Has there ever been a good reason...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Bry_Sinclair, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

...why in Season 4, after she enters Starfleet, T'Pol isn't made to wear a standard uniform?

When she was accepted into SF, she would have to abide by their rules and regulations and comply with wearing the uniform. I can't think of any decent arguments for her keeping the catsuits but just adding a little trimming to them, unless Archer just wants to perv over her.

The times we did see her in the uniform she pulled it off very well, acknowledging the fact that she is a curvey woman but also making her look professional.

Was there ever a reason given?

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Not in-universe, no. Of course we know the out-of-universe reason why.

I think that she looked better in the standard uniform. As did Seven of Nine and Deanna Troi. Funny, that...

3. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Add Kira Nerys to that list. :)

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Are we talking her original Bajoran uniform or the Starfleet uniform she later wore? I thought she looked great in the latter. :techman:

5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sorry, but a standard Bajoran Militia uniform doesn't qualify as a catsuit. Kira always wore the appropriate uniform.

6. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Many people look good in uniforms, especially if fitted right to show that they are fit and healthy, whilst still keeping them sexy and alluring--without the need to expose flesh. Jadzia was always a good example of this, the vast majority of the time she was in uniform and looked great, without having to highlight the fact she has the necessary organs to breastfeed.

Kira always was in Bajoran uniforms, though I do think after they got rid of the old shoulder pad version for her, they should have done the same for all the extras. But she did look great in the Starfleet one as well, shame we never got to see later DS9 seasons where she would have made the switch permanent.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It wasn't completely fair that she wore a uniform until she completed her 4 years at the academy, no matter what her rank was on paper. Maybe she had plans to do the course work at some point and then she could wear the uniform with out being called a scab.

8. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Who said it did? I only meant that she looked awesomer in a Starfleet uniform.

...And besides, they did sexy-up her Bajoran uniform just a little bit in the later years. :)

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I remember when the hype for the retooled season three was going on, there were reports (on Skytext in the UK) that the crew were all given new hairstyles, and T'Pol had a sexy new costume that showed off her midriff - but after a day of filming decided to change most of it back. Are there any pics of these alternate looks for the characters? Or was the story BS?

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Are you sure you're not thinking of a report on the filming of "In a Mirror, Darkly" in season 4? Mirror T'Pol had longer hair (Blalock's real hair for once) and a midriff-baring uniform.

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just checked the airdates in the UK, I read this prior to season 3's premiere here on Jan 05, 2004. "In a Mirror, Darkly" aired in the US on April 22 2005. I don't think it matches up. I'm certain it was about the changes made in season three. Perhaps it was just a BS rumour they reported.

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, it's entirely possible that the producers tried out various costume and hair options before settling on one; that's pretty routine in any design process, to test out alternatives before settling on the best. There are photos out there of some alternative looks for Deanna Troi at the start of TNG, and we know they tried various makeup options for Data before settling on the one we got. So since they gave T'Pol a new look at the start of season 3, it seems likely that they would've done camera tests of different hairstyles and costume options and then settled on one. Maybe some reporter just caught a glimpse of one of those camera tests.

13. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Since you asked, and just for the record, Skywalker's list was defined within the context of this thread. And since you said you were adding to that list, that implied you were counting it as one. Surely, you must have known that.

---

Thanks for the clarification. By the way, I think Kira always looked awesome.

They never stooped to the egregiousness demonstrated in the other series. For all its faults, I gotta give DS9 props for that.

They never stooped with Kira's uniforms, except when they went over to the Mirror Universe. I guess for those episodes we were supposed to assume out-of-universe that they were going over-the-top for some sort of fun.

14. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

IMO, there really isn't much difference between female 24th-Century Starfleet uniforms and catsuits other than the coloring--both are extremely tight, one-piece outfits. They even come with padded bras, although not to the extent of Jeri Ryan's outfit in VOY perhaps.

And I also thought T'Pol didn't look that great in the 22nd-Century Starfleet uniform. I don't know if one was never specifically tailored for Blalock, but it seemed slightly ill-fitting on her to me--as if it had been made for someone else with bigger shoulders.

15. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I also thought Kira looked better in a SF uni...and I *hated* the pre-FC unis on DS9.

I also think it's kind of funny that Jeri Ryan played her character so well and in such an acerbic manner as to render any potential sexiness null. IMO of course.

16. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've always said the same. And more power to her for it!

17. Guy Gardener

Neelix displayed more passion cooking dinner, than Seven expressed during the seduction of Harry Kim.

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

It was Ron Moore's idea to put Troi in the uniform, which Marina Sirtis was eager to oblige with.

Moore himself has commented how ridiculous Seven's catsuit was, calling it "eye candy with no content".

19. Guy Gardener

Who could have anticipated that we were the Ferengi hungering for our FE-males to be more kaid down with clothing?

Seriously.

That was the 80s philosophy manifest.

Only naked women like sex.

(Morons.)

20. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

LOL, did he say it with a straight face?

No Content? Is he blind, Seven's catsuit was busting out with contents ;)

Seriously, though, other than Marina Sirtis having wider hips, there was really no difference in the revealing-ness of their costumes. There is no more justification for Troi's outfit than there was for Seven's. They both showed off every bit as much of the wearers body as the other, and neither could be justified with anything other than being eye candy