Star Blazers - Space Battleship Yamato - Should I?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by T J, Feb 3, 2009.

1. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

As so often I do, I scan the Trek BBS for references and hints to new and interesting things. Today I caught the mention of an old anime called Star Blazers and Space Battleship Yamato, which if I understand correctly is the same thing. I’ve done a bit of researching but I’m still a somewhat confused. From what little I’ve glimpsed I’m interested.

What I need from ya good folks is information. As in, proper viewing order, I understand there might have been a movie that kicked the whole thing off, I need to watch before starting season 1. I also understand there is a remastered version, do I want the originals or the remastered.

To those that love this show how should I watch it? Is it worth watching or is it kinda lame?

Edumacate me! :shifty:

2. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

3. roguephoenix

roguephoenix Captain Captain

i loved these when i was a kid. i recently tried to rewatch but found myself not in the same frame of mind. i think you have to be open to it's way of story telling and give it a chance. as a kid i thought this was awesome since i hadn't had a lot of stuff that i watched yet.

4. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

^ Yeah, Netflix has it, and I tried to watch, but couldn't make it pass disc 1.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I liked it when it originally aired, but I haven't seen it in ages, so I don't know what I'd think of it now. I still fondly remember the music, though.

6. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

Watch the Japanese version the edits aren't there and you don't have to put up with that awful dub.

7. Christopher

I liked the English dub on the first two seasons, though of course it was the only version I knew. There were some good voices there, particularly Mark Venture and Desslok, though some that weren't so good. I didn't care for the dub on the third season, which was done by the people who dubbed Speed Racer. The whole cast was different and much smaller. From what I can tell, there were something like five people doing all the voices, but to my ear, it sounded like there was just one or two men and one woman doing everybody.

8. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

It's not bad, tho the animation hasn't aged well.

9. The Master of Tarquin Hill

The Master of Tarquin Hill Commodore Commodore

I watched it in the 80's as a kid and loved it. I re-watched it around 2003 or 04 and it was all I could do to get to the last disc. On the upside, I think I resold it for more than I bought it for.

BTW, everything I just said goes for Robotech's first season as well.

10. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

Well after the first few episodes I have some thoughts. Definitely feeling the 70's vibe from the music to the bell bottoms. The overall story is not bad, certainly would have been better had I caught this when I was 7. :lol:

Resurrecting the Japanese warship Yamato... Very strange to see a warship my forefathers blasted into the deep be resurrected like it was all honorable and noble instead of a murderous dishonorable hulk deserving of it's eternal silence. At at least they renamed the bastard!:guffaw:

Of course the science is either thin or non-existent. Continents floating above the clouds of Jupiter, and naturally the evil Galaxy terrorizing bad buys... Look exactly like humans! :wtf:

Not like I was expecting Star Trek XI or anything. :shifty: ;)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  11. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My comments are similar to what others have said. As a 10 year old c. 1980 "Star Blazers" was great, I used to get up half an hour early so I could watch the show before school on my local UHF station (why they never showed it in the afternoon like "Battle of the Planets" I never understood). It made quite an impression, 25 years later I could still remember some of the names, details and important scenes.

I got it from Netflix a couple of years ago and only made it through three discs. I have to say, however, for a kid show it was pretty good. It had strong characters, some thoughtful themes, a sense of grand scale, alien politics and intrigue, and generally more substance than an average "cartoon." The animation looks crude now, but the compositions were often very cinematic and ambitious. I have never seen the Japanese original, but the US version didn't give me a feeling of being dumbed down.

That still wasn't enough to keep me watching as an adult, but I think it was probably a good influence on me when I saw it originally.

Only for the US version!

--Justin

12. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

The first SF series with season-long arc storylines. I was sold on that format immediately because of this show. It's really quite entertaining, especially the first season, which is epic in scope. You'll be surprised how much has been ripped off from this show in future SF productions. I agree with the above poster that you should see the subtitled and unedited Japanese version.

13. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't seen it personally, but for a good reason. I've learned years ago that I tend to hate everything by Leiji Matsumoto, and find series he has written, directed, or was otherwise involved in bore me to death, or are way too preachy for my tastes, sometimes both. I watched Queen Emaraldas and DNA Sights 999 which didn't do much for me. I also got only one volume into The Galaxy Railways and dropped that due to lack of interest. I learned my lesson and try not subject myself to his titles.

Works like these are definitely an aquired taste if you ask me.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  14. Christopher

Naturally the Japanese have a different historical perspective on the events. And surely you can't blame a vehicle for the decisions made by the people controlling it.

Anyway, it was discovered in 1999 that the wreck of Yamato is in two pieces, much more badly torn up than Matsumoto presumed. So there's no way it could've been repaired as shown in the series.

15. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

Naturally. ;)

16. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

live-action Star Blazers - Space Battleship Yamato feature film

reboot as live-action space battleship fun

and this is interesting after Star Trek VOY & ENT
    :30 second trailer.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONkh786EbSg&feature=player_embedded

check out the bridge at :17! it's huge!

Man I would love to see this on the big screen. Can't help but to compare to Trek feature films for the space battle scenes.

via
    http://io9.com/5438423/live+action-star-blazers-trailer-gives-us-goosebumps

17. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I've seen Farewell to Space Battle Ship Yamato parts of which (or the storyline at least) was in the second series of Starblazers when they go up against the Comet Empire.

Fuck what a dark ending. No way in hell that would of made it into the weekly series when kids were the main audience.

18. CaptainHarlock

CaptainHarlock Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

* There are 3 series and 5 movies of the original Yamato anime.

What can cause some confusion is that the first movie (Space Battleship Yamato) is the first serie (Quest to Iscander) condensed in a two hour movie. And the second movie (Farewell Yamato) was later transformed in the second serie (The Comet Empire).

That are the chronological order:

1. Quest to Iscandar (26 episodes)

2. The Comet Empire (26 episodes) - in the end of farewell yamato, well, was a really end, so the history was rewrite. The Comet Empire serie is canon.

3. Television movie - Yamato The New Journey (not release in american tv).

4. Theatrical movie Be Forever Yamato (not release in american tv).

5. Bolar Wars (26 episodes) - was release in american tv, but with different voice cast.

6 Theatrical movie Final Yamato.

I have fond memories of Yamato anime. For a child in the 80s see that ship in space, with all that guns, the people with big hair fighting for the Earth, blow the shit out me.

And especially the first two series (Quest to Iscandar and Comet Empire) have a great history. Is like a Star Trek and Battleship Galactica together.

I have several videos of Starblazers in my youtube channel. What I most like is the openning of Bolar War and the final scene of Comet Empire.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9fUryAT8Sw&feature=player_embedded[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqyqd4Bums8&feature=player_embedded[/yt]

19. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

That could be a problem for the live action movie.

20. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

Since when does fact stop sci-fi?