Will "Into Darkness" be a 911 parable?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Romulan_spy, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Listening to Cumberbatch describe his character as a terrorist but who is very 3 dimensional, with a very grey morality. He says that the methods are abhorent but the audience will likely sympathize with the motives. He also says that Harrison seems himself as the underdog and likely justifies his extreme actions because he is fighting such a powerful force like Starfleet. And we know from the trailer that Harrison attacks Starfleet in a big 911 style attack. This got me thinking. Will "Into Darkness" be a parable on 911 and terrorism with a message that basically says "terrorist are not really pure evil because while their methods are abhorent, their motives might be sympathetic and they only do what they do because they see themselves as the underdog?

2. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No.

3. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

4. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I doubt it will try to portray terrorists in general as sympathetic figures. Harrison in particular, yes.
    It will be more about the impact of terrorism on our society, the changes it causes and how we should cope and overcome its effects.

A relevant quote from Damon Lindelof in a recent interview

http://collider.com/damon-lindelof-star-trek-2-into-darkness-interview/220137/2

5. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Isn't everything these days? At least the critics say so.

6. blaXXer

blaXXer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Perhaps.

7. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

But perhaps not.

8. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    I just want to be able to empathise with the bad guy. Making his motives understandable certainly helps in that regard. Every film with a proper antagonist is better if you can understand why they're doing what they're doing.

Also, this one's going to have a lot of screeching fangirls. :p

9. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Yes and no.

10. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

While the Lindelof quote posted by Salvor indicates that the writers did and do intend the destruction of Vulcan to have had an impact upon the Federation comparable in scale to that which the Sept. 11 attacks had upon the United States, I would hope that the story we get is neither so simple as a straight parable nor such an obvious parallel.

Root causes leading to terrorism generally, now - that could work into a story in any of several ways, but there's no need for 9-11 to be a part of it - not even figuratively. It's not as if there's a shortage of other examples from which to draw.

11. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My first reply was a bit sarcastic. Mostly because I feel that not everything has to relate to 9-11. And I doubt JJ would want a deep hidden message in his Star Trek. Non of his movies ever gave me the idea he's about deep messages.

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I don't have a problem with Earth-centric stories, just a problem with bad stories. This looks like quite an interesting mutli-layered story, that happens to have the government and traitors as bad guys again: the current cultural zeitgeist.

RAMA

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe the Federation will react to a Romulan terrorist action by invading Qo'nos. They'll bank on the common human not being able to tell the difference between Romulans and Klingons, and hope no-one notices them securing Praxis' dilithium reserves while they're at it...

14. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

After the last one, I think I'm gonna need a 4:20 parable.

15. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

No, because STXI was already a 9/11 parable, between Nero's omnicidal rage and his imcomprehensible finger-pointing and blame-gaming.

More to the point, the motives between the 9/11 terrorists weren't all that sympathetic. They genuinely didn't care if they were the "good guys" in any scenario, they do what they do because they are TOLD to do it and because they have been conditioned to obey those orders to the death.

So unless Cumbebatch's character turns out to be the real mastermind behind Nero's evil plot, there's no 9/11 parable to be had. This is something entirely different.

16. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

I'm thinking more like a bell curve.

17. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I would attack Qo'noS just for being spelled Qo'noS.

18. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

please no im bored of them, especially when they end up being one sided.

19. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

It is a quantum state of superposition until the movie is observed in the cinema.

20. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Why not? It'll make Star Trek relevant again.

Although I'm thinking more along the lines of a PATRIOT Act parable/criticism here.