Thomas Edison crime fighter? NBC pilot in development

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Enterprise is Great, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

deadline.com

um, ok...I guess it could work if it's more like the Guy Ritchie Sherlock Holmes films than a generic police procedural.

2. Rowdy Roddy McDowall

Rowdy Roddy McDowall Commodore Rear Admiral

Please God no.

Not another cultural bastardization second-rate TV ripoff of a theatrical hit. Leave Edison the hell be. Hollywood as already had Tom Sawyer become Secret Service AND converted Sherlock Holmes into the only thing US audiences can apparently understand: a fast-moving, wise-cracking action hero. Yeah, I know, they had to make him relevant to today's sophisticated cellphone society. When will this s--t stop already? When will NBC relinquish its status as the Starscream of broadcast networks???

Edison wasn't just the Steve Jobs of the 19th century. He changed our way of life threefold, more than Jobs's sycophants claim he did. Edison deserves better than this.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Tesla was cooler.

Oh, God, they're probably going to make Tesla a villain.

4. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Wow, this sounds utterly godawful and not just because it features Thomas Edison.

5. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Is it really possible that I myself have no rights after my death? Lincoln gets turned into a vampire killer, Edison gets turned into a crime fighter... I kinda dislike stuff like that. It skews the facts and over time, the masses will not know the guys for what they really were, but from what they've seen on TV.

6. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

As someone who abhors the lack of cop shows on television, I am greatly heartened by this news.

This just gave me a great idea for a television cop show: An App Against Crime. To the network execs' meeting!

7. JarodRussell

I have witnessed people wondering if Hitler was indeed killed in a movie theater by the Americans.

8. Maple Dog

Maple Dog Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Wait until someone does an action/adventure series with George Washington

9. JarodRussell

Mother Teresa, anti terrorist tag team leader.

Gates & Jobs. Two billionaires teaming up to lead a double life of fighting crime and terrorism.

Ghandi, war hero.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  10. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Oh GOD. Please make it stop.

11. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If done right, that actually could be kind of cool and not that inconsistent with his real-life experience as a military man.

12. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

What the heck? This is a seriously bad idea. A question comes to mind. Why would Edison be a crime fighter? I can't think of a single reason why. It's not like everyone has to end up one.

13. Rowdy Roddy McDowall

NBC and the other major networks are STILL relying mainly on doomed remakes or slight half-ass variations of popular films. Would it kill them to think of something truly original, instead of continuously cribbing from established hits? Next year we're getting the fourth or fifth version of THE MUNSTERS......zzzzzzzzz......

I don't lump the ABE LINCOLN VAMPIRE HUNTER movie the other mashups as it was at least based on an actual book.

14. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even in he context of the continual torrent of bad broadcast TV ideas, this one is a standout. The deadline comments folks are suggesting Tesla as the hero, Edison as the villain, that could just work. Lose the wtf procedural angle, tho.

Some cable channel, maybe it was AMC, was developing a Revolutionary War spy drama, but sadly it didn't survive. That could have been cool.

And I'm pretty sure Ghandi fought zombies.

15. JarodRussell

Assassin's Creed III is going to involve George Washington in a fictionalized storyline. Some game editions even include a fictional "personal diary". But the whole game franchise plays with conspiracy theories surrounding famous historical figures anyways.

16. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is one of the dumbest things I've heard of. Of course, I'm going to go out and write my own spec script where Samuel Clemons works with the first female (and sexy!) police detective to solve crimes in New York. It'll be called Twain.

17. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The idea of Edison fighting crime rather than perpetrating it is rather amusing, considering the man made a living taking credit (and payment) for the inventions of others and did his very best to establish a plainly illegal monopoly on the early film industry before government intervention. Of course, a show that featured his flaws as well as his achievements might be interesting, but this looks rather below that level of ambition. Pass.

18. Rowdy Roddy McDowall

Since the big four broadcast networks no longer make miniseries or even TV-movies to my knowledge, a serious Edison film would only be an HBO possibility. But even then, with no violence, drug use, uninhibited sexuality or profanity, I doubt even they would go for it. :cool:

19. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Ghandi........In the 25th century!

Fighting space aliens and getting the girl in every episode.

20. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

I suppose after this, anything is fair game.

[​IMG]