Continuum the new tv series!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Snick27, May 14, 2012.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

We did.

After Alec abandoned the season 2 timeline, it took a few hours, but eventually Kira saw space time blowing up, storms, massive bolts of lightning and mountains falling into the sea, and that's why she had to be sent into the past to stop their being two Alec's (in the new season 3 timeline) which seems to be slightly less destructive than there being no Alec's in the (season two) timeline.

Of course... It was presupposed that Alec's domination of the technologies market is why the universe collapsed in on itself, when that can't have been true since Brad Tonkin was already active in season 2 beneath "our" radar which means that Alec was Jack Shit important to the Future more so than Carlos when his absence caused the space time to implode.

Alec was not important.

Alec's departure caused the universe to die.

Therefore the universe cannot cope with any players of any pedigree being removed from it's planned sequencing.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

So much for the step on a butterfly deal.

3. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

What I hate is how they stamped out the future and everything happens in the present now save for "flashbacks".

Saves on effects bucks, but the story might get tedious and even more confusing.

4. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Was Kira sent into the past?

I thought the Freelancers put her in a bubble that simply ignored the destruction of the timeline before Alec went back in time, and as his time jump was destroying that timeline, Kira was protected from it and wound up in the new one.

There were still two of her because of that, but I don't think she herself did any time traveling in that episode.

5. Guy Gardener

She went back a week.

Probably to just before Alec split the timeline, so that she could follow him up stream.

(Actually, determinism says that she herself would split as the time junction split and she would go up both timelines, even though one of them is doomed and it would seem like she failed utterly to follow Alec anywhere.)

That's why she was able to solve season 2 liber8 plots as they rehappened in early season 3.

We saw a repeat of crazy Lucas being directed by Julian pretending to be Nagame.

There was more than that too.

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Let's just face the fact that as it currently stands the writer's version of time travel doesn't hold up to scrutiny at the current time. They are going to have to come up with something really createive to restore any consistency to how it works.

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure still stands as the best internally consistent time travel film/show. :techman:

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Except we just saw a platoon of armored future soldiers (robots?) show up in 2014 Vancouver. That doesn't strike me as something that would reduce VFX expenditures.

Besides, flashbacks (or flashforwards, really) were all we saw of the future after the first episode anyway. So I don't see why that needs to change. Even if the futures the characters remember have been "erased," the characters still remember them and are guided by their experiences in them. So the flashbackforwards would inform their behavior and relationships the same way they always have. This week we saw a flashsomething of Brad Tonkin's experiences in his future; we could easily see more of his memories, or similar ones for whatever new time-traveller characters are added next season.

Anyway, I think my favorite moment in the finale may have been when Lucas looked around and saw Travis, Garza, and Kiera coming to him together. "Whatever this is... I'm in!" :lol:

8. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

I wonder if we'll get to see Lexa Doig again? I believe I heard that Dillion was in "Recovery"

9. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

The only problem I've seen with the time travel in this show is that they showed old Sadler smiliing knowingly when he first sent Kiera and Liber8 back in time. If you ignore that, it's pretty consistent for the most part.

At least I can't think of any other inconsistencies. If, again, you ignore that particular one. If you try to shoehorn it into a theory, everything else goes kaput though.

10. Guy Gardener

You can explain that away with cleaners, or that he sent this bunch 5 years back earlier than he encountered the original liber8 from his personal timeline who sculpted him into the man he is, who are still going to show up in 4 years and change wondering why there have been other strange versions of themselves running around for 5 years.

As soon as Kellog's mother died we knew that the future and the past are not still umbilically connected.

11. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

I guess I'd like to see more of the show actually set somehow in the future to go along with what's happening in the present is all...

The cyborgs/robots whatever look pretty cool, yeah. I guess we'll see where next season goes.

12. Guy Gardener

Brad's timeline happened before there were two Alecs.

Alec and/or Kiera going back invented the new timeline with the mechs/cyborgs.

Kellogg gaining control of Pyron, and Alec becoming insignificant was already a version of Brads history.

Although it's probably Alec harvesting Kira's CMR which brought about the technology leap that makes those "things" possible, which couldn't have happened without Keira dying because there were two of her.

Of course liber8 getting hold of the Freelancers arms locker can't be good for the landscape either.

13. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Just as an aside, an article on the CBCnews.ca brought up discussion of Canadian made programming and it was nice to see several posters bringing up Continuum (and Orphan Black) as a example of quality Canadian content.

14. Guy Gardener

That lot did Danger Bay?

#####!

I had such a crush on Annie Edison when I was little.

Although the episode of Corner Gas where the idiot thought that the Littlest hobo had come to town to save them from something they hadn't quite figured out yet, was fantastic, as he tried to out smart the stray dog he thought was the littlest Hobo and save the town first so that he would be a hero and get the key to the city...

15. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Seems to me if they just kill Kellogg then the future will be back on track. Still not sure if Alex has any control over Sadtech though. I think Kellogg now owed that too, and there was a scene a few episodes back were they were building a skyscraper for Sadtech on the grounds of the building Nagame blew up.

16. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I kringe everytime I see "Sadtech". It just screams " I repair PC's in my mom's basement and have business cards".

17. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can see that...but also "Our technology makes people Sad".

If Alec were Jane Badler's (Diana of V) son ? That it'd be Badtech.

Or Virginia Madison ... Madtech.

The possibilities...

18. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, and... "Sonmanto"?? Really!?!? :rolleyes:

19. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

The corporation names on this show are really lame sounding.

20. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I hope this show gets renewed. I've really enjoyed it.

It makes sense if you're a time-traveler trying to create a Monsanto knock-off multi-conglomerate. I bet there's a start-up in that universe that was called Monsanto, and they got sued right out of existence by Sonmanto.

I wonder if all the major corporations in Continuum were created by time-travelers...