50th Anniversary Trailer Description

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Jul 21, 2013.

1. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

RTD's scripts are fairly notorious for the lack of rules and structure. All of his scripts contain an abundance of contradictions, so it's impossible to really tell what he was trying to say about the Time War. It's possible he did intend on the Ninth Doctor being the Time War Doctor, but simply forgot he included the mirror scene in Rose.

I mean, apparently the time lock was impossible to breach. But then like.. it wasn't and anything could get through as long as it was small?

The guy loved to write people on council estates referencing celebrities and discussing knickers, but have him write a sci-fi storyline and you're kinda fucked.

2. Atticus

Atticus Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm intrigued why you would imagine the writer would put it in then? What was his intention?

3. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Have you not been reading others posts in this thread? Including mine?

4. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Nothing regeneration-related. :)

5. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm pretty appalled at the lack of poor quality camera versions of the trailer buzzing around the internet. I think this could be the first time people at Comic Con actually DO respect secrecy.

Gits.

6. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

He clearly is the Doctor after the Time War. So the point stands regardless of whether he just regenerated or not.

At any rate, my main point was that they should've hired McGann.

Mr Awe

7. Mr Awe

8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've always speculated that it wasn't actually part of the script but rather Eccleston ad-libbed it on set. But there supposedly is proof that it was in the script.

9. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it's far more likely that Davies, a cheeky fanboy, dropped in a reference to a gag from other Doctors' first stories than that Eccleston, not a fan, did the same. It was a little nod to tradition, not a statement of narrative intent.

10. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Oh, and just so no one gets the idea, I'm completely sold on Eccelston wasn't fairly recently Regenerated, I completely accept the possibility that he was. I was only saying it is not a foregone conclusion, it's just as likely he recently Regenerated or that he Regenerated long ago, and just never looked in the mirror. It would have to be at least a little while before meeting Rose though, because the belief is he Regenerated due to some deadly Time War action, and it always takes The Doctor a full adventure to get through his Regeneration Crises/Fits/insanity, etc and Eccelston was already quite himself when he first met Rose, so, it's a good bet, he hadn't Regenerated less than a week before meeting her.

11. All-Seeing I

All-Seeing I Commander Red Shirt

Can't remember which episode it was, but Eccleston was being all snarky about humans having such tiny brains, etc, and Rose says he's like that, blames the human race "when he cuts himself shaving", or something similar - so if the Doctor has to shave, he was doing it without looking in a mirror post-regeneration. Maybe he popped into the barbers, true, but he'd still have to sit and look at himself in the mirror.

The way I took it: he'd regenerated recently, just time enough to recover from its effects and get back on the trail of the Nestenes. The photos that Clive showed Rose - the Doctor did a bit of travelling between leaving Rose with Mickey, and then deciding to go back and dangle the time-travel carrot in front of her.

12. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

So you wanted them to say the 8th Doctor was unworthy of the name? :wtf:

Do the words internet s@#t storm mean anything to you?

13. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Or, when the scene was written/ filmed, the writers anticipated Eccleston remaining in the role a bit longer than one season and that there would be lots of time for his character to have had all those adventures in our past/ his future. Just like how the writers of TNG's Relics didn't know that Generations would contradict Scotty's line about Kirk getting the Enterprise out of mothballs to rescue him.

14. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Suck's for the U.K because it was in America that the trailer was shown

Sucks for both sides because it's not being released at all

15. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

So BBC licence payers can’t see content that they paid for.:wtf:

16. Trevacious

Trevacious Captain Captain

Yep, perfect opportunity, right there. And those solo travels may have convinced him again that he needed a companion and to try again with Rose.

(After a stop off to play Father Christmas when she was 12, perhaps, haha.)

17. Mr Awe

It would've further developed a character that long-term fans have known. So I think it adds to the story.

For new fans, it's really no different than the route the show actually seems to be taking.

Those types of storms are actually pretty amusing to watch! :)

Mr Awe

18. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

The trailer description sounds very cool but it is disappointing that BBC has decided to never release that trailer. I really don't understand the point of that. Some kind of time delay, sure, but never? That only pisses people off.

However, I'm more bummed out that I missed the trailer for An Adventure in Time and Space while it was briefly online. I had to go to Germany this weekend. :p

19. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not RIGHT NOW, no. But this stuff does ultimately become available in one form or another, right? In the meantime, licensees are with the rest of us plebes who an't afford to go to SDCC...

Mark

20. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

It looks like the spiritual sequel to The Hour (the Ben Whishaw, Romola Garai, Dominic West series). But with Daleks and Cybermen. :)