Cast the new Batman

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dark Gilligan, Jul 23, 2013.

1. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

This... I thought Clooney was perfectly cast in the role. The problems with B&R were with over production and Ahhhnold's over the top one liner-based script.. Well and just the awful script in general...

Clooney would be a great choice for an older, gritty Bruce Wayne/Bats, but it would never happen due to the bad taste in everyone's mouth from B&R...

2. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's a shame Clooney already played Bruce/Batman because he'd be great for the more serious toned older Batman.

3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Heck, Buster Crabbe played Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers back in the day.

(And Tarzan to boot!)

4. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

And he could out-gravitas the hell out of Cavill, an obvious plus that perhaps not too many actors could pull off. Watch him in the excellent The American if ye doubt.

Also, since Clooney's said he played Bruce as gay, they could honor that artistic choice by giving him a husband in a minor/cameo role.

... Played by Chris O'Donnell.

... Hey, who are all those people outside my office? And why are they carrying those torches and pitchforks? :rommie:

5. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I've liked Clooney in everything else I've seen him in and I do think he'd make a good Batman in the right film. But I found his performance in B&R smug and smirking. I didn't think he was doing the best with the material he got - I thought he was part of the problem. But that's only my 2c.

6. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

No, it was horrible.

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've always felt that if you look at Batman & Robin as a comedy it kind of works.

8. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

"I hope you can swim, Mr.Bane!!!" - Arnold Schwarzenegger

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's exactly what it was meant to be -- a campy comedy in the spirit of the Adam West sitcom. Its problem is that it didn't fully commit to that and inserted moments of awkward drama, so that it lacked a consistent tone.

10. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Not to mention an overstuffed , mostly played-straight action finale. It's a mess, to be sure. But then, TDKR is a mess, too, and B&R is shorter. The former has better moments, but, given a choice (and forced to actually watch that choice), I'll take the latter any day. After all, sure, Hathaway looked fantastic, but Uma's vamping was a lot hotter.

11. Captaindemotion

12. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm a fan of Morgan but it doesn't work for me.

13. Captaindemotion

Me either. He might make a good recast for Robert Downey Jr in Iron Man, however.

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I doubt it. Morgan and RDJ are pretty much the same age. Marvel will want to go for someone younger when they recast Stark.

15. Captaindemotion

^Yeah I know. He looks a little less weathered though, IMHO. But in general, it's likely they'll go for a younger man. The days of Sean Connery 'making way for an older man' (as he famously joked about Roger Moore) are long gone.