Smallville10x21&22 "Finale" Discuss/Grade

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by nx1701g, May 13, 2011.

?

Grade "Finale"

1. SUPERMAN (Excellent)

33 vote(s)
    31.7%
  2. The Blur (Above Average)

24 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. CLARK KENT (Average)

22 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. Kal-El (Below Average)

12 vote(s)
    11.5%
  5. BIZARRO (Poor)

13 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Indeed. Yeah the Salkinds were behind the "Superboy" series (which I was actually a fan of when I was a kid. The thing about Lana...(this could be the title of an essay on her lol) is that Miles and Gough seemed to have based her not on the Bryne version of the high school Lana nor Loeb's version from "Superman For All Seasons" but the modern comic book version of the character. I noticed immediately similarities between Smallville Lana and modern Lana. I thought to myself...why the hell would they use older Lana for their high school character? Sigh. Kristen Kruek wasn't the main problem with the character, she can act when given actually dialogue and a good script (Street Fighter doesn't count lol) the way she was portrayed and meant to serve as a linchpin to Clark's entire existence hampered both characters. I hated the way she was depicted in Smallville.

2. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

It seemed like after the first couple of years, they didn't know what to do with Lana. But they had to keep her around due to either fan service or, more likely, contract reasons.

3. Admiral_Young

^ Yeah I think it was probably due to contract reasons. Kristen's interviews in later years suggested that she was getting frustrated with her role on the series. I think even she thought she shouldn't be hip connected to Clark all the time. I'm glad she was able to get out when she did, disappointed how they wrote her out.

4. Broccoli

I liked the "Dear John" video.

Didn't care for the Kryptonite Girl.

5. Admiral_Young

^ Yeah, there was no point in Kryptonite Woman. I always smile though thinking Geoff Johns must've pulled out some more hair if he ever viewed that episode because I doubt that is what he was thinking about when he gave Saturn Girl "You've a great destiny" line to Lana in "Legion".

6. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

She even said she'd wouldn't watch the finale till it came out on DVD.

7. Broccoli

Re: AY

Well, I have my doubts that Geoff Johns actually wrote his Smallville episodes to begin with. Other than a story outline and first draft, I find it unlikely given his schedule that he'd sit through doing multiple drafts. Plus, even if he did write every word that ended up on screen, I'm pretty sure he'd be privy to the plans for the rest of the season so his episode could integrate in what was to come. Also, despite the stupidity of Kryptonite Girl, making someone into a superhero is a great destiny in the world of comic books. :shrug:

However, I did smile when Lana became literal poison to Clark. I wonder if that was a subtle jab the writers took at themselves given fan complaints and the previous seven years.

8. Admiral_Young

The only script that I question Geoff actually wrote is "Booster" because of how close to the finale block it was completed and filmed in. "Legion" pretty much has his stamp all over due to his work on the comic.

I was startled when I found out Kristen had been to the wrap party. I didn't think that she would go.

9. Broccoli

Well, why not? She might have been disappointed with the direction of her character, but she was still probably on good terms with everyone on the show.

It seems as if there was no drama behind the scenes of Smallville that you might expect to find in other, long-running series. The only one that appears to have some sort of bad blood is Sam Witwer.

10. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z07MMlFqGvQ[/yt]
    :lol:

11. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I'm so glad during that video we didn't see a splash of, er, "liquid" impact the screen.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Yes! Yes! Ameri-CA!"

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

14. Broccoli

Reminds me of that video of the guy jerking off to the TDK trailer.

15. Ultramann

Ultramann Lieutenant Red Shirt

Spoliers below

To actually talk about the show, the two geniuses that hamstrung the finale should be horsewhipped. After 10 years Tom Welling earned the right to be seen in FULL costume and yes been allowed to fly. Still I thought the ending wasn't bad and yes even brought a smile to my face.

16. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

But Tom Welling never wanted to be seen in costume. I'm sure if he did, they would have allowed it.

17. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Could it be that Welling hopes to still be a big-screen Supes one day, say, maybe in this Justice League movie that won't have Bale, and, if GL2 is made right away, might not have Reynolds either? Does he figure that if a Justice League movie will have actors all to itself, i.e., Cavill won't be in it but will be in additional stand-alone Supes movies, that he'll get a mega-movie-sized paycheck at last?

If that is his thinking, then continuing to tease and bait fans by not suiting up in Smallville would be the perfect way to keep buzz going.

... Or, maybe this is just wild-monkey speculation, and he's just a dick. :p

18. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

This guy is jerkin off right?:barf:

19. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

I am rolling on the floor laughing out loud right now so hard :guffaw:

20. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Methinks Tom Welling isn't a particularly good actor, and he'll never be a big screen superhero, not in a zillion years.

I'm inclined to believe that he indeed looked like shit in that costume, so he refused to be seen in it.

BTW, the CGI stuff was perfectly enough for me, I honestly don't get all the disappointment.