Zombie Movement

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Bry_Sinclair, Mar 13, 2013.

?

What is your preference for how zombies move?

1. Walking

44 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. Running

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  3. No preference

10 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

In zombie films, which type do you prefer: walkers or runners? Which do you prefer to see the heroes go up against?

2. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I chose walking but it will be interesting to see of World War Z can make fast moving zombies work without making it cheesy.

That said, walking aombies as a world-wide threat to humanity is implausible.

3. Kytee

Kytee Commander Red Shirt

I agree about World War Z, it will be interesting to see how it plays, ( I'm worried it might be cheesy too ) I'd also like to see how humanity turns the tide; the tactics used in the book wouldn't work against the hurricane-o-zombies that we have seen in the previews so far.

4. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Agreed. Fast moving Zombies are the only ones that could plausibly overtake our military. The one's seen in Walking Dead simply after they discovered how to easily kill them would be history.

But yes, the hurricane zombies we saw in the tailer wasn't encouraging to make Z plausible either.

28 Weeks Later probably thus far has done the fast zombies the best - but IIRC they weren't even zombies just very sick live humans.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  5. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

I prefer walking--as in the original Night of the Living Dead, where some were stiff, others (like the 1st graveyard zombie) could pick up the page and swing arms when close to a victim.

It is easy to understand why films such as the 2004 Dawn of the Dead remake used running zombies to turn up the threat level (essentially Aliens-flavored chase scenes with zombies), but you lose the morbid sight of stiff corpses when they move like 'roided track stars.

6. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

As long as it's done well either one's fine with me.

7. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, sometimes I'm in he mood for NotLD or Original DotD, other ties I'm in the mood for Remake DotD

8. SonOfMogh

SonOfMogh Commander Red Shirt

Walkers are far scarier, it's the threat you can run away from but never escape. Walkers grind you down slowly, you can survive until there is no food, no chance of rest, and a mistake is made.

I don't agree with those saying that slow moving zombies pose less of a threat to the military than runners. If you compare the running zombies in the DOTD remake with the traditional Romero zombies there is a big difference.

The Romero zombie literally only works because it is established that the bodies of all recently deceased suddenly returned to life and immediately began to attack the unprepared living. There was no warning for this, lines were not drawn, troops were not mobilised, they literally appeared everywhere at once in numbers and started biting their family, friends, coworkers. With as little as 24 hours notice and some clarification that they are dead and cannot be helped, they never would have even posed the slightest threat. It is a commonly accepted fact that all zombie fiction exists in a universe that does not have zombie movies/games/comics.

In the DOTD remake it appears that those who die from anything else than bites do not reanimate. This means that in this universe an individual zombie is a far greater threat, however the spread should be far slower.

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Conversely, do all deaths (from whatever cause) in The Walking Dead lead to reanimation? I have never seen the show so I don't know what its rules are. (Or in Romero films)

10. Bob Morton

Bob Morton Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

All deaths in The Walking Dead result in reanimation unless there's severe cranial trauma.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

^ Ah. I see. So I take it there's some reason why everybody doesn't simply shoot themselves in the head? If they don't do that, then any other death they might experience will turn them into a zombie, so they are doomed either way...

12. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Walking. Runny movements are too messy.

13. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, all are doomed to reanimation in The Walking Dead, unless prior to death they destroy their brain or have someone do it. As to why so many zombies exist due to not having destroyed their own brains, it's probably because the infection spread so quickly during the onset, that people didn't have time to know what was happening. A person suffering from the most superficial bite still dies of infection in less than a day. The whole plague had wiped out the majority of the human race in only a couple months. That's fast enough that there'd be billions of zombies out there in short order.

As to the question, I'm in the group that doesn't mind either walking or running, but the truth about The Walking Dead is that they are not strictly one or the other. If you pay attention, you see both, & what I mean by that is that they move at average human speed, not old school lumbering zombies, & not 28 Days Later lightning fast Zombies

The motivator is food. They ain't too quick witted, the geeks, so they're slow to make the connection, but once they got food in their sights, they start to put a move on right quick, with physical speeds comparable to the person they were & condition of the corpse. However, in herds they tend to move slower because of the numbers involved.

The only times they are slow individually, are when they're just out roaming & have no motivation to be moving fast, just like a regular person. One of the best things about the show is that the zombies are in all ways that matter just reanimated people, with vastly diminished brain function, who are spreading infection, & have a pretty indiscriminate craving for live flesh.

14. Immolatus

Immolatus Captain Captain

If I were to chose which one I would rather face slow moving ones anyday. as far as watching a movie, those track stars from 28 days and DOTD remake are great

15. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

You are correct. Runners are much more "plausible" :devil::klingon:

16. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I prefer vampires for many reasons, including the fact that they actually have to eat. I liked the fast zombies in Snyder's Dawn okay, but what kept them going?

17. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

I much prefer walking zombies. On occasion, as with the Dawn of the Dead remake, fast-moving zombies can work when done well.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

IIRC, the cause of the zombie apocalypse in DOTD 2004 is a virus (it says so on the DVD case, anyway). So assuming the virus, in addition to reanimating dead bodies, gives them a shot of zombie adrenaline, then I guess that explains it.

Hell, any film which has zombies in the first place has already suspended disbelief enough, since it ignores the reasons a zombie outbreak would fail. ;)

19. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I prefer the old-school lumbering Zombies-- better yet, old-school lumbering Voodoo Zombies. Zombies are not scary in the same way that Werewolves are scary. They're scary because (besides the fact that they are reanimated corpses, which is scary enough) they are relentless. It's not the fear of something jumping out of the shadows at you, it's the fear of inevitable doom.

20. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Every time I read the thread title, I think of a Zombie Rights Movement