Superior sci-fi sequals?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by saturn5, Jun 3, 2011.

?

Best superior sci-fi sequal?

1. Aliens

15 vote(s)
    28.3%
  2. The Wrath of Khan

31 vote(s)
    58.5%
  3. The Empire Strikes Back

26 vote(s)
    49.1%
  4. Mad Max 2

4 vote(s)
    7.5%
  5. 2010

4 vote(s)
    7.5%
  6. Predator 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Terminator 2

14 vote(s)
    26.4%
  8. Other

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. saturn5

saturn5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Now I'm going to make this strictly sci-fi so no Magnum Force and no Godfather pt2 etc

My choices?

1. Aliens-possibly the best film of all time, takes all that was brilliant about Alien and ramps it up in a way that would make the Mythbusters proud.

2. Empire Strikes Back-more adult and thoughtful than Star Wars, greater emotional resonance and some fantastic set pieces

3. The Wrath of Khan; the action, characterisation and emotion that was so sadly lacking from The Motion Picture, some great space battles and James T Kirk's finest hour
    Khan; "Times up Admiral, what is your answer?"
    Kirk "Here it comes! NOW Mr Spock":techman:;)

4. Mad Max 2; the film Mad Max could have been if it had any budget at all

5. 2010; much overlooked compared to it's illustrious predecessor but with a lot to recommend it, more comprehensible, more action but retaining the sense of wonder

6. Terminator 2; pretty mindblowing at the time and I think still stands up today

7. Predator 2; I like a lot, maybe more than the original, very dumb fun 'Guns and muscles' movie

2. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

Sorry, but there's no way 2010 and Predator 2 are better than their predecessors. I'd likely call ESB the best, being the filthy SW fanboy that I am.

3. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I must admit -- I'd rather watch Danny Glover fight the Predator in a somewhat dystopian Los Angeles than watch Arnold and a bunch of other muscle men who are barely actors trudge through an unremarkable bit of jungle. Basically, Predator is only 1/3 of a movie that I like -- the last act, pitting a mostly wordless Arnold against the equally wordless Predator. The first two-thirds of the movie combine a rather silly Reagan-era war movie set in Central America and a slasher film that is only a little more competent in execution, neither of which engage me when I see the film now.

The OP has hit about all the sf touchstones that I can think of that might qualify (though I disagree with several choices, especially 2010: The Year We Make Contact). Are they any others? If we're counting stuff that is more horror than sf, I'd include the original Dawn of the Dead (although I also like Night of the Living Dead).

4. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Aliens is not better than Alien.

5. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep.

I think a poll like this is best to focus on good sci-fi sequels, rather than assert they were better than the original film.

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well I'm weird cos I don't think Godfather 2 is better than the original but...

Empire and Khan definitely, although they're both very different from the first film, and face it you couldn't have Empire without Star Wars, and Star Wars is still the second best SW film which has to count for something :)

7. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

And certainly not the "best film" of all time...

8. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Aliens
    T-2
    TWOK
    TESB

If were not talking about the just number 2 films in franchises and any sequel no matter the number then...

TUC is far better than TFF, as in FC to GENS and ST09 to NEM.

9. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Aliens.

Game over, man.

10. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

11. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Not quite scifi, but FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE is arguably better than DOCTOR NO.

And, of course, THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN trumps FRANKENSTEIN in almost everyone's book.

Ditto for TARZAN AND HIS MATE over the TARZAN THE APE MAN.

12. Sagart

Sagart Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

X2 is much better than X-Men.

13. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

And if talking toys count, both Toy Story sequels are better than the original, with movie #3 possibly being better than #2 to boot.

14. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

TWOK
    TESB
    T2

I also like The Last Crusade better than Raiders of the Lost Ark, to open that pit of snakes.

15. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

I'd place X-Men 2 above the nonetheless impressive original. Spidey 2 removed a lot of its predecessor's failings, although that's borderline eligible at best.
    Of the choices, I guess Khan and ESB; the former because it was more faithful than the ponderous TMP and the latter because it took the mythos in interesting new directions both content-wise and tonally. Aliens and T2 rocked in ways different from but not necessarily superior to their respective predecessors.

16. saturn5

Don't you mean KHAAAAAAANNNNNNNNN!?

17. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Agreed.

18. saturn5

Still go with Aliens, just beyond compare

19. Expo67

Expo67 Captain

I'm afarid I have to disagree with you there. 2010: The Year We Make Contact is an excellent sequel to 2001: A Space Odyssey.

The reasons being are this:

1. It was a straightforward sequel to 2001 and did not repeat what 2001 had already shown to the cinema audience.

2. Peter Hyams consulted constantly with both Sir Arthur C. Clarke and Stanley Kubrick about various story points in the sequel.

3. Hyams set out to make his own film after consulting with Clarke and Kubrick(both of whom gave Hyams their blessings). He has even gone on record stating that if he did not get the approval from both Clarke and Kubrick, he would not write, produce, and direct the sequel film. Any director, screenwriter that goes out of his way to consult with two legends like Arthur Clarke and Stanley Kubrick(and out of respect to two such distinguished artists)is number one in my book.

4. With a cast that consisted of Roy Scheider, John Lithgow, Helen Mirren, Robert Balaban, and returning 2001 actors Keir Dullea and Douglas Rain, you know that you are in for an interesting film.

Other excellent sci-fi movie sequels I can think of are the following:

1. Star Trek II thru VI, plus the prequel reboot.

2. Superman II(both cinematic and Richard Donner Cut).

3. Aliens(Special Edition).

4. The Star Wars Saga(all six films).

5. Terminator 2

6. TRON - Legacy

20. MHT1138

MHT1138 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think of the ones listed in the poll, TESB is the best sequel. However, I have to confess to never having sein any of the Alien films or 2010. ( I know, how can I show myself on this board)