Geronimo?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Bacl, May 16, 2010.

1. Bacl

Bacl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Considering "GERONIMO!" is the Doctor's catchphrase...he sure doesn't say it. At all.

Not counting "The End Of Time, Part II", the Doctor has only said "GERONIMO!" twice: in "The Eleventh Hour" when he jumps down into the sideways TARDIS, and in "The Beast Below" when they get thrown up.

Why has this catchphrase been used so little, do you think?

*Was there a backlash between "The End Of Time" and "The Eleventh Hour" that caused them to rethink the catchphrase and possibly even edit out a few instances of the Doctor using it?

*Is it not his catchphrase, but a misunderstanding on our part?

*Is the fact that you are only supposed to shout "GERONIMO!" while jumping too limited for him to use often, if really ever?

Do you expect any other catchphrases, or even want them? Catchphrases can be kind of dumb and the sign of cheap writing, but they can also be very endearing and wonderful at the same time.

Thoughts? Insights? Ger-on-i-mo-no-no?

2. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it's a misunderstanding on our part - I remember an article with PM where he notes that it's used maybe three times in the whole series. So we have already had them.

Also bear in mind, the viewing order of the shows is not the filming order, last night's episode was the last one filmed.

3. Bones2

Bones2 Commodore Commodore

Why should the Doctor need a catchphrase? I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, but it cheapens the drama. Whenever Tennant used to trot one out for not much reason, I used to think don't do that; no really, don't.

That said, we still hear "wibbbly-wobbly, timey-wimey" far more often than I like. It's rubbish. It worked when Tennant said it on the Blink tape, but now it stands for not taking the SF elements seriously. And we can't have any discussion here about continuity without someone saying only that as if it makes them look clever.

4. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

I finally watched 'The Eleventh Hour' the other night, and, personally, I kind of wish, "Who da man?" were his catchphrase instead of "Geronimo!"

:lol:

5. The

The Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know. Ask Troughton about his Giddy Aunt. Or Pertwee about reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. Ask Tom why he keeps offering Jelly Babies the same way over and over? Blame Tegan's cowardly heart for Peter's. Also, check with Chris to see why things are so Fantastic.

Why should The Doctor need a catchphrase? He has plenty already... ;)

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

It can still be his catchphrase even though he doesn't use it all the time.

I mean how often did Five say Brave Heart Tegan?

Geronimo is also kinda specific in that it only really works when he's gonna jump/fall/leap etc. Harder to work into a script than say 'Fantastic' but at lease less annoying than 'I'm sorry,so sorry.'

7. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Urban myth (started by Pertwee after he finished the show).

8. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is true. Although he did 'Reverse Polarity' a few times. The only time he actually said the whole line was in The Five Doctors.

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  9. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Doctor can have a catchphrase, I'm just glad that he stopped saying Geronimo.

Or rather than a catchphrase, maybe just fallback words. We all have our own (whether we know it or not), and we're not madcap time traveling aliens!

10. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Speak for yourself.

11. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm quite fond of "Oh, this is Christmas" as being an often-used 11 catch phrase.

12. Captain Pike

Captain Pike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Personally, I'm thankful that it hasn't been overused.

And I agree with those who say he shouldn't even need one in the first place!

13. Bacl

Bacl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Where else has he said it besides "Vampires Of Venice"?

14. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

That's it. But I like the phrase so much that I wouldn't mind it being an often-used 11 catch phrase.

15. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

Didn't 10 use allons-y a couple of times?

16. Bones2

Bones2 Commodore Commodore

A couple of hundred times. When it comes to catchphrases, Ten was the Bruce Forsyth of Doctors.

17. Captain Pike

Captain Pike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wrong, I am afraid. Watch The Sea Devils. In response to a question by The Master, The Doctor replies 'I reversed the polarity of the neutron flow'.

See http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Third_Doctor

18. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

There's no law saying a catchphrase has to be used continuously. Tennant only said "Allonsy" (or however the hell that's spelled - I actually got flamed on this board for getting it wrong a few months ago. Get a life) a few times during his tenure. Tom Baker only asked people if they wanted jelly babies a few times, too. And the phrase "Oh my giddy aunt" which is associated with the Second Doctor I think was only used once - and I think that was in the later Two Doctors appearance!

Alex

19. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

It's spelled "allons-y".

20. Silent_Bob

Silent_Bob Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A bit more than a few times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3GMkWfpj4s but you make a good point. It's all about perception really, actual usage is irrelevant just look at "Beam me up Scotty".