McWeeny has a theory about this movie

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Admiral Buzzkill, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Urgent Sky

Urgent Sky Commodore Commodore

I second that. McWeeny is a sharp guy, so I wouldn't be surprised if he nailed it again.

2. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Why not? The ultimate deception would be to keep letting out information that keeps people focused on speculating about Cumberbatch's character, while the truly big reveal will be Weller's character, who is getting little or no attention.

Problem is, it's been said Weller's character is new to canon. Wait. Technically, Robert April would be new to canon, wouldn't he? Hmm.

It may be April's gatling gun being used by Cumberbatch's character. Who knows?

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah, okay, Mr. Shaw. :lol:

It's been suggested that Weller is playing Admiral Marcus, Carol's father who apparently appears in the movie.

4. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

What if someone is getting fired today at Bad Robot for leaving the book open to that page (or even having the book there in the first place)? :)

5. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"April's Gatling Gun." Maybe the villain is actually named John Harrison and the name of the gun is simply his former commanding officer's who was killed in action. Maybe Harrison thought Starfleet abandoned them, left them to die at the hands of the Klingons or something, and now seeks revenge for it?

Now that commanding officer could still have been Robert April, and maybe he was in-command of a ship named Enterprise, just not the current one, I mean is there any reason why there couldn't have been a ship with that name prior to the NCC-1701? And if so, is it still around?

6. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Could have even more fun with this, and give Captain April some of Garth's backstory (which would also explain the youthful appearance)...

7. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or a promotion for the brilliant idea of scribbling Aprils name there and leaving it for curious eyes to discover.

8. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

[trailer announcer voice]
    "Remember Porthos? He's not missing anymore. Porthos has rematerialized... and he's pissed." [/anncr voice]

9. Shilliam Watner

Shilliam Watner Commander

Or Harrison April.

10. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  11. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

12. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

13. The Habs Fan

The Habs Fan Commodore Commodore

The only problem with this theory is why would they cast Benicio Del Toro in the role (originally)? Unless that was also a huge planned misdirection.

14. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Is there any reason why Benicio Del Toro couldn't have played Robert April? As far as I know the character was conjectural anyway, so him appearing in this film would actually be his first canon appearance wouldn't it?

15. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just hope they put half as much effort into actually writing this movie as they have into actively confusing people about it.

16. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

April as the villain... This could really work, actually.

17. Matt S

Matt S Lieutenant Red Shirt

Khannnnnn!!!!!
    Aprillllllllllll!

hmm......

18. Crewman Pratt

Crewman Pratt Ensign Newbie

I'm impressed by this theory! April as the bad guy. Who woulda thunk it>

19. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

I like this theory as well! Please forgive me if it's been mentioned in this thread already, but wasn't the one concept for April that he have a British accent?

For some reason, I remember once reading or hearing that Roddenberry thought of April that way.

20. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

James Doohan did use a British accent when he voiced April in TAS. And April has been described as British in the novels that have featured him.