STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I've seen it four times and may go for a fifth here in the next week or two.

2. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

It's said Warner is expecting a $90 million weekend for "Man of Steel", which is probably a lowball estimate. The Box Office Mojo estimate is about $140 million.

Right now, MOS is at 58% on Rotten Tomatoes. That's not good. It probably won't affect the opening weekend, but will it affect word of mouth and the "walk up" crowd? I'd think it would. Reviews may not mean much individually, but so many of the reviews (even a few of the good reviews) say basically the same thing: the movie is just too somber and joyless, without the wit or charm you'd expect from a Superman movie. No fun. Batman is supposed to brood and be dark, not Superman.

3. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Just saw Man of Steel...

The best I can say is it's very..., REAL...

I guess I'm too old, I like the more "Comic Book" versions better.
    (and I was very disappointed that they don't show the Daily Planet Icon on top of the building at any point in the movie):eek:

The previous Superman was much more entertaining, despite what ever flaws folks found in it.

STID was a bit too dark for my tastes also, I guess.

4. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I really thought MoS was poor, Superman Returns was superior as a film. I do like Kevin Smith's "Superman arthouse" description of it :D

Interestingly, while it is going to open at around 85m-90m, they have these mammoth corporate deals and sold 12m worth of tickets to Walmart so it'll open larger on the face of it.

5. Franklin

I can see that, at least for Trek. Then again, the ending is on a very high note.

I've thought TOS and Superman were a lot alike as entertainment. They're both at their best when they don't take themselves too seriously. They're also eternally optimistic and never dour. You can picture Superman or Kirk breaking the fourth wall during an adventure and asking, "Are you having as much fun as I am?" or "Don't worry, you know everything will turn out OK." Iron Man had that feel, too. For this genre, where there has to be a lot of suspension of disbelief, I've always liked the lighter touch.

I mean really, which one of the following would be the least fun at a party?
    -- Iron Man
    -- Jim Kirk
    -- Superman
    -- Batman (unless it's Adam West doing the Batusi, then all bets are off).

6. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Haha, Abrams is like "I'm concerned.", and Urban is like "Fuck it!"

7. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

One of the things that disturbed me the most about MoS was the ending of the final battle...

Without giving anything away, I felt that the impetus of Superman's feelings, wasn't at all obvious to me, until that final moment when it was all of a sudden, just there.

It felt very..., jarring and like it came out of left field somewhere.

I'm sure I probably just missed something in the dialogue during the movie, but I'm not even interested in going back to find it.

This may be the first summer block-buster I probably WON'T Buy, when it hits Blu-ray.
    :thumbdown:

I guess, when it comes down to it...,
    I enjoyed STID just a little bit more.

And that's kinda sad for both movies.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  8. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

It really gets worse the more I think about it and further away I get, it's just lucky it had a strong end as far as an action set piece goes.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

MOS doesn't seem to be having WOM problems.

AFIAK. LOL

10. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    No MoS spoilers, plase.

Since when do we listen to critics ? :D

11. Franklin

For as long as they stay damn nice to "Star Trek". :D

12. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I was so annoyed by mistakes in the local paper's review that I emailed the reviewer.

13. Neumann

Neumann Captain Captain

Which movie?

14. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That MoS had a rotten rating even before it freaking released worries me greatly... but, dammit, it's Superman so I have to obey the call despite my reservations.

One question about it here, how's the theme/soundtrack sound - are they anything at all like the Classics?

15. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

The score is a typical Zimmer; think PotC III only bleak and dull.

16. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Hey, only a 2% drop-off from Wednesday...

17. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You liked the last half hour of action??? I thought it was such a boring finale, the kind of 'action' we've seen a hundred times.

18. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Recycling, eh? It had been a while since I watched that so I've been listening to it on yt. I think I may be getting the vibe of what he did in MOS. Take out all the 'Pirate' themes and what's left over is probably pretty much MoS.

Yee-haa!

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g77eCIdKlHY[/yt]

19. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

And garnished with lots and lots of heavy percussion.
    I wonder what happened to the composer who wrote the score for Gladiator, they should have used him. That Zimmer was good. This one, not so much. ;)

20. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

Disappointing...

I kept waiting (and hoping) to hear little strains of John Williams' Superman theme mixed in, but to no avail.

I far as I could tell there is really no Fan-fare theme in this movie at all.

I'd be hard-pressed to be able to tell someone that I could remember the music, there's nothing really that stands out in my mind.
    (and I love music of all kinds dearly)

Again, it's probably attune to the fact that todays younger audiences seem to feel more akin to all things macabre and solemn than I do.

It'll probably be a huge hit with folks under twentyfive.