I just had a Firefly/Serenity Marathon

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PKerr, Apr 10, 2010.

1. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks to Netflix streaming I just had a Firefly/Serenity Marathon.

Having never seen the show before, I was pleasantly surprised how well I enjoyed it.
    I was also glad I didn't watch it back in the day because I would have been extremely bummed to see the show end.

I think they did a very good job with the show to movie tie in, it did a good job in both giving the show closure but also left me wanting more.

Shame it didn't do better.

I only wish
    they hadn't killed off Wash and Book, if the movie was going to be the last of it, why do that?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

With regards to your spoiler...

Even though those characters met that fate, had there been sequels, the actors were still going to be included somehow.

And he did it because Joss is a sadistic bastard who loves to make his characters miserable! :lol:

3. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I believe the question in your spoiler is also the answer.

4. Lt. Trull

Lt. Trull Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Mining colony Sol Asteroid belt, Sol System
    I've got all the episodes and the movie.... and I can not bring myself to view anything past episode two... and I like syfy...
    what's the problem?

5. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

With regards to your spoiler, Serenity the movie was the whole of Firefly season 2 in one movie. That was likely planned from the start of the show.

6. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Actually, in the first draft of the script, everybody lived. Heck, Book was even on the ship at the beginning of the movie.

7. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

Is it online to read anywhere?

8. David cgc

9. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

190 pages! Sweet!

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

You have no soul?

11. David cgc

In my experience, it generally goes like this. You watch the pilot, and go, "Huh. That was pretty okay, I guess." A few weeks later, you're bored, so you watch "The Train Job." Again, sort of "eh." Then you watch "Bushwacked" maybe a week later. A couple days after that comes "Shindig," and then you figure, well, the disc is already in the player, so you do "Safe," too. Another day or two later, you give "Our Mrs. Reynolds" a try, and then you're hooked and watching as much as you can as quick as you can and are shaking and crying like a junkie in withdrawal by the time it's over.

So anyone who gives up on the show within the first three episodes isn't necessarily suffering from a criminal lack of taste. :p

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yeah, I wasn't hooked after the pilot either. :p

"Our Mrs. Reynolds" is definitely the first awesome episode. The previous episodes are great upon rewatch, though, once you've already gotten a feel for the characters.

13. Lt. Trull

Lt. Trull Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Mining colony Sol Asteroid belt, Sol System
    I got to the train episode... throughly enjoyed when he pushed the guy into the ships engines....

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

That part was hilarious because I absolutely did not see it coming.

15. JediKnightButler

JediKnightButler Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My wife and I rented the entire series and enjoyed it. We also saw the movie back when it first came out- before we watched the show. It was enjoyable but watching the series definitely helped me understand it better. We're fans of Whedon's work in general (Buffy, Angel), so it was pretty easy to get into. We were definitely bummed out that we ran out of episodes to watch so soon. My favorite episodes were "Ariel", "Out of Gas," and "Objects in Space" although nearly episode had some nice touches that made it at least somewhat enjoyable. Whedon shows tend to have just the right balance of action, comedy, drama and Firefly was no exception. It was interesting to watch a sci-fi show that might as well have been what a Star Wars show might look like if it were about Han Solo and his adventures before he joined the rebellion against the Empire. It's unfortunate that since Buffy, Whedon's shows haven't been quite as (commercially) successful.

16. JediKnightButler

JediKnightButler Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah that was great:devil:
    There were a lot of scenes like that in the show, which made it fun to watch. I also liked the scene on that one episode where Mal was struggling with Nishka (?)- that guy who was torturing Mal and Wash- and when his crew launched a rescue attempt, Zoe initially told everybody to hang back because Mal didn't need any help and he quickly yelled out that he did and his crew rushed to his rescue.
    I also liked the scene at the end of "Ariel" when he "lectured" Jayne about his actions on Ariel (his attempt to turn in Simon and River that nearly ruined their plans). :devil:

17. StarshipDefiant

StarshipDefiant Captain Captain

"Out of Gas" and "Objects in Space" are among my favorite to, the first episode because it's a good episode about Mal and background on the ship and Mal's reasoning for getting the ship (the ending was just awesome). The later, is because it was a good episode about River and how the crew actually feel about the Tams

Yes, the part where he said he does want help was pretty funny, and is an example of the humor behind the show (which is one of the reasons it was so popular, IMO).

I love this show, but I just can't bring myself to watch it all the time, probably because there's only a few episodes and there are moments in several episodes that I just...I am just not happy with what happened for one reason or another, I am almost disappointed with what happened, but that's normal I guess. Overall, it's a great series, and I wish it had gotten more then the 13/14 episodes it had.

18. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A little off topic and not that I think it would happen in Firefly's case but has there ever been a show that got a second chance at a series years after cancellation?

19. David cgc

Doctor Who is probably the most obvious example, but it was obviously a very special case. Not many other shows could have you redesign all the locations, recast or replace the main characters, and still be perfectly consistent with everything that happened before.

20. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

I maintain that if they'd made Out Of Gas an extended episode (65 minutes or so) and added in how Simon, River and Book came to be aboard, it would have made for a better pilot episode than the Serenity two-parter. It would have probably had enough action for Fox to agree to it, and would have introduced us to all of the characters right away.