Was siskos birth Certificate faked?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by WesleysDisciple, Sep 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WesleysDisciple

WesleysDisciple Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Surely he'd have noted Mother : Sisko, sarah, on it?

did his dad have it faked, or altered , very hard to do.

You'd think he'd have seen his own birht certificate or at least bio that should list his parents at some point.

2. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

^A lot of people have never seen their birth certificates. I'm over thirty years old and have never bothered to look at mine. My parents have it somewhere, but I've never seen it.

--Sran

3. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Who looks at their own birth certificate? I know I've been born. I don't need the paperwork to prove it.

Besides, most birth certificates are held by the government, aren't they? With copies issued on an as-needed basis, I thought.

4. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought for sure this was going to be a joke thread about Obama and the birthers. Not sure whether to be disappointed or pleasantly surprised. Probably a little of both.

On topic, I've never seen my birth certificate. Never saw any particular need. It's just the kind of thing you don't question until or unless you have a reason to.

5. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Really? None of you have seen your birth certificate? I've had to use mine as a form of identification on multiple occasions.

Although perhaps there's a difference in what a "birth certificate" is between Ontario and other jurisdictions. My birth certificate does not make any reference to my parents, whereas the OP implies a birth certificate would list the parents in their part of the world.

6. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I've never seen any proof of my birth either. I wonder if my real mother was possessed by a Prophet.

7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I've seen mine and have a copy. Not sure why I needed it.

8. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

As this thread demonstrates, it's not implausible to imagine thart Sisko has never bothered to look art his own birth certificate.

On the other hand, who knows that they still use birth certificates or use them for the same purposes in the 24th Century? For all we know, they might not issue government ID cards anymore.

9. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

I didn't say I've never seen it. I've just never had to see it, as in, I had no particular need to see it, so I can easily believe Sisko had no need or desire to see his certificate. I don't recall if my parents are listed on mine, so who knows if it would be listed on one in the 24th century?

As it happens, my birth state used to issue a little plastic card, the same size and shape as a driver's license, that constituted proof of the holder having a birth certificate on file in the capital. It was a lot more durable and easier to carry around than a paper file.

10. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I used my birth certificate to get a passport, and because I sometimes amuse myself with astrology and wanted my exact birth time. Aside from that, I don't think I've ever had much use for it, and I don't recall ever looking over it in detail.

11. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

These days the only reason you need to even look at your birth certificate is if you are using it as a proof of identification you'd think if Ben needed to prove who he was that it would be through biometric data, which would probably be harder to fake and easier for the individual.

As for him reading a his own bio, the only one I can think he might access is his Starfleet records and would they show have anything on his family more extensive than next of kin, which Sarah would never have been given she died when he was 2 or 3 and therefore long before its a concern for Starfleet.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  12. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, the only time I ever needed my birth certificate was to apply for a passport. It's been over ten years since I even looked at it, so I could be wrong, but I think it had the name of my adoptive father on there anyways.

13. c0rnedfr0g

c0rnedfr0g Commodore Commodore

I had a copy of mine when I needed to cross the border into Canada. Though that was some years ago and now I think you need an actual passport (not sure, as I haven't been back). I don't really recall if I even looked at it very closely at the time either.

14. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well you need a birth certificate to get things like a passport in the UK.

15. Nuto

Nuto Cadet Newbie

In Germany you can get a birth certificate without the names of the parents.

16. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I've seen mine but not until I was into my teens. Sisko may have seen his but his adoptive mother could have been on his, at least by then.

17. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

I needed mine to get my passport.

18. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I don't understand the reason for the Question?

19. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

It's pretty straight forward, would Ben Sisko's personal information include the name of his birth mother.

I would imagine that Sisko would have a relative high Starfleet security clearance. Modern day this would involve at least a cursory look at the parents, siblings, spouses, etc.

Even if he had never seen his own "birth certificate," it kind of hard to believe that Sisko had never seen his own general records, if only to confirm their accuracy.

:)

20. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe he just skimmed them. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.