42--the movie

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by auntiehill, Apr 26, 2013.

?

42--The Jackie Robinson Story

1. Very Good

60.0%
  2. Good

40.0%
  3. Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Disliked

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Just got back from seeing a matinee of "42," the story of how Jackie Robinson came to play for the Brooklyn Dodgers and broke the color-barrier of baseball.

I have ZERO interest in sports, in general, but I really enjoyed this film. As a slice of life in post-War America, this film really does its job well. The threats, the fear, the violence aimed at this one young man were unbelievable but he was able to persevere and keep his dignity, thanks in large part to his wife, his fellow players and of course, Branch Rickey.

I think it's a damn good film--I'd give it a 4 out a 5 stars. Some of the baseball scenes were a bit slow and it may be a bit sentimental, but overall, I thought it worked very well. This is probably also one of the best performances that Harrison Ford has given in a long time; he is a powerful presence in the film and actually disappears a bit into the character. I think that's quite the accomplishment, because it's hard for me to look at him and not think, "OMG! It's Harrison Ford!" ;)

The entire cast does a good job, in fact. And surprisingly, the oh-so-likable Alan Tudyk gives a fantastic performance of the one of the most repulsive characters in all of baseball (at the time). It was rather hard to see him as that character, but he did a good job, because I really hated the guy. Chadwick Boseman deserves praise for his role as Jackie Robinson; it's a powerful but understated performance.

Anyone else see this?

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm definitely planning on it. I can't wait to see how they tell the story. And to see how they bring to life old ballparks like the Polo Grounds and Ebbets Field via CGI.

3. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

I went to see it when it came out a couple of weeks ago.

I enjoyed Harrison Ford's performance as Branch Rickey. "He's a Methodist. I'm a Methodist. God's a Methodist." was my favorite line of the movie.

Didn't care much for Jackie Robinson's family life, though. Just seemed dull to me.

4. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

John C. McGinley's voice as Red Barber was so perfect I wondered if it was lip-synced.

Excellent movie.

5. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I almost didn't recognize Lucas Black as Pee Wee Reese. Holy Cow! The little boy from Sling Blade is now grown man with a receding hairline. I feel so old! :lol:

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Christopher Meloni as Leo Durocher. Is that cool, or what?

7. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

^ Christopher Meloni was awesome! I loved his interactions with Ford (who did give his best performance in at least 15 years).

I found the movie a little sentimental, but that is a small quibble compared to the story and the performances. I wish they had used a more subtle soundtrack though. It practically screamed "you will feel this emotion...now". But again, that is a minor thing in an otherwise very good movie.

8. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am planning to go see the movie this weekend.

9. Captain Dago

Captain Dago Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Seriously? :wtf: McGinley BUTCHERED the Redhead's accent! Threw me out of the movie every time he came on.

Otherwise, pretty good. The movie took the expected liberties with the truth but, hey, when you've got a choice in movies between truth and legend, go with the legend every time.

10. stj

McGinlehy's voice, his or lip-synced, was an uncanny match for the Red Barber I listened to every Friday morning on NPR while driving to work. I know nothing about the local accent.

11. Captain Dago

Captain Dago Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

stj, I listened to those "Fridays with Red," too. I can only assume that you are not from the South. What McGinlehy did was a weird combination of generic southern with some Brooklyn dipthongs. Here's a video of the Ol' Redhead himself recalling Jackie's entry to the Big Leagues: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJNNH2Rizt8

12. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

It might be the one other film I will go out to see this year besides the new Trek film.

13. stj

Accents are an aspect of linguistics, about which I know very little. Maybe you know more than I do. I certainly have no idea what a generic southern accent might be. Also, in real life I have had problems hearing. But to my not-so-good linguistically untutored ears, McGinley sounded very much like the voice in the video. The voice in the newsreel clip within the video didn't sound like Barber at all, so I presume that was someone else?

Interesting to know that McGinley was terrible.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

^ McGinley wasn't terrible. Except maybe for his hairpiece. :p

srsly, I just saw the film and I thought it was great. Only one minor nitpick - the Dodgers were the visiting team in that last game in Pittsburgh, so by definition they couldn't have a walk-off win (the Pirates would still come to bat in the bottom of the ninth). But that's not a big deal really.

Whoever did the CGI for this movie - the flawless digital recreations of places like the Polo Grounds, Ebbets Field, Sportsman's Park, Crosley Field, Forbes Field, etc. - should win an Oscar. Or whatever award they give to effects teams. :techman:

And the acting was stellar all around, of course. I bet it was hard for some of those actors to spout off racist bullshit (like Alan Tudyk did as the Phillies manager)...

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  15. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

An Emmy is for television.

Oscars are for movies.

16. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have not seen the movie. However I heard Mcginley playing red Barber on NPR a couple weeks ago and was very impressed by what a good job he did.

Here's hoping McGinley gets another meaty role now that he's not on scrubs anymore.