Captain Captain

The only thing that bugs me is they changed the sound effect of the intercom button on Kirk's chair. In the original episode, when he calls McCoy to the bridge, it makes a simple click noise. In the DS9 ep it goes BLALALALALA!

Yes, a tiny change, but...why make it?

9. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the score to the episode is a disappointment. Even Ronald D. Moore has said as much.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Still, within the limits of the musical style of DS9, Dennis McCarthy was able to do a decent Jerry Fielding pastiche.

My main problem is that the Kirk-Sisko scene takes the TOS footage from "Mirror, Mirror" when Kirk is looking at Barbara Luna, who's not very tall, so they had to make Sisko unnaturally short for the shot to work.

Also it kind of bugged me that the episode required them to acknowledge the change in the Klingons' appearance as something that was real in-universe. Before then, it had seemed like the franchise as a whole was following Roddenberry's advice and pretending that Klingons had always had ridges even in TOS, or at least remaining agnostic about it. Well, I don't mind that they acknowledged it so much as the way they handled it. It's hard to believe that the DS9 crew had never heard of ridgeless Klingons before.

11. toughlittleship

toughlittleship Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It was only Bashir and O'Brien who definitely didn't know about the Klingons.

12. toughlittleship

toughlittleship Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Because it was a tiny change?

13. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I thought it was better to make a joke out of it than to give it the treatment Enterprise did.

14. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, I took it as a joke and I thought it was brilliant. Really the whole episode was a lighthearted gem. I think the beginning set the tone. It was a valentine (in the TRUE sense of the word) for the fans. Not everything has to be by the book. :) DS9 took several asides like this that aren't meant to be taken so seriously. And I love that. "Take Me Out to the Holosuite" comes to mind. "Badda-Bing, Badda-Bang" -- I love the scene where the crew are dressed up walking through the promenade. It's unrealistic even in the fictional universe of DS9, of course, but to me it was a great moment! It's like once in a while the producers would sometimes say "lighten up, people, we're just making a TV show after all! Enjoy it!" I, for one, loved it! :)

15. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

I did too! I loved "Badda Bing," and thought of it as Trek meets "Ocean's Eleven."

16. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Trimming most of the buildup with Korax and Jones leading to Scotty punching Korax in the chops neuters the scene because it removes the comic buildup that the fight requires to play as "fun". It also robs Jones' copycat Tony-Curtis-in-The-Great-Race maneuver of its comic effect as well. The DS9 people ruined that scene, and the music just made it worse.

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, they didn't "ruin" the scene, because the original scene is still intact in "The Trouble With Tribbles." The point here was not to exactly reproduce the original presentation, but to show how those events would be experienced by a different set of characters who got involved on the periphery. Of course the focus wasn't on Scotty and Korax's dialogue, because the viewpoint characters were O'Brien, Bashir, and Odo, and their attention was on other things.

18. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought the same as Maurice first run.

The evident presumption by the DS9 writers was that we'd rather watch the DS9 characters blabber like idiots about irrelevances such as which one's Kirk during an elided build-up, than have them pipe down and listen, mostly in stunned silence as they all come to realize that they're about to get sucked into a bar fight.

This isn't a question of original versus revision, where the original still exists. It's a question of the DS9 episode wasting an opportunity for better comedy and drama.

With a better build-up there could have been actual tension that they might disrupt the timeline that wasn't actually relieved until O'Brien and Bashir get out of Kirk's dressing down of his officers. Instead, it wasn't really a trial or a tribulation; rather, the whole thing was simply farcical.

19. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting fact:
    The German dubbed version uses the old mono audio track from the original dubbing of the scenes instead of using new voice actors.
    That has the annoying effect, that the original music bleeds through during TOS character's dialogs and drowns out the DS9 music periodically.
    I recognize that it probably is the lesser of two evils.
    The old voice actors were no longer available or even alive to re-record the dialog and new ones would't have the recognition factor.
    It is really jarring when they had to use new voice actors for the director's cut edition of Wrath of Khan.

20. Armored Saint

Armored Saint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A drastic change of Klingon's morphology somewhere before TMP era would have been:
    1- A pretty notorious fact, more notorious that uniform's color code.
    2- Deeply investigated by the Federation.
    3- At least mentioned in a little box in Bashir's medecine books about Klingon.