STNG-blu ray

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by ChickenPug!, Jan 17, 2009.

1. ChickenPug!

ChickenPug! Lieutenant Red Shirt

If this isn't the right forum for this question, sorry in advance.

I've looked around and can't figure out if/when the complete series will be released on blu ray. Anyone else know their plans? Thanks!

2. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

I could be wrong, but at this point I don't think there are any plans. Paramount is probably still reeling from getting burned on the whole HDDVD format TOS mess. But give it time, Trek after all is their favorite cash cow.

3. ChickenPug!

THanks, that is the vibe I got that it would be a while.

4. Admiral Bear

Admiral Bear Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's pretty likely that blu-ray as a format will be dead, buried and consigned to the technological dustbin of history long before Paramount/CBS have got around to remastering what now are probably some pretty degraded masters.

Also all the visual effects would need to be redone, as they were shot only on video (the live action was shot on film and transferred to video with the visuals put only on the video) and won't stand up on HD.

Please feel free to correct the above if it's wrong in any way. :)

5. jbrinegar

jbrinegar Lieutenant Red Shirt

I wouldnt say never, but Id be suprised if it happens. To redo all those special effects shot on video would probably not be cost effective.

6. Sisko_is_my_captain

Sisko_is_my_captain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Anyone know if they still have all of the original TNG film, or did they trash it after moving it to video? I'd be disappointed if they redid the effects using CGI without preserving all of that miniature work that people put so much time and energy into over the years.

7. DeeEss57

DeeEss57 Lieutenant Red Shirt

That would be pretty short-sighted of them, but then again, we're talkin' about Paranoiamount.

DES

8. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They kept TOS for 40 years, didn't they? They're bound to still have the film for TNG.

I've noticed recently how poor the quality of the DVDs is. I only got a HDTV two months ago, and when I watch an up-scaled DVD of Lost the image quality is so clear that it almost looks like real HD. In comparison, the image quality of TNG is faded and grainy.

9. Dane_Whitman

Dane_Whitman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, the picture quality is pretty bad. Same goes for the early seasons of DS9. Funny though, when you watch Part II of Descent you'll notice a huge improvement in picture quality compared to Part I. For some reason, season 7 looks a hell of a lot better on DVD.

10. EnsignRicky

Yeah, with the advent of flat screens, DVD is starting to look crappier every day. Which way to the Babylon 5 Blu-ray petition?

11. ChickenPug!

I'm just not a fan of buying and rebuying sets. We will see.

12. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I think we'll get it if TNG gets remastered like TOS.

13. Damask

Damask Commander Red Shirt

Do we need them remastered though? I know I'd like having one Blu-Ray disc with an entire season on it?

14. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The picture quality is better for season 7, but I'm noticing trails when there is movement onscreen. I never noticed this problem with the season 5 & 6 discs, or any other DVDs I have. I think my DVD player just doesn't like TNG. :(

15. EnsignRicky

I guess one solution could be to keep an old fashioned type TV around so we can watch it "the way it was meant to be seen". It looked just fine on that way back in the innocent days of 2008.

16. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

I played my regular B5 DVDs on a Blu-Ray equipped playstation 3, which converts (I think) the image, and it looked pretty darn good.

17. EnsignRicky

I did the same thing and I agree, they don't look half bad; Way better than TNG anyway. But after seeing The Dark Knight on Blu-ray, I would still double dip in a second.

18. Admiral Bear

Admiral Bear Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've watched some of the mid to later seasons of TNG upscaled to 720p and 1080i.

720p is OK. It improves the image for viewing on a large LCD or plasma, and there's just about enough on the original for it to stand up to upscaling without any issues.

But 1080i was a different kettle of fish. Quite a few what I would describe as little black lines appearing on the screen where there presumably wasn't enough quality in the source material for it to cope with that level of upscaling.

19. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^You watched it in 1080i.

I'm not surprised that happened. ;)

20. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

It's such a ridiculously vast - and costly - undertaking, that I doubt a remastered version from the original negs will ever happen. I bet they just wait for upscaling technology to improve, and maybe redo the effects as a selling point.