What's next for Batman...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Warped9, Jul 22, 2012.

1. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

As far as including the origin, Denny O'Neil used to have this great way of including a small mention of it in a panel or two every so often; not enough so that you'd get tired of it, but enough to (a) give new readers a quick refresher and (b) remind readers that yeah, this is what happened, it's basically his raison d'etre but we're not going to dwell on it. Seems to me like the cinematic equivalent, whatever that might be, is the way to go.

2. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Bale has already stated he'd be willing under the right conditions. That right there offers up a possibility. If the demand is there and the right story presents itself then it could conceivably happen. In Hollywood "never" only counts until someone changes their mind.

I personally don't demand there be a followup to effectively make a quadrilogy (although assuming it was good it would make for a sick accomplishment to have four solid consecutive films in one franchise). I would like to see a Catwoman standalone or tie-in with Anne Hathaway. But if there's a solid story to be told then why the hell not? After all the comics are full of stories that end dramatically and somewhat definitively only to be followed up by a new story. Same with Batman in the DCAU features.

If there isn't a fourth film then we'll get a relaunch sooner. My concern then is what form it would take. If it's a lukewarm reboot like The Amazing Spider-Man then I could very well pass.

3. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Wouldn't they just have John Stewart? It would still be Green Lantern, just not Hal Jordan.

4. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

That was my point. The only thing that works against that idea though is if they do a soft reboot of the GL movie wich was unfrotunately about Hal. It would not make much sense to make another movie about Hal and then show a different GL in a JLA movie. They COULD do that, but I seriously doubt that they would do it.

5. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Here's your new GL: Coby Bell, from Burn Notice.

[​IMG]

6. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^Pretty cool. But after the last movie did so poorly at the box office, there's no way that they'd entrust the franchise to a tv actor, unproven as a cinematic draw.

7. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

But aren't those conditions unlikely given the statements of others?

8. tighr

I could see them coming out with a new Green Lantern film, in the same cinematic universe as the first, with a new character in place of Hal Jordan (i.e., not Ryan Reynolds), instead of a complete reboot. Similar vein to XxX: State of the Union, swapping out Vin Diesel for Ice Cube.

9. Captaindemotion

^Given that that movie flopped and killed the franchise (a mooted return by Vin for xXx3 notwithstanding, that doesn't bode too well. Of course, since the original GL movie didn't exactly set the world on fire, recasting couldn't really make things too much worse.

Perhaps the Bourne Legacy might prove a better comparison?

10. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I can now think of two franchises with three solid films to them: the Bourne trilogy and now Nolan's Batman trilogy. If the forthcoming The Bourne Legacy is good then it'll be one helluva quadrilogy.

11. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

You mean Nolan? But isn't that a given that he wouldn't be doing a 4th film when Bale made this quote?

Caine has said he would come back as Alfred.
    I'm sure JGL would love to return as Blake.

12. tighr

With no signs of stopping, either. Like James Bond, there is plenty of source material for continued films in the franchise. As far back as The Bourne Supremacy film in 2004, there was talk of the film franchise eventually being 5 total films; since then there have been a total of seven continuation books after Ludlum's original trilogy. I haven't read any of the continuation books, but Identity was the only one loosely based on Ludlum's books anyway. So much like Bond, they're winging it.

13. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

True, but this would be an ideal way to go for any would-be JLA movie.

I've always preferred Stewart over Jordan anyways. His origin is just more badass.

It would also be a good way (along with ditching the CGI suit) of distancing themselves from the Reynolds film.

I really do like the Bell choice, he's a great actor. And if he was used only as a supporting character, I think his name recognition wouldn't matter. Besides, whoever they would choose would get enough exposure to relaunch a Stewart-based film series.

14. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Roger R. Cross looks the part moreso than Coby Bell does, but does he have the right kind of charisma to play the good guy? I'm used to seeing him as the villain.

15. Captaindemotion

^He was excellent as Curtis in 24. Curtis was a good guy, even if he lost the plot (and his life) in season 6.

16. Captaindemotion

17. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

MIB4? If it's as good as MIB3 then I'm for it.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier? Okay.

Amazing Spider-Man 2? Don't really care.

That's the best news.

18. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I had a dream last night where Nolan was talking to me about wanting to make a 4th movie that would be set between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. I was surprised, but liked the idea and wondered how the public would react once news got out. We got to talking about what villains should be used and I said I wanted to see the Riddler, the Penguin and Poison Ivy because they were major ones who haven't been done yet.

19. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

The Riddler would have been perfect for a Nolan film as a Zodiac like serial killer or thief. The Penguin...ehh...at his worst he is usually played as basically a mob boss that runs a legit business on the side. When he is done well he is not a main villian. He's good for information or black market gear. Ivy could work as some sort of eco terrorist. But like the Penguin, don't think she'd make for a good main villain if only because without her wild plants her scheme would not be all that different from Ras Al Gul's in Batman Begins...using some sort of bio weapon to terrorize Gotham. Like Bane, she'd make for a good front for a bigger villain...perhaps Hugo Strange. Actually Strange would have made for an interesting antagonist for the third film. After the events of TDK, it would have been cool to have the Riddler and Ivy pop up to terroize the city only to have Strange be behind them both...As a rogue psychologist it would have fit in with some of the message of TDK that the mere existance of Batman makes it possible for these freaks to do what they do.

20. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

I wouldn't mind seeing an international spy thriller starring Christian Bale and Ann Hathaway in the identities they assumed post Dark Knight Rises. (You know Bruce Wayne had cash, resources, and safe houses stashed all over the world.) The conceipt is they'd never even have to mention the Batman films at all, just give references in the form of sly winks and nods.