I don't think Voyager gets the right credit

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Oynaq, Nov 10, 2013.

?

Other than the original which is the best Star Trek?

1. Next Generation

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  2. Deep Space Nine

19 vote(s)
    44.2%
  3. Voyager

15 vote(s)
    34.9%
  4. Enterprise

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  5. They did not let Enterprise develope Enough?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Oynaq

Oynaq Ensign Newbie

I just got finished watching all 7 seasons of Voyager. Now I am a BIG original fan and that can never be replaced. But when I watched Voyager to me it was the apex of what the Next Generation and Deep Space Nine was building up to. Janeway is not my favorite Captain, but I have no reason to talk bad about her.

The story lines and crew developed into so much a stronger to the "star trek" theme. I don't think they get the credit they deserve.

What do you think?

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Loaded question. You're operating on the assumption everyone thinks TOS is the best. This is not true. But in the spirit of the thread...

DS9
    TNG
    VOY
    TOS
    ENT

And quite honestly, I'm thinking of putting Enterprise over TOS these days... the only thing holding it in 4th is the original six movies simply rock.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Best" isn't always the same as "Favorite" either..

I'm voting for love.

4. R. Star

A subtle distinction! I'll win teacake over to the Niners yet! ;)

5. teacake

I'm a huge niner, I've watched it all the way through 5 times now. I just don't post on that forum as much because it's uhh.. not as fun? Yeah, that will do.

6. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Voyager is a very underrated series (IMO). It's not good enough to surpass DS9, but is still very much the second-best series in the franchise (again, IMO).

7. Oynaq

Oynaq Ensign Newbie

Now everyone don't get me wrong, the original was not the best made, the best acted, the best story lines. But Gene Roddenberry only had a very limited budget and he did the best he had to work with. The network killed it after 3 years from low ratings, but look what those three seasons started. For that reason I took them off the list. Out of respect.

8. DigificWriter

I've never been much of a TOS fan despite having seen 5 of the 6 original movies and the two JJ Abrams-verse movies and being, in general, familiar with the characters.

I do intend to do a TOS watch-through at some point, though (probably once I've finished the other four series).

9. R. Star

I always called TOS the foundation upon which bigger and better things were built. There are some members of this board who might string me up for uttering such blasphemy. ;)

Though it's safe to say... on the Voyager board... Voyager's gonna win. You might get a more meaningful result if you posted this on General Trek.

Welcome to the board, by the way! :)

10. teacake

I had a few years there where I was watching DS9, VOY and ENT in marathon rewatches and whichever one I was watching at the time was my favorite.

I don't like comparing TOS to the others because it really is both of another era and the foundation upon which everything else is built. Also I'm not very objective about TOS, when I watch it I have the same intense feelings I did when I first saw it when young.. even the music heard so many times pulls at me.

11. teacake

Which movie haven't you seen?

OH and as to polls.. well they only tell us (obviously) what this bbs likes. Having met a ton of Trek fans IRL who never talk about Trek on forums etc.. I'm always surprised at how different the general opinion is than the forum opinions :lol:

12. DigificWriter

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

I also only recently saw The Undiscovered Country (watching it as an appendix to my Voyager [re]watch-through).

13. R. Star

As bad as everyone says it is, it's worth watching. It offers a great view to how Shatner views his character. ;)

14. teacake

Did you LOVE the Undiscovered Country??

I hope you loved it.

Also, there is fan dancing in V and the whole thing is camp, camp, camp. Hilarious stuff.

15. DigificWriter

I'll get around to watching it at some point (probably during my TOS watch-through).

@teacake: Yes, I did enjoy TUC, although The Voyage Home is still my favorite movie of the 5 'prime-Verse' TOS films that I've seen.

16. teacake

Excellent.

I have only seen TMP twice which is pretty shocking considering the amount of times I've seen all the rest of Star Trek. I love V and VI the most of the TOS movies.

17. maneth

maneth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Voyager has some very good stories, certainly, but I must confess that it tends to be last on my list of favorite Treks. Like all of them it took a while for it to find its stride, but by the middle of the 5th season it was all about Seven and the Doctor, and I was losing interest.

I like the idea of a woman as captain, but I think the writers got lazy with her. In one episode she'd be bending over backwards to try to think of a diplomatic solution without the need to fight, in the next she'd shoot first and ask questions later. I really hope this wasn't because the writers thought a woman would get away with less consistent behavior than a man would...

18. Oynaq

Oynaq Ensign Newbie

LOL, everyone, I am 50 so I was hooked on Star Trek before most of you. On the TOS movies. And this is before the Next Generation movies started. One rule you have to keep in mind.

"Even number on the "Star Trek Movies" don't suck. LOL, that means 2,4, 6 are worth watching.

19. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I finished re-reading Shatner's Star Trek Movie Memories yesterday. A lot of the problems in STV aren't his fault as a director, as he got jerked around by the studio and his producer and budgets just like anyone else. He was disappointed that the ending was basically cobbled together and bore no resemblance to his initial goals.
    Roddenberry, of course, hated it, just like he hated II, III, IV, and especially VI.

Welcome to the old-timers club. Got you beat by 12 years. ;)

20. Oynaq

Oynaq Ensign Newbie