Spock & Spock Prime: Was the Torch Successfully Passed?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Spock/Uhura Fan, Sep 11, 2012.

?

How do you feel about Zachary Quinto as the new Mr. Spock?

Poll closed Mar 10, 2013.
  1. GREAT Performance!!! I loved it. :)

70.7%
  2. He did okay. So far, so good.

22.0%
  3. Mmm, I'm not sure.

2.4%
  4. FAIL!!! Who hired that guy??? :o

4.9%
  1. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

Hello, another poll for you all.

Hopefully, this can be a thread that is one part poll, one part discussion/debate, and one part appreciation of either or both actors and their common role. My answer to the poll question is an obvious YES! I think Zachary Quinto did a wonderful job picking up where Nimoy's Spock could have left off if events and circumstances had been different in the Prime timeline.

I also love the fact that the two of them appear to have a wonderful friendship that, no doubt, played its part in how well Zachary was able to take on the role of Mr. Spock and put his own little bit of pizzazz in there as well. :)

What do you think? Was Zachary's portrayal of this iconic character the beginning of greatness, or an epic fail of major proportions? Obviously, the writing has something to do with how the character was received, but I'm asking purely about the performance. Please feel free to leave your thoughts about the writing after you say what you did or didn't like about Mr. Quinto's delivery.

And to help start off this thread, here's a scene that I just love from the movie. I think it's one of the BEST!!! :D :

[​IMG]

(Mr. Spock Prime wishes our "new" Mr. Spock "Good luck." :))

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

The torch was not only passed it burns brighter.

3. Spock/Uhura Fan

I love them both, but I have to say that Zachary is pretty awesome. :)[​IMG]

You know, it was my interest in Zachary that got me to see how wonderful Mr. Nimoy is. Truly great. :)

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, torch very much passed. Not just for Spock, but for the whole crew. This video pretty much sums up the epicness levels for me...
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FAynFz5SYw[/YT]

5. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

loved it...

Zachary does an awesome Spock, and i hope he keeps the character alive for a long time :)

M

6. Neumann

Neumann Captain Captain

It was a good performance but we need more witty spock than angry spock! :rommie:

7. teacake

I think he brought out the heart of Spock, that we always knew was there. He blew me away how much he keyed into what we always knew was essential Spock, only more raw because of youth and personal tragedy. It was one of the greatest movie experiences of my life to see Quinto's Spock.

[​IMG]

The essence of every piece of Spock fanfic ever, LOL

8. teacake

Oh I don't know..

"I intend to assist in the effort to reestablish communication with Starfleet. However, if crew morale is better served by my roaming the halls weeping, I will gladly defer to your medical expertise. Excuse me. "

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I honestly thought he did well. But I didn't like that he had to compete with Nimoy (which is one reason I was in favor of a hard reboot) and the softer voice takes some getting use to. Especially after spending thirty-five years of hearing Nimoy's voice.

10. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Quinto was so perfect, it's like they ordered him from the Spock Factory. :bolian:

And if there's one character in all fiction that I would say was unrecastable, it's Spock. The only noticeable difference is the voice - Quinto's isn't as deep.

11. teacake

:guffaw:

He got a lot of the body language the same which always impresses me. The voice, well maybe he hasn't quite hit all the Vulcan puberty milestones.

12. UFO

UFO Captain Captain

Yes, credit where its due, that was classic Spock (in fact I wouldn't be surprised if there is a similar scene in TOS ;)), however by the film's end I get the feeling they are saying: "But we've decided to go another way". In that respect it was a kind of "Spock of two halves" situation.

Never-the-less I think Quinto did as good a job as anyone who isn't (TOS) Nimoy could hope to do from the point of view of his performance. At least when taken separately from what may be happening to the character.

13. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

Out of all the actors, Zachary Quinto did the best job of making you believe he was who he was supposed to be.

14. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

The third film could be The Search for the Spock Factory.

15. teacake

Yep, I posted about it here:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?p=6923798&postcount=16

16. UFO

UFO Captain Captain

Well, they might find the building it was based in, but the actual factory closed down after a production run of a single unit when a clumsy worker broke the mould.

My guess is the latest version is a Chinese knock off. Sure, it ticks a number of boxes but its obviously based on an earlier prototype so it doesn't have the same impact and then there’s the question of its longevity.

Ah yes, so you did. In fact now you remind me, I remember completely forgetting about that. :alienblush:

17. teacake

It will NEVER be recalled.

18. UFO

UFO Captain Captain

:guffaw: :)

19. Spock/Uhura Fan

I've got to do some Spock/Prime Spock appreciation stuff when I have the time. This thread needs a little life...

20. teacake

Wait.. REALLY? Doesn't this conflict with S/U?