Character choice

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Captain McBain, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Captain McBain

Captain McBain Captain Captain

Which Star Trek character do you like the least (and why)?

A) B4 :confused:

B) Young Wesley :brickwall:

C) Harry Kim :eek:

D) Chakotay :thumbdown:

E) Rom :ack:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

F) Neelix :barf:

Why? The Annoyance Factor, which must be a specialty for Ethan Phillips. His character in the film The Island had some Neelix qualities too.

3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Nog doesn't belong on that list. He was a perfectly believable teenager, much more so than Wesley, who had a great character arc, from goofy kid hanging out on the Promenade to the first Ferengi in Starfleet and wounded war veteran . . .

4. Captain McBain

I meant Rom, the dorky adult Ferengi. Technically, though, I can include anyone, regardless of whether they're historically known as 'unlikeable characters.'

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This.

As for your choices...

-B4 wasn't around enough to be terribly annoying and he wasn't even the worst thing in Nemesis anyways.
    -Young Wesley... sure he was annoying, but I found it more annoying they let a kid run around on a starship... think the navy would let my 15 year old cousin play on a nuclear sub?
    -Kim... he wasn't annoying, he was pathetic.
    -Chakotay... he wasn't annoying, he was boring.
    -Rom.... yeah he was annoying at times, but he had the best character arc out of anyone you named too.

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

You know, that makes sense. I was puzzled why you would include Nog . . . complete with a gag-face icon!

7. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I didn't care that much for Spock when I first saw him in 1966. He was the fakiest looking alien I'd seen after viewing gruesome makeups by William Tuttle on Twilight Zone, and work by John Chambers, Wah Chang, and others on The Outer Limits. And of course, back in those days, I was a steady reader of Forrest J. Ackerman's Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine.

8. Captain McBain

It's the character you like the least, not the one you find the most annoying.

9. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

If I were listing them in order of least to most liked then what you've got there seems right to me.

B4 - A needless plot element to carry Data on had there been a demand for more films, etc, but in reality just cheapened Data's death--probably the one thing I hated most about Nemesis.

Young Wesley - A kid who shows up the trained officers every week. Fortunately they did get rid of him.

Harry Kim - Goes nowhere, does nothing.

Chakotay - Under used and under developed.

Rom - After he moved away from wanting to kill Quark, he became a sweet character.

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Major Kira. For a hardened freedom fighter, she was incredibly whiny.

11. Captain McBain

I guess I'm in the minority, but I never had a problem with Chakotay.

12. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Harry, forever and always. I'd have preferred it if they had an unmanned console on the bridge rather than him.

...And I love Rom. :)

13. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

another minority member reporting in :) I thought him smart, loyal and handsome.

There's nobody on the list that I dislike. I do, however, strongly despise Kirk. Whenever Spock or Bones advised him not to do something, he would invariably do it nevertheless and consequently bring his ship, the crew and plenty of aliens - often even whole civilisations - in severe danger, getting countless nameless redshirts killed in the process and even extinguishing several species by killing their last members. His incompetence even got Spock killed once! How often he violated the prime directive is a question that propably not even Data could answer. A captain who was so ruthless to permanently ignore the regulations, damage the Federation's reputation and refuse to carry out orders ought to have been kicked out of Starfleet after the first 3 months!

Spock would by far have been the better (and more fascinating) captain.

And I am far from being the only one who thinks so: when I was a kid and TOS aired for the first time we'd play Enterprise every day. There was always a quarrel about who got to be Spock. Many of us wanted to be Bones or Scotty, but nobody ever volunteered to be Kirk. As we had to have the character in our games, we counted out who had to be Kirk and the unfortunate victim was much pitied.

14. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

If B4 were around longer, I'd say him. But as it stands? Rom. What a waste of screen time. Screw it: awesome make-up aside - and I don't mind Phillips - throw Neelix in there too. Jesus. More wasted screen time.

15. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

While Wesley Crusher was there for the young boys and girls to identify with, I didn't like his "over the top" depiction of being such a whiz kid, supposedly leaps and bounds ahead of most adults on the ship. I would've liked seeing Wesley as a little bit more of a rebel, if not fully then just partly. Yes, he did "rebel" in the end, joining the Maquis... but it sure took a helluva long time to get there.

Anyway, if I had to leave Wesley alone then I'd say Chakotay. While I thought it was cool to bring an American Indian into the cast, and I really did like the Chakotay role, I found Beltran's portrayal to be rather flat. He's not a very talented actor. So, Chakotay was on the bottom of the list of characters I enjoyed. And... well, where he ended up afterward kind of speaks for itself.

16. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

Gonna have to go with Harry Kim. Nothing against Garrett Wang, but he was a pathetic character.

But, if B4 had about 5 more minutes of screen time, then it would have been him. What a completely unneccesary character. I re-watched Nemesis last week and it struck me (again) that B4 and everything to do with him (including the Argo ride) could have been completely cut from the script and the movie would have been significantly improved.