Aronofsky's Wolverine film title announced (3/17/11--Aronofsky quits)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Xavier_Storma

Xavier_Storma Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Re: Aronofsky's Wolverine film title announced

No, not really. ;)
    What was so wrong with the plot btw? I think it had good twists and turning points (I never though Kayla would return, and that everything was a setup for example), and Victor helping Logan was also extremely unexpected. If a movie is able to surprise me (that's my definition) it already is beyond average. Add good acting, great cinematography, memorable scenes and a superb score to it (of course all IMO, but movies are so subjective) and it's a good movie for me.
    If you want to lable me as easy to impress go ahead ;)
    Talking of horrible films: Mummy 3, Clash of the Titans... now those were perdictible, boring pieces of trash (again IMO).

Usually I am not the mainstream person. I prefere independent films (The German film "Die Fremde" is a masterpiece for example), but the X-films got me hooked.

I can fully understand that fans of the comics have their issues with the films, but then again, if the films were made to please the core fans, they would never reach a wider audience.
    Fans were nitpicking that Cyclops was not the main character in the trilogy. I can tell you from a person's point of view, who never had contact with the comics or animated shows before, that casting Wolverine as the main character gave me a possibility to link with him, and to be introduced into the universe of the X-Men with the first film.
    He is a character probably everyone will be able to rely to, since he is on a quest searching for who he is, what his purpose is etc. Questions everyone will ask himself/herself in his/her life at least once. That gives me the possibility to link with him, and through him link with the X-Men in general.

2. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Isn't that what we were lead to believe about the first one before it came out as well?

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah but I wouldn't say to the same extent that they are going about this one. David Benioff had his script messed around with many times before it even hit production, the addition of the mutant cameos being one of the things. I don't think this will be the case with McQuarrie's script. I really don't think Aronofsky will let Fox push him around the way Gavin Hood might have.

4. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I watched the '90s cartoon as a kid, but never read any of the comics. So from my point of view:

X-Men was an entertaining effort with some shortcomings.

X2 was all kinds of awesome.

X-Men: The Last Stand had two strong ideas that were short changed because they tried to tackle both of them in one movie (and the writing just wasn't very good to begin with anyway), in addition to underwhelming execution from all creative parties involved. Pedestrian would be a fair term to describe it.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine was just one giant mess with lots of aimless mayhem, a distracting parade of cameos and one of the worst movie titles to boot.

Looking forward to The Wolverine because of the creative team involved and the fact that it's not joined at the hip with X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

5. Admiral_Young

^ That last line Aragorn typed is another reason why I'm excited. Clint Mansell score though has me salivating.

6. exodus

I don't know if we can say that for sure.
    I'm pretty sure every script goes thru revisions.
    His work before this has mostly been with independent divisions of studios. "The Fountain" which was a major studio release tanked. With Marvel being now part of Disney, if FOX doesn't have say are we sure Marvel/Disney won't? I'm sure they still wanna sell those toys.

I'm not saying it isn't possible to be a good movie, I'm just not counting my chickens before they hatch. Even the greatest director & script writer can produce a misfire. Aronofsky has shown he can do realistic drama but Wolvie is fiction and may not be his strong point.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  7. Admiral_Young

Every script does go through revisions yes and most likely McQuarrie's would have or will as well but from what was posted on the plot a few pages ago and what little we know so far I'm inclined to suggest that "The Wolverine" will be the film that fans were anticipating with "X-Men Origins: Wolverine". Another reason I think Fox injected all of those mutant cameos was maybe because they were testing to see how well fans responded to them. We know a "Deadpool" film is on the way that won't use the version of the character that Wolverine used. I believe that "Gambit" script was written or at least considered. A new version of Emma Frost (the proper version it would seem) is being used in "X-Men: First Class".

All I know is that when Aronfosky's name was being bandied about my interest level went through the roof.

8. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly, that was one nice looking trippy mess of a movie.

Exhibit A: Superman Returns directed by lauded director Bryan Singer

9. exodus

Well, lets hope you're not setting yourself up for a big fall.
    Roofing shingles aren't very good padding for that type of impact. :lol:

10. Admiral_Young

Let's not turn this into a Superman Returns debate by bring it up . Sigh. I hope I'm not setting myself up for a fall but we'll see.

11. exodus

I see your Bryan Singer and raise you Steven Spielberg's A.I.,War of the Worlds & Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull. :lol:

12. exodus

Yes we will my friend, yes we will.;)

13. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not sure where to put this news as I did the search and found this and the Hugh Jackman Wolverine thread but it turns out:

Darren Aronofsky will no longer be directing The Wolverine.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=75358

DAMNIT ALL TO HELL! This is like Mathew Vaughn and X3 all over again.

14. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

"Get me Brett Ratner on the phone!"

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

That is disappointing as hell.

16. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, my limited enthusiasm for this project just flatlined... I hope whoever comes on board next can revive it.

17. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Son of a... :scream:

18. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

what the fuck/

I mean, only a month ago Aronofsky seemed very much involved that he was even making comments about Jackman's physique.

This is disappointing.

19. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Im hoping for Duncan Jones or somebody like Alfonso Cuaron.

20. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Bite your tongue.

Disappointing news. I vote that Chris McQuarrie, who scripted it, take over directing duties.