Green Arrow (CW)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, Jan 13, 2012.

1. NrobbieC

NrobbieC Commander Red Shirt

the arrows had green tips didn't they?

2. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

I just assumed the name of the show was a (lame) stylistic choice, much like Smallville and their insistence on using one-word titles for every episode.

For some reason, someone somewhere thinks that's "cool."

3. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't even think about the GL movie, I just thought that the idea was to avoid confusion with GA from Smallville.

4. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Nah, it's the Green Something. After Green Hornet and Green Lantern you can't call a show Green Arrow without confusing big parts of the audience, the titles are too similar.

5. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^You mean like The Last Boyscout, The Last action Hero,The Last resort, The Last Ship, The Last Airbender, The Last of the Mohicans, The Last Stand, The Last Samurai.......

6. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

The Diggle character was created from a character in that Year One story with a similar job and backstory.

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Hey hon, there's a show about that green guy coming on."
    "Who?"
    "You know he had a ring and a car and an Asian butler."
    "Oh yeah, the one with Seth Green."

Poor "general population", we think so lowly of them. I'm not sure if it's not true though.

8. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

"Hey hon, there's a show about that green guy coming on."
    "You mean Lou Ferrigno?"

9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

It's true. My next-door neighbor rented GREEN LANTERN expecting a goofy superhero comedy with Seth Rogen. Boy, was he confused. And only yesterday I heard this from an acquaintance:

"You mean the X-MEN and AVENGERS aren't the same thing?"

And, just this morning, I ran into someone who confused BABYLON-5 with BATTLESTAR GALACTICA . . . .

We assume everybody knows this stuff, because it's burned into our brains, but most of the world isn't paying that much attention to it.

10. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I've encountered office workers who also confused Hornet & Lantern. To them they were both comic book characters and therefore the same thing...till they watched and whatever expectation they went in with was 180 different from what they had in front of them.

I've heard of confusing Star Wars and Star Trek all the time.
    I feel if you're in tune enough to even know of Babylon 5 you shouldn't be confusing it with BSG.

I don't see how anyone confuses X-Men and Avengers though. There isn't even a similar naming convention or type of characters, at least as seen in the movies for the GA to confuse.

11. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well after the war, Captain America is trying to make the X-Men and the Avengers he same thing.

Your friend might just be prophetic?

Except for the X-squads still being hunted from one side of the country to the other like dogs.

12. Greg Cox

To anyone who doesn't read comic books and doesn't really care, they're both "that movie where a bunch of superheroes team up."

"Based on Marvel Comics, right?"

So calling the new show ARROW was probably a shrewd move . . . .

13. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Yes, he wanted the goofy superhero comedy with Ryan Reynolds.

BAZINGA!

14. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

That would mean they also get confused by having Fantastic Four in the mix and any inevitable Justice League film.
    I say inevitable, I hope I'm right in using that word and not just being optimistic.

I really just don't see confusing X-Men and Avengers.
    I accept it happened in a one off anecdotal moment but don't think it's a widespread issue. Not in the way this line of discussion was brought up with the Green Arrow, Green Lantern or Green Hornet way.

15. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

My flatmate asked me if Spider-Man was going to be in the Justice league once.

Long ago, after it became clear that my girlfriend couldn't tell the difference between even starwars and star trek... I just started calling "everything" SPACESHIPS a little manically repeatedly, instead of trying to explain the difference with a lot of different words, just saying the same word over and over again until she went away, but when someone actually uses the word "dissasociate" to express how they deal with conversations with you, they don't deserve a lot of effot, to stress that I would put the garbage out after the reruns of Farscape had finished.

16. Greg Cox

I don't know. To a lot of people, all that crazy superhero comic book stuff is the same . . . .

Like I said, I bumped into the Babylon-5/Battlestar Galactica mixup just this morning. Hey, it's spaceship show that sounds like "Babylon" or "Battlestar" or something . . . .

17. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

That's because it's not a widespread issue, especially for the audiences actually watching these shows/movies. For some reason, a lot of nerds need to feel that their interests are strange and mysterious to the "common man on the street," and if it's something they know a modicum about, clearly it must be foreign and alien to the rest of the cosmos. Especially if your 60-year-old mom is the only girl you talk to. Worse, if it's something they don't much about, it's completely and utterly foreign and alien to the world at large. (Case in point: If the electricity goes out, mankind loses the knowledge of how to bake bread.)

The real reason for the name of the show is as I pointed out earlier in the thread. They just love one word titles for whatever bizarre reason. Somehow it's "cool." Smallville did it with its title and episode titles. Online gaming groups do it. 'Cause it's hip and edgy, yo.

18. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm even surprised that they knew about Babylon 5.

19. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

So I watched the pilot at CW.com last night and mostly enjoyed it. I came in blind, not having seen any previews or online spoilers, or even having had entered this thread before seeing it, which was refreshing. I'll be back for more.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can't remember for sure, but I think I did read an interview where admitted they wanted to go with a less comic booky sounding name.