Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JJ-R, Sep 5, 2012.

1. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

They only 'hope' to be able to guide the VFX? :eek: Has their parent company CBS not learned anything from Season 2? They're still insisting on holding CBS-D to impossible timelines?

For goodness sake, this is ridiculous. CBS, give CBS-D an extra month per season at the very least, and allow them to ensure the quality is consistent this time. Do they not care about their investment? This is a complicated project, it can't just be slapped together.

2. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Don't rush to judgement so quickly! Season 4 is a way off yet, we haven't seen the work, it's a different company and - as I mentioned - CBS-D hope to guide the VFX.

3. NewHorizon

Oh, I'm not judging the final product yet but rather CBS's apparent insistence that CBS-D and whatever companies they outsource too meet these tight deadlines.

It's one thing to have set some initial guidelines before they knew just how much work there was, but now that two Seasons are finished CBS should have the sense to reassess the deadlines and grant a little extra breathing space to protect the quality of their investment in this project.

4. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TrekCore, thanks for posting pics from The Schizoid Man.

When watching, I noticed an odd choice from HTV. When the Enterprise warps away from Graves' World, there is no transition to the 2-foot model. It remains the 6-footer.

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x06/theschizoidman_hd_059.jpg

Compared to CBS-D's work:
    http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x01/farpoint_hd_042.jpg

They 'cheated' the effect by using a still image, and then stretched and shrunk it. I don't understand why they would redo a stock effect completely from scratch without using the correct element.

5. NewHorizon

Unreal. They've got some real pros at HTV.

6. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

Without using the correct element and redoing the shot in such a way that it makes the Enterprise look bland and colourless in comparison to the shot in the title sequence. I'd love to know how some of these effects were approved.

7. jimbotron

Thank goodness they ported the main credits from season 1. I would have cringed if HTV took a stab at it.

8. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

£44 on Amazon. That'll do me thank-you very much. :-)

9. mr.peany

mr.peany Commodore Commodore

Does anybody know why scenes shot on the bridge have so much grain that borderlines on noise compared to some of the other live action shots that look terrific by comparison?

Did they use different lighting/film stock?

10. NewHorizon

I would say it's a combination of lighting/film stock and HTV Illuminate.

11. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Apologies if this has come up before, but something caught my eye while watching Q Who today, so I thought I'd investigate.

They have used completely alternate takes for at least seven shots during the sequence where Worf shoots a Borg drone in engineering. Anyone heard/seen anything about this? I assume it's either a revisionist directorial decision or maybe the exact shots had gone missing? I'm not worried at all, just curious. And I wonder how often this has been happening and not noticed.

[​IMG]

I also want to say how I really like the updated 'dead drone' effect. (The one that happens when a fallen Borg is disintegrated.) Much nicer than the plain old dissolve, but still simple and unobtrusive.

12. NewHorizon

That is interesting...to say the least. I wonder if we could get a straight answer on that from anyone? HTV apparently used some state of the art identification software to compare the original footage and match it automatically.

From what I recall, we've been told all of the original footage for Season 2 was found, minus a few seconds...isn't that right?

Alternate takes wouldn't qualify as having found the 'original' footage from the episode though.

So I'm curious...mistake or intentional. Perhaps we can ask Mike Okuda or Robert Meyer Burnett? They seem pretty open about this stuff.

13. GameOn

GameOn Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The close up shots of the second Borg also look upscaled to me.
    [​IMG]

14. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought something seemed a bit different with that first shot. I remembered there being a bit more space in the frame between Worf and the Borg.

It's not a huge deal, but I do think the composition is a bit more dramatic in the original version.

15. jimbotron

It doesn't look upscaled, but there appears to be heavy compression in that shot. Something went wrong there.

16. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Oh my god! Some shots in the episode are very slightly different!

Someone demand a recall! Answers! I demand answers! Picard's body covering up the panel while the klaxon lights are off is CRUCIAL to the show's integrity and continuity!

17. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Who exactly are you trying to imitate? No one has reacted with any alarm at all in this thread, so I'm not sure what the point of your sarcastic rant is.

18. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Ahem:

Seems a pretty strong reaction to slightly different shots. Really, saying this isn't the "original" footage, wanting to contact people involved in the show and this project to ask them questions about these very slightly different shots?

19. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

I suppose they could've put fine-print wording on the packaging similar to what was done with Season One. Something along the lines of, "Certain shots could not be located or were too badly damaged, so alternate takes were used."

Also, perhaps these takes were chosen for other reasons.

I notice, for instance, that in the original wide shot on DVD you can see a boom mike in the upper left (it's more noticeable in motion). CBS Digital would just have erased it or re-framed the shot downward as they have done on so many other shots in S1, but perhaps HTV was too lazy to do either, so they just picked an alternate take! :lol:

20. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I dunno, it seemed pretty moderate to me. Curiosity over the situation, no demands made...use of the word perhaps. ;)

Of course, I'm not in NewHorizon's mind, maybe he was spitting mad when he wrote that; flinging his poop and punching cats in the face. It's difficult to say for sure.