Game of Thrones 4.6 - "The Laws of Gods and Men" - Rate and discuss

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, May 11, 2014.

?

Grading

1. Excellent

58.3%
  2. Above average

33.3%
  3. Average

8.3%
  4. Below average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Rate and discuss (with spoilers for the episode, but not for forthcoming episodes) "The Laws of Gods and Men", airing on the 11th May on HBO and on the 12th May on Sky Atlantic.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHP31A0Tl2Y[/yt]

2. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Re: Game of Thrones 4.6 - "The Laws of Gods and Men" - Rate and discus

Gods, I love Dinklage/Tyrion!

Glad they didn't try to cover too much in this episode.

3. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

:eek:

4. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Agreed.

5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just a few disconnected thoughts:

How the hell did they erect that statue over the canal?

Awesome cameo from the dragon.

I have mixed feelings about Mark Gatiss writing for Doctor Who but I liked him as the snotty bank manager.

Maybe I missed something but why did they just let Ramsay unlock those kennels?

Theon! What a thankless role!

Gah, can't wait to see what happens with Tyrion.

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

How did they build the statue?

What happened when the top ninety feet of that sword the statue was holding snapped off, and did it hit anyone or anything on the way down?

7. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

magic? It's also possible that the statue is built with a metal skeleton constructed out of valyrian steel acting as a type of rebar through-out to provide stability and strength and valryain steel being much lighter, yet much stronger than normal steel.

They'd be rich of enough to still have such a thing and not have since melted it down for swords.

8. SiddFinch1

SiddFinch1 Captain Captain

Great episode....even though the greyjoys are one of my least favorite. Plotlines

9. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Top notch and answered a huge question I've had over whether a twist in the books was going to be followed or whether a character would be spared that ignominy.

10. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

I think this was the first episode of the entire series in which we didn't see any of the Starks.

Also, a minor nitpick: During the trial, I thought I heard multiple references to Sansa as "Sansa Stark". Isn't she Sansa Lannister now?

11. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Since the Lannisters were behind the trial, it seems unlikely that they would want Sansa associated with them any longer. Why give her "official status" as part of their family?

12. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Clearly it was aliens.

Or, probably similar to the way we did it in ancient times (even if it straddling the harbor like that is now considered to be erroneous).

Take your pick. I'll understand if you go with the former, though. That seems to be the popular assumption these days whenever someone sees something impressive like that if those shows on the History Channel and the Learning Channel are anything to go by.

13. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Holy crap, Dinklage is awesome!

14. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

So who will he name as his champion?

15. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Speaking of erect, how many people look up when they're right underneath it?

I'm sure the wall along the north would've been far more difficult to construct.

Well, Tyrion picked Jaime when he was at the Vale, so I'm guessing he might pick Jaime again. Their faces all showed it. They cut to Jaime and then to Cersei. And it seems to be a sort of power play because all of Tywin's eggs are in the basket of Jaime, who is now missing his sword hand. It was all in those short moments you could see Jaime knowing he couldn't fight well enough, Cersei losing her brother and (former?) lover, and Tywin losing both heirs and his family name.

16. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Why not Bronn? he can fight very well.

17. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

:whistle:

[​IMG]

coudn't resist... sorry...

18. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Jesus Christ Dinklage.. what an amazing performance throughout the whole trial. If he was ever considered to get a second major award for GoT it should be this episode.

You could really feel the frustration mount in him when all witnesses basically lied and implicated him because of their own power plays but the cake was Shae.. damn if there ever was the personification of a woman scorned.

Awesome episode from beginning to end - Game of Thrones at its best! :techman:

19. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I may be a closed-minded fool bit hopefully not for a quick quip about an imaginary statue.

20. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No. She was never "Sansa Lannister" to begin with.

Women in Westeros don't necessarily take their husband's name - or may not use it at all, if their family is more prestigious than their husband's, or on the same level of prestige. In addition to this, Sansa would never call herself "Sansa Lannister"; other people don't identify her as one of the Lannisters, but one of the Starks, since everyone knows it was a forced marriage and that she was a hostage; and the Lannisters themselves wouldn't have had an incentive to call her a Lannister, when her Starkness is what gave them the claim to Winterfell, which is what they wanted from her - and now they have even less incentive to call her Lannister, when she has escaped and is accused of murdering Joffrey (again something related to her Starkness).

In the books, nobody ever called Sansa "Sansa Lannister" or "Lady Lannister" except one (anti-Lannister) character when he was specifically trying to dismiss her as the heir to Winterfell (since most of Westeros believes that all her brothers are dead) because it served his agenda.

Even in less extreme cases, married women from the great houses tend to be called by their maiden name (more so in the books than in the show). But I think that even in the show, Cersei is always Cersei Lannister, and Margaery is always Margaery Tyrell. Princess Elia is also always called Elia Martell in the books, and there's a Lannister aunt in the books who's married to a Frey and nobody ever calls her "_ Frey" (that one goes without saying). On the other hand, Selyse is often called Selyse Baratheon (though I think they also call her Florent at some point) and Olenna gets Olenna Tyrell and Olenna Redwyne, IIRC, but their families are less prestigious than their husband's. When it comes to the great houses, the exception are the Tully women - Catelyn gets called both Catelyn Tully and Catelyn Stark in the books, and Lysa gets Lysa Arryn more often than Lysa Tully (however, she is NEVER called Lysa Baelish), but the Tullys are arguably less prestigious than the Starks and the Arryns (as the Tullys were never kings in their own right before the Targaryen conquest) and besides, Catelyn strongly identifies with her Stark identity as much as she does with her Tully identity; while Lysa rules in the Vale, so it makes sense for her to be called "Arryn".