My homebrew kitbashes

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Ian Keldon, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks good my only crit is how much the Bussard's are being blocked by the Saucer. :)

2. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

^ The Ambassador class does that.

Probably others too.

3. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

I'm digging that Mosby-class. Probably my favorite take on the Ranger yet. Especially the front and side drawings, I don't know what, but there's something not quite kosher about the top view, at least to my eye.

--Alex

4. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Probably the "off center" hump and the change in scale of the bridge superstructure...they're both most noticable in the top view.

As for bussards on the hybrid, the Ambassador is one example, the Excelsior is another. On the hybrid, they still have 50% exposure, which I'm calling "good enough". I'm sticking with the low nacelle Galaxy for the "official" version anyways.

I also found a floorplan for the movie-era bridge that I was able to kludge together a good idea of the layout I wanted for it, but I won't be posting that as I don't have permission from the cygnusx-1 site to publicly use their materials.

5. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Ok, doing a little revisiting on my 23rd century Galaxy class. Added more detailing to some parts and worked on the registry and name a little.

[​IMG]

and decided to do a Connie variant using a few parts-bashed parts and mods. Also experimented with using the distortion buttons to put the registry on all three views...I don't think I'll be going to all that trouble any time soon for other ships, but it does look pretty good.

[​IMG]

Backstory for the "Lady Lex" is that she was the testbed for some of the systems that went on to be part of the Enterprise subclass refit package (phasers, torpedo launcher), as well as testing out an advanced circumfrential warp nacelle that ultimately was rejected in favor of the linear one as seen in the movies.

6. Kaiser

Good new ships :) :techman:

7. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Tweak to Lexington. Wasn't happy with the pylon and nacelle placement.

[​IMG]

8. Kaiser

Indeed this is better cus the farther away from the Shuttle bay the better for the Nacelle Pylons :)

9. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

I like that dorsal support. I'm guessing the section in the front with the horizontal lines on it would be inset from the rest of the width?

10. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Yes, as near as I could tell it is slightly inset. I can't claim the part though, it's an obscure Vance color part I "black and white-d" and harvested off of a finished ship.

Today's contestant, the York-class frigate, named for Alvin York, the Medal of Honor recipient from WWI

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  11. Kaiser

Good ship with a name worthy of being a Starship :) :techman:

12. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Again, watch your clearances. Is that a torpedo launcher on top on the York (single tube)? If so, looks like the torpedoes will be barely clearing the bridge. Ouch.

The Reliant had more clearance.

13. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Go back up and look at the York again..tweaked the nacelle size and addressed the Corporal's clearance issue.

14. CorporalCaptain

Better. I'd go even more, just to be on the safe side, but a definite improvement.

15. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

One more try...fixed a goof

[​IMG]

16. CorporalCaptain

Better!

Now, what exactly are those big gun-looking things on each side?

17. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

They look like Saratoga-style sensors to me.

Nice work, BTW, Ian! :techman: I've been following this thread for some time and I really like what you've put together (and I've seen a LOT of these in my time!) Would you be agreeable to allowing me to put these on my Ship Schematics Database at some point?

18. Kaiser

Indeed looks much better :) :techman:

Also i think your all forgetting that in the ep the Saratoga was in Phaser Like beams were coming out of those long pods which makes me think the Saratoga was a Normal Miranda then refitted with those pods later in its life. :)

19. CorporalCaptain

Thanks. I didn't know those were sensors; all the plans I've seen of the Saratoga are unlabeled, and I haven't read much about it. I don't really remember what it did on screen, either.
    By the way, I love your site. I've referred to it many times over the years.

So you're saying they are really beam weapons, and not sensors? :confused:

Would someone be willing to dig up a screen shot? I don't know exactly when it was that the ship was on screen.

20. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Thankee kindly :)

And for reference/coparison - here's the Sartoga (DS9/Sisko version)