The unofficial Rock Band thread.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Aragorn, May 30, 2008.

1. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have a feeling Activision is going to kill the market with all their flooding.

2. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Harmonix isn't helping matters with Beatles and Lego.

Yeah, there are some new features and the Beatles wank aesthetic for Beatles fans... but there's no reason why the songs can't just be available for RB2 for people who don't really care about any of the trappings.

3. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

Well, i didn't buy the Metallica game because i don't like their music that much and i might get the Greatest Hits game if/when it gets marked down...
    Right now Guitar Hero 5 and Lego - Rock Band seem to be the 2 games i'm most likely to get full price, maybe The Beatles one as well...
    Band Hero depends on the tracklist, Van Halen, maybe...

4. Rincewiend

Some news about Guitar and Band Hero:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3175494

Following in the footsteps of Harmonix...

5. firehawk12

God, 1up needs a copy editor... want have to swap? Really? :p

You know, I didn't even get through the career in GH4. I suppose if I ever get GH5, I could at least just skip the career mode crap.

6. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With the imported songs Guitar Hero will only be lagging Rock Band by a good... year as a platform. But hey, maybe GH5 will have a good engine, and I'll actually be able to get some mileage out of the WT on disc songs. This is also more incentive for me to pick up Smash Hits at some point.

7. firehawk12

Well, if Lego, RB2 and Beatles become three separate platforms... then Harmonix is just as jank nowadays.

8. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

No reason not to. All songs are available to play in Quickplay from the start in Metallica and Smash Hits and this will continue with GH5.

Just skip Band Hero. Lily Allen = AUTOFAIL.

9. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

If anyone is interested, today's Amazon.com video game deal of the day is the Rock Band 2 bundle for $90 on the 360, PS3 and Wii.

10. kustirider2

kustirider2 Commander Red Shirt

Does anyone know when RB2 comes out for the Wii in Europe? The release date seems to be pushing further and further back... and I don't really trust wikipedia's dates.

11. Yoda

^Ugh, you guys don't even have RB2 yet? Sorry, I guess Harmonix hates you guys :(

12. Messianni

Messianni Commodore Commodore

No it's not just the "dreamscapes" or whatever they call them. It's also the up-to-three singers harmonizing that's unique to the game.

Really is it that big of a deal? Guitar Hero is much worse with it and if that's what it takes to actually get The Beatles to be playable in a rhythm game, so be it. Christ, you still can't download their songs on any digital platform like Amazon or iTunes. I'm still surprised this is happening at all.

And why knock a Lego Rock Band? It's meant for a younger audience and you're obviously not the target demographic; it's not meant to impress you. At least The Beatles: Rock Band actually does have added game mechanics unlike the Guitar Hero Aerosmith/Metallica/Van Halen games.

13. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

We do, just not on the Wii. It's out on Xbox 360, PS3 and PS2.

14. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Beatles game apparently also features an actual story mode, with rendered cut scenes, and progressing through it apparently unlocks tons of archival photos, interviews and video footage. In other words, it sounds like Harmonix is going for a different experience to the game's presentation, one which is geared to be really rewarding for Beatles fans.

And the Guitar Hero: Metallica game did add a few things, most notably the Expert+ drumming mode that adds a second pedal for the .001% of players who can actually handle it...

15. Yoda

DLC for next week:
    Blind Melon was fun enough in WT. Not very hard though, probably not worth the double dip. Definitely going to pick up Foo Fighters. The free Dropkick Murphys tracks were pretty good in GH3 so I might pick that up if it sounds interesting. The rest I'll probably skip. Maybe Eve 6 for when people come over to play full band, that kind of popular song always goes over well.

16. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I too will be picking up the Foo's tracks. :techman:

17. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

Grabbin the Foo Fighters, and definately Dropkick Murphys, what a great song!

18. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

If they released the "Blackout" album, I would snap that up.

19. Rincewiend

For GH:WT

20. firehawk12

I hate Actiblizzion, but I think Harmonix is getting a free pass for doing the exact same thing.
    It's exactly like the AC/DC thing, except that at least they let you put the songs into Rock Band proper.

Maybe there's junk for people who like the Beatles. Ultimately, I only care about the songs. If I wanted an "experience", I'd watch Across the Universe or whatever that movie was called.

And don't get me started on day 1 DLC. Not enough that they make a game where you're locked into the platform... you buy the game for 60 bucks and then find out you have to buy another album online if you want more of their songs. Thanks, but no thanks. No band is worth that trouble, however prolific and important they may be.