Reunification - makes no sense?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JoeZhang, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Oh, I'm not talking about taking what they are now and making them the way I posted it. I'm talking about a total re conceptualization from day one.

As for the Ferengi, have them employ muscle along with their existing tech (their big ships are supposed to rival the Galaxy-class, afte rall but must be expensive and exclusive to the best commanders who make the most profit). They have their own ships and they're strong, but they're expensive and fewer in number so they use their economic prowess to hire lots and lots of muscle while making sure they stay in control of their "mercenary army" or at least employ them into their regualr army after a while.

Heh, this take would make the Ferengi the only other group with multiple species in their operations...

2. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Any way you can PM me a recipe? :)

3. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Six red Peppers
    an onion
    Red chille pepper
    some Garlic
    Vegetable stock
    Tomato puree
    Lime

Make about a pint and a half of stock - leave it simmering on the oven.

In a big pan, add a little olive oil, fry the diced onion, chille and garlic for a couple of minutes.

Then add your diced red peppers and stir in some tomato puree (about a tablespoon or so).

Cover and leave on the pot for about five-ten minutes minutes.

Add half the stock.

Blend until it's as thin or as thick as you like (I like it quite thick).

Add the rest of the stock and the lime juice.
    Stir and simmer for about five minutes -adding salt and pepper to taste. Pour into bowls and grate the lime peel over the top.

Enjoy!

4. Hober Mallow

I will, thanks. :)

5. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    It's all very cool what you guys are saying about military superiority and stuff like that but you have to remember the reality of making the series.

Roddenberry died prior to the filming of Reunification. My guess was nobody really wanted to write/shoot/act anything during this time.

Things were so bad Mark Leonard requested that Sarek be killed believing that Berman and his team would no longer be able to keep up the quality of the series.

Nimoy had tremendous difficulty working out a schedule when he could shoot the scenes required for the episode. He posted on a BBS years later (this BBS if I'm not correct) that once he was contacted by Berman to do the episode he could not get a hold of him or any of his people to say yes. He said in a period of a couple of weeks he made 5 consecutive calls with no one every returning call. Thinking he was not actually going to be in the episode he signed on to do another project. Then, wouldn't you know it, he gets a call from Berman saying everything was a go. Not wanting to pass up an opportunity to work on TNG, he had only one day open to shoot and that's what they did...shot all his scenes in one day.

From his postings, Nimoy seemed to express a sincere regret that his phone calls were not answered earlier and that he would have never committed to the other project, dedicating all his energies to Reunification.

If you ask me, the episode never had a chance.

6. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    The bit about Nimoy sounds roughly like what I'd heard before, but I've never heard that Mark Lenard requested Sarek be killed, or that he had a fear of the quality.

7. Hober Mallow

Gene Roddenberry was very much alive during the production Unification, which makes the Mark Leonard story complete hogwash. Roddenberry died during the filming "Hero Worship."

And they didn't shoot Nimoy's scenes in one day. They did film Part 2 before Part 1 in order to accomodate Nimoy's schedule. I'm not sure where you're getting your info...

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  8. kitsune

kitsune Captain

Roddenberry died during filming of Hero Worship (5x11). Unification was 5x07-08. But I don't know the production orders of those two episodes.

ETA: Unification was produced before Hero Worship but had the Gene Roddenberry memorial title card when it aired.

9. ltcmmanderdata

ltcmmanderdata Lieutenant Commander

good point be 2000 romulans against all of vulcan

10. Hober Mallow

Yes, Roddenberry was gone before Unification aired, but it had already been filmed.

11. Lt.Cmdr.LaForge

Lt.Cmdr.LaForge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

further up this thread alot of posts were about the 'plot hole' of how on earth the romulans would have been able to capture and hold vulcan. I may be wrong on this one, but i was under the impression that because vulcans are pacifists they dont really have much a strong defence system in place and that they rely on the protection of the federation...

12. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Since when are Vulcans pacifists? They're logical, not spineless. There's plenty of logic in defending from invasion.

13. c0rnedfr0g

c0rnedfr0g Commodore Commodore

There is speculation that some Federation starships are manned almost entirely by a Vulcan crew (as evidenced by the USS Intrepid in TOS).

Also, the Vulcans had many a space battle, esp with the Andorians, during ENT.

14. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I doubt the Vulcan Defence Force was armed with simply strong words. While Vulcans seemed to prefer non-lethal solutions we know that Vulcan fought in at least the Dominion War so likely other conflicts and Mr. Tuvok being chief of security seems a little odd if they are were a race of pacifists.

If it came to it they would have blown those ships out of the sky :techman:

15. Praetor

Captain Silva LaForge's USS Hera from 'Interface' was said to have had a crew of mostly Vulcans. The USS T'Kumbra from 'Take Me Out to the Holosuite' specifically had an all-Vulcan crew. Both were over a century after the Intrepid, so it seems clear that the increased presence of alien crewmen aboard our Hero facilities does not necessarily indicate full species integration.

Alternatively, it could mean that Vulcans are a special case of having their 'own' ships - and perhaps so are certain other races?

16. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was talking with Timo once, and I think we (or at least I) figured that the T'Kumbra wasn't all-Vulcan by design, but by expediency. Captain Jerkwad, probably newly promoted to command rank due to the pressures of war after being held back for years due to his overt and very un-Federation racism, was given a ship newly built/refitted at the Vulcan fleet yards, and, exploiting Starfleet Command's need for speed, he managed to fill the entire ship full of Vulcan conscripts. Of course, he set out to prove that Vulcans were the master race, in part by winning the war, but primarily by training his crew to become the finest baseball team in the quadrant (Cap. Jerkwad is not a well-balanced man and he does not have his priorities straight).

He was probably the subject of numerous complaints by his more conscientious subordinates after the incident in Take Me Out to Holosuite, and following the end of the Dominion War Cap. Jerkwad was likely either thrown out of the service for his frequent inappropriate behavior, or moved into a position where he couldn't hurt anyone. Maybe he was even ironically punished and assigned to some crap job on Earth.

17. Praetor

Say, that's not a bad idea. :)

Care to explain the Hera? ;)

18. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Clearly, Captain LaForge wanted a crew of scientists and unfortunately believed in the Vulcan stereotype for the whole race. Serves her right ;).

19. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She's the hybrid child of Karl Agathon and a Cylon Model 8. She has absolutely no importance to anyone, anywhere.

:p

I dunno, statistical fluke.

20. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    ^I believe the PD, in addition to non-interference with pre-warp civilizations, also applied to not interfering in the internal affairs of other worlds, as Picard says to Gowron when Starfleet and the Federation refuse to take sides in the Klingon Civil War. However, that didn't stop him from organizing a Starfleet blockade to prevent the Romulans from resupplying the Duras sisters' forces. So there appear to be fine distinctions when it comes to interference in other cultures. -- RR