Emmy Nominations 2010 announced

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Dream, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I''ll be rooting for LOST and it's actors! Which shows and people do you think deserve to win?

Here is the complete list:
    http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2010/07/08/emmy-nominations-will-glee-snag-the-most/

2. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

I definitely want to see Conan O'Brien take the Variety/Comedy/Musical category.

And I was pleasantly surprised to see the otherwise-ignored Prisoner reimagining get a nomination with Ian McKellen.

Otherwise, there really isn't anything else that interests me in the nominations as I was never a Lost fan, Dexter doesn't turn my crank, and Mad Men puts me to sleep whenever Christina Hendricks isn't on screen.

I was hoping Torchwood: Children of Earth might have scored a mini-series nomination, and I was hoping David Tennant and/or Bernard Cribbins might have sneaked through a nomination somewhere for Doctor Who: End of Time. But, Lost and the McKellen nomination notwithstanding, the Emmys once again show they're not interested in recognizing SF programming.

Alex

3. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Good Wife?

What, really?

I saw the first eight episodes of this series while on an airplane. While I like the basic concept of a wife's perspective on her politico husband's infidelities; the show itself is a tired and trite and rigorously cliched law show. It really has no business being mentioned in the same breath as Mad Men and Dexter.

That said I need to catch up on the latest seasons of both of those shows; but I'd probably want either one to win (which one? I'd have to see those seasons now wouldn't I?)

As for comedy: 30 Rock, I don't get it. It reminds me of Scrubs for some vague and probrably irrational reason; anyway, the writing and the humour is both broad and very weak; the same terrible tradition of the crass American comedy movie (of which Tina Fey has starred in more than a few). The Office, never really tried it, detested the Gervais series; I saw an episode of Modern Family and it wasn't good. There never seems to be comedy on TV anymore that I like but likely I'm not looking hard enough. I dunno, I grew up on a steady diet of The Simpsons and Frasier and every TV yuk seems so barren now... well, excluding the absolutely fantastic genius that is the British series The Inbetweeners, but of course that doesn't count.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  4. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Love all the Glee love, though I'm sad for Cory Monteith, who's stuck in a role that really should be considered Lead, but Morrison has that spot. He's arguably the best actor on the show, but I suspect he's going have a tough time getting recognition.

Really glad Colfer made it (after "Theatricality" I've seriously soured on his character, but that's not his fault, and he's a terrific actor).

Guest Actor (Comedy) is an interesting category to consider, since you've got two nominees (Jon Hamm, Neil Patrick Harris) who are very popular, and multi-time nominees in the past in a different category (which they're also nominated in this year). Will some of the voters try to use the Guest Actor Emmy as a consolation prize for one of them?

All three of the Mad Men ladies being nominated also makes me happy.

5. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mad Men is an automatic lock... just because. I don't like the show, but the voters do.

Modern Family is also a guaranteed win.

Alec Baldwin and Tina Fey for actor and actress again... just because change is a bad thing. ;)

6. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Curb Your Enthusiam's Seinfeld reunion was very good.

7. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I'm really rooting for LOST and Dexter. They both deserve all the praise they can get.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I would love to see DEXTER sweep the awards . . . .

9. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Huh, missed this the first time over, but in Trek-related news, Sir Patrick Stewart gets a nominating for Supporting Actor in a Miniseries/Movie for the PBS Hamlet (where he played Claudius).

10. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice to see Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton finally receive recognition for their work on Friday Night Lights. Although Zack Gilford not getting a Guest Actor nomination for his work on the FNL episode "The Son" is a fucking joke. He gave a GREAT performance that was raw, emotional, and most of all REAL. Anyone of those Emmy voters who saw that episode and decided not to nominate him are fucking braindead. I never cared for the Guest Actor/Actress Awards. A lot of the time they're just there to ego-stroke a big Hollywood actor for playing themselves in a three-minute television appearance.

11. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

While I love LOST in general, I don't think S6 was it's strongest season. There were a few very strong episodes - Ab Aeterno and Happily Ever After in particular were great, as was What They Died For. But I think the ending of the show, while okay, was lacking in some very real ways, and so I can't in good conscious vote for the show as best show of the year. Dexter was much better and would be my choice for best drama series.

I'd love to see some of the LOST actors win some Emmys though. Matthew Fox and Nestor Carbonell in particular had outstanding seasons. I also really love Michael Emerson, but I don't think he had all that much to do in S6 - certainly not enough to warrant another nod - seasons 3 and 4 where Ben Linus's high points, IMO.

Still...John Lithgow was pretty doggone good......

12. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm happy to see the love for Dexter, Friday Night Lights and Lost. I'm even really amused and happy with the drama nod for True Blood, which is a show that I love, but I'm not sure that I'd call it the best drama on TV.

I just hope these shows don't get overshadowed by the over-hyped critics fav, Mad Men. I'm not bashing the show, but I tried to watch it and couldn't stay awake. Just not my thing, I guess.

13. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I mainly want "The Man Your Man Could Smell Like" to win Best Commercial. ;) Oh and I'll be rooting for Dexter and Michael C. Hall as per usual. Lost and Matthew Fox were very good as well, but S4 of Dexter really does deserve to finally lock in some wins. Then again, S5 could be the best yet...maybe next year?

Major peeves:

No nominations for Katee Sagal (Sons of Anarchy) or Zach Levi (Chuck - which should also get a nomination) and while I love Michael Emerson, maybe that second Lost nomination should have gone to Nestor Carbonnel or Josh Holloway. "The End" wasn't Lost's best ep this year - how about "Ab Aeterno" instead?

SF needs to come up to the level of the shows that do get nominated. Caprica might have a shot someday if they keep improving. Anyway if True Blood can get nominated, an SF show along the same lines should have a chance.

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

John Lithgow was nominated for Best Guest Actor, so he isn't competing with any of the men from LOST.

Elizabeth Mitchell was nominated for Best Guest Actress for the role of Juliet on LOST, which I think is awesome. I love her character.

True Blood won't win anything. It didn't get a single acting or writing nomination. It only got nominated for series because it's the biggest show on HBO right now. I'm surprised it go in, since I consider the first season to be a guilty pleasure.

15. nevermore

nevermore Admiral Admiral

The following should happen, but won't.

Best actress in a comedy
    Tina Fey, "30 Rock"

Best actor in a comedy
    Jim Parsons, "Big Bang Theory"

Best comedy series
    “30 Rock”

Best drama series
    “Mad Men”

Best actor in a drama
    Hugh Laurie, "House"

Best actress in a drama
    January Jones, "Mad Men"

Outstanding Animated Program
    “South Park”

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series
    Neil Patrick Harris, “How I Met Your Mother”

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series
    John Slattery, “Mad Men”

Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Comedy Series
    None of the above

Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Drama Series
    Sharon Gless, “Burn Notice”

Outstanding Voice-Over Performance
    Dave Foley, “Disney Prep & Landing” (haven't seen it, won't see it, but it's Dave Foley)

Outstanding Casting For A Comedy Series
    “30 Rock”

Outstanding Casting For A Drama Series
    “Mad Men”

Outstanding Costume for a Series
    “Mad Men,” for “Souvenir”

Outstanding Directing For A Comedy Series
    “30 Rock,” for “I Do Do”

Outstanding Directing For A Drama Series
    “Treme” for “Do You Know What It Means (Pilot)”

Outstanding Directing For A Variety, Music Or Comedy Series
    “The Colbert Report” for episode #5076 (in Iraq)

Outstanding Directing For Nonfiction Programming
    “Monty Python: Almost The Truth (The Lawyer's Cut)”

16. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

In my book, the contenders for Best Drama are Mad Men and Breaking Bad (with an off chance of Dexter--not that I've seen its most recent season yet). I would give the award to Mad Men.

Edit:

How did Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains not get a nomination for best reality competition? That's just ridiculous.

17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Yay for LOST and 30 Rock! But yeah if LOST wins anything its for sheer momentum, the last year was not its best.

18. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh yeah, definitely. He was excellent as well as David Tennant. Patrick Stewart was so natural in the role, that he made it seem like a primary language. Didn't sound like an old language at all coming out of him.

19. darthraidr

darthraidr Commodore Commodore

it's nice that FNL got some love... i cant say if this is the best season for Kyle Chandler or Connie Britton since it's still being aired on broadcast tv. but they always turn in exceptional performances.

20. Geck

Geck Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Some nice surprising choices, some tired predictable choices, some unjustifiable snubs. Pretty much the same as every year. :lol: