The Vampire Diaries - Season 3 - Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

We're not at the finale yet. I think that's still an episode or two away.

2. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The show was most entertaining in S1 and S2 wasn't bad especially the fever pitch in the final few episodes of S2 but S3 is an unfovused mess and if the track record of similiar shows is anything to go by I expect there is no righting this particular ship and the show will continue downhill from here.

I could tolerate the angst in the past because it was in small doses but this season it seems hooking up every character and have them complain about it has been pretty much the sole focus and has ruined the show

In fact this tv season overall has been the absolute worst one ever in my opinion. Nothing worth a crap to watch.

3. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought the "big dance" was the finale. Well, in the finale, I say: 1) Klaus will die; 2) something will happen to Alaric that doesn't mean he's off the show for good, but gives him a good excuse to be MIA a lot; and 3) Elena chooses Damon (at least for now...)

In related news, the CW is unhappy with their whole non-vampiric lineup and might take a meat cleaver to their existing shows. (The show about witches might survive for another season, on probation.) Matt Davis' new pilot Cult looks like a strong contender for pickup.

Broadcast has been the worst in recent memory, maybe longer...Grimm has shaped up very nicely. Once Upon a Time is fun (but unfocused as of yet). Other than that...eek.

Here's hoping the new crop of shows do better next fall. NBC and the CW in particular are going to have to pick up a large number of pilots. Fox, too, but they have very little that looks interesting.

4. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Will Klaus ever die? I hate how he has completely taken over the show and made it less interesting. :scream:

5. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

I read the spoiler and it said she would choose a sibling....That to me screams she puts Jeremy's well-being over the Salvatores and tells them both to step. I could be completely wrong.

They need to do something to grab me these last few eps or I will not be back for round 4.

I like some of the actors but it is becoming such a trainwreck, not even staring at Elijah can keep me on the bus.

6. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

I work night currently and have to play catch up on shows.

The whole spinning the wheels thing continues. Esther's dead but not dead. More body possessions and period high school dances. More casual underage drinking. More Klaus threatening to kill people _____ cares about.

I wondered about the white oak stakes before. Just give Klaus fakes, what is he a goddamned wood expert? Doubt it.

Since the holding spells work on Klaus why haven't they trapped that asshole somewhere?

The good vs. evil struggle on the show is less about Klaus being clever than it is about the "good guys" screwing up constantly.

7. Kosh Naranek

Yeah the supposed heroine and her lackeys are not the sharpest tools in the shed.

I think they made Klaus too powerful and too bad. Then they tried to show us something/someone that Klaus feared and it fell flat because they burned through the threats too quickly.

Then they tried to neuter him. I like Joseph Morgan as an actor but the show has ruined his character. There is no place for Klaus to go.

I felt for the character when it was reavealed that Daddy not so dearest was hunting him, but then to have mommy come in the same season and try to do the same thing? Meh.

Although Rebecca aggravates me, she is somewhat tolerable because you see how her need for acceptance drives her decisions.

Klaus claims he wants family but then does everything possible to make sure that no one attends his b-day party.

Elijah was and still is the Hoover of the family. His sole purpose seems to be running after his siblings with a pooper scooper.

Kol was painted before his arrival as something of an implaccable psycho, but he has been given nothing to truly do. Elijan insinuated that Klaus should fear Kol being undaggered but Kol has run around like Klaus' errand boy.

Bonnie is just plot any more. The poor woman only exists as a magical escape hatch.

Caroline and Tyler work well together but having Tyler go away for so long took momentum from their story.

Elena is just an idiot. Jeremy bless him is just dull.

Matt's sole purpose at this point seems to be standard BFF. Need a distraction or a shoulder to cry on? Call the Quarterback.

The Salvatores - Stefan should just date Dr. Fell as the actress is his real life wife. Damon ..... I don't know. They have killed his BFF and Elena is just....

Maybe they need to focus more on adventure and less on who is zooming who?

8. startrekwatcher

Probably the most entertaining the show has been since the fall--but that isn't saying much given how mediocre it has been--so it is pretty safe to say this season overall has been a waste and really didn't amount to a whole lot--the storylines sorta just floated aimlessly about, the angst factor went into overdrive and it seems to sorta be stumbling to the finish line.

This stretch in the spring certainly pales to last season and S1. I'm still scratching my head as to why they got rid of Jeremy only to bringing him back--he is such a whining nuisance to have to watch on tv. I was definitely surprised by Klaus' dessication--I wonder if it sticks or he is revived next episode. This episode continues to underscore how the characters are just plot devices--hello Abby for what 30 seconds of screentime. I can't stand Damon anymore--he turns Abby into a vampire and doesn't show the slightest bit of regret with his snarky comments to her--I don't see what Elena sees in him other than a nice body which isn't much to develop a longterm relationship around.

It is nice to have the old Stefan back but his redemption arc was poorly handled--it seemed his turnaround was more due to writer fiat than actual in-universe storytelling reasons. And they spent the better part of the season making a big deal about Tyler going through all this struggle to break his sire bond and I have to say the moment when he got to use that advantage it was rather anti-climatic. And please enough already with poor helpless fragile whiney needy damsel-in-distress Elena--it is sooooooooooooooooooooo boring.

I'll probably watch the finale but I think the show is not going to have a creative renaissance in S4--but if tv is as bland as it is now I might tune in just to have something--if mediocre to watch.

9. Kosh Naranek

If I am back for season 4, it will be due to lackluster TV overall. I don't have many new shows that I watch.

I am tired of all of the lovelorn melodrama.

10. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Last night was great kluas is gone finally. Now we got aleric the vampire to contend with. Who is using the council now. Season finae next week.

11. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

Biggest error of the episode: Jeremy and Elener...Elena were painting Alaric's room, and she didn't have her hair up and was wearing pretty nice looking clothes, like she's never painted anything before. Maybe she wanted green spots on her purple sweater?

Who was the other person Klaus wanted to take with him, "Elaner"? :p

I think I enjoyed Caroline being tortured. She's such a great victim.

I'm tired of Elena being tied into everyone's mortality.

Klaus cannot just die. We can't get that much satisfaction can we?

12. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am glad the Klaus storyline has come to a close. I think it started out great, with a lot of promise, but then the show didn't know what to do with him. And the longer he stayed on the show the lamer he became. That was finally evidenced in how weak he was against Alaric. The show never did much with the idea of a werewolf-vampire hybrid.

I've never been a fan of Alaric, but Dark Alaric is at least passable. I don't like that everyone is tied to Elena, guaranteeing that everything revolves around her again. Though I do think Vampire Diaries thus far has done a better job of providing a rationale for this than the Twilight films or True Blood.

I've increasingly become bored with this show. I've been thinking about wrapping up my time in Mystic Falls after the season finale. If it doesn't compel me (pun intended) to hang on, I'm done.

13. Kosh Naranek

Same here DarKush. The show seems to be just spinning its wheels.

I will see if the finale can grab me. If not, I will not be back for season 4.

14. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

I'll give up on Mystic Falls and The Secret Circle's Chance Harbor.

And watch the new show set in some place called Lucky Strike. It'll be about elves living secretly among us.

15. startrekwatcher

The Secret Circle isn't very good either--it had potentially but quickly turned into a teeny girl show. It needs to be canned.

16. startrekwatcher

A rather ho hum conclusion to a pisspoor season.

Flashbacks--umm what exactly was the point of them? nothing really was revealed that was that interesting.

Oh joy Klaus is still around only he is inside Tyler's head. I was hoping we were done with him. I would have much rather they let him die and the big shock is that none of those Originals we know of actually sired Stefan/Caroline/Damon/Katherine's bloodline/

Damn too bad Alaric didn't stake Rebekah like it should have rather than just tossing her around

Alaric's death was kinda sad unfortunately the show doesn't have time for any emotional resonance so we spend 3 seconds on it.

But, on the otherhand, we have plenty of time with more pointless angst over who Elena will choose. Yawn.

Oooh a gratuitous cameo by Aunt Jenna.

On another series I might say that the cliffhanger with Elena dying and becoming a vampire was dramatic and shocking but on a series like this where practically all the human characters are now vampires I have to say it left me underwhelmed--I mean all one needs to do is look at Caroline's arc in S2 and we can already see that after one or two episodes Elena will be back to herself pretty much. The bold thing to have done and I would be applauding is if they actually killed her off *for good*

Yeah I won't be watching this unless there is nothing else worth a crap on next season which is entirely possible.

Average esp for a finale episode--oh how I long for TNG's "The Best of Both Worlds", DS9's "Call to Arms", Dallas' "Who Shot JR", Quantum Leap's "Shock Theatre", Melrose Place's "Big Bang Theory" or LOST's "Theres no place like home"/

17. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

Yeah.

Yeah, now we have Klaus stuck inside a worse actor.

Totally. That didn't make any sense. He wanted the originals dead, why beat around the bitch?

Alaric's death was kinda sad unfortunately the show doesn't have time for any emotional resonance so we spend 3 seconds on it.

I doubt Elena will wind up a vampire. It's a fake out. If she does, it render the past few seasons as pointless, if she was gonna be vamp, it would've defused a lot of situations, save a lot of lives, etc.

Alaric's end...

"I'll always be looking out for you, Jeremy."

"Really? As a ghost?"

"Nah, I got another job...fuck this show."

18. Kosh Naranek

Well...

I thought the show had really went for it and killed Klaus. I was impressed for what? Two Seconds? :rommie: Then we have Big "Bad" Hybrid daddy in Tyler via no Mrs. No More Nice Bonnie? Whatever...

Bonnie turns 360 all of the sudden out of what -fear of the vamps dying? I feel that the writers have made the poor girl nothing more than a plot device. Bonnie has no real personality. She just does what the script dictates. The writers wanted to "save" Klaus so they make Bonnie this nitwit.

I would assume they would only want to "save" Klaus because they liked Joseph Morgan. Isn't Original Recipe Klaus' body not extra crispy now? :guffaw:

Now that Tyler and Caroline have been "outed," don't they have to go somewhere? Are we not to assume that there is a council full of other founders ready to do them in?

Also, why did Damon save Rebecca? I swear the Salvatores are getting dumber by the day.

All the vamps did in this ep was prove Alaric right. Don't trust vampires. Elijah cannot control his silbings no matter what he says.

Granted Rebecca showed some thought by taking out Elena to neutralize Ric, but it seemed to come off more as spite than real forethought, bringing the show's idiot levels to an all time high.

The only thing that rang true to me was Ric's death. It still bothered me even though I have seen Ric die a thousand times.

19. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She's a hot blonde and he needs a fall back girl after getting dumbed by ellana. Now is bonnie going to kill kluas or what? This series is so fraking AWEOME. Also loved the elana flashback sceenes.

20. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It kind of loses any kind of mystery when almost every single central character is a vampire.

Could we get a time-jump 100 years into the future and have the next doppelganger show up? I'd like to see flying cars and vampires in space.

Putting Klaus is Tyler is hilarious. One of the few shows which ever got the body-swap thing 'right' is Farscape. They body-swapped and at least the actors TRIED to talk with the accent and cadence of the person they swapped with... but with generic pretty boy actor 1 now switched with generic pretty boy actor 2 so obviously no such luck or skill.

The only twists I wanted was to see all the originals die and somehow the Salvatore and their line remain. We then get the reveal that was an original who pre-dated them... Hell make Jesus a vampire and have him be the first. Guess that would be too many boycotts. Could go the Dracula 2000 route and have it be Judas then.

I expected Tyler to survive Klaus dying, but I thought it would be because he wolfed up and somehow that transition saved him. Then he'd pop back and no longer be a hybrid, but just a werewolf.