Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Salinga, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

You could always go buy the Ron Jones soundtrack collection. That's got all the BOBW music on it - you can even purchase the individual tracks from Amazon...

2. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

As someone who would *LOVE* a soundtrack only feature, too, let me assure you: It is *NOT* about getting the music! It's about being able to admire the work of the composer. To comprehend the artistic decisions that went into every cue. Why there are moments without (!) music. And in which way the music encances a scene. Really, everyone should try this out. It's amazing how much you'll understand about the work of a composer.

3. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It doesn't look like we're getting any deleted scenes this time around...

4. jb1234

jb1234 Lieutenant Red Shirt

The Ron Jones soundtrack collection actually does not have the BOBW score on it (aside from a few short cues). You'll have to buy it on its separate release, from GNP.

I also was hoping for an isolated score but I'm not surprised it wasn't included, given the politics involved.

5. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Maybe they will show part 1 & 2 of Best of Both Worlds?

6. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think that has already been established.

7. GameOn

GameOn Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Looks like we're getting four commentaries on the season 3 set.

Audio Commentary with Ron Moore on “The Bonding”
    Audio commentary with Ron Moore and Ira Steven Behr on “Yesterday’s Enterprise"
    Audio Commentary with Rene Echevarria and Jonathan Frakes on “The Offspring”
    Audio Commentary with Ron Moore on “Sins of the Father”

The Best of Both Worlds Blu-Ray is getting its own audio commentary with Cliff Bole, Mike Okuda & Denise Okuda, and Elizabeth Dennehy.

8. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

9. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

That's utter bullshit. The commentary for BOBW should be on the S3/S4 discs as well.

10. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

CBS wants BOBW disc to sell better so they are going to give it exclusive content. How else are they going to get the trekkers to buy both? :shrug:

It would have been really nice if they had stuck the BOBW edited into movie disc into the S3 set as a bonus feature!

11. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Someone in the group is probably intentionally talking right through the new edit that combines both parts! :lol: Though I suppose they could've cut the first commentary short for Part I (just abruptly stop it short and record Mike Okuda saying, "Please join us for Part II of our commentary on the Season Four set.") and then pick up the conversation a few seconds back during the recap scenes in Part II.

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

If I'm going to plunk down $80 for a BD set I shouldn't also be expected to plunk down another $20 for a BD set containing a)an episode I already bought, b)another episode I'm going to buy in a future $80 set just to have a special feature.

This one I'm not falling for, CBS/Paramount.

13. Andyperkins

Andyperkins Ensign Newbie

Quite surprised by the price of the BoBW disc in the US, it's only £6.99 here in the UK which is around $11 and for what is included I think it's a bargain, might be even better if they include a discount voucher again like they did with the sampler.

Really can't wait for these, what better presents can you get on your birthday (April 30th) :)

14. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I had thought they might do that. Maybe on the season 4 set?
    Well as usual they love to milk Trek fans for everything they have.

15. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Pre-order prices tend to drop until just before release. I pre-ordered Dredd on Blu-Ray when it was ~$30 and it wound up being about $20 when it finally was released.

16. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

$116.99 is to high, looking for it to drop to $58.00 like season 1.

17. Jaro Stun

Jaro Stun Captain Captain

I can't stress enough how relieved I'm, seeing the new trailer for the BOBW BluRay. The quality from S1 is back, and the TNG looks better than ever before.

This is how remastering is done:

BOBW:
    [​IMG]

compared to messed up S2 release - Q Who:
    [​IMG]

The high quality remastering with that additional "little spark" from CBS is back, and leaves much to be desired for the butchered S2 work. I wish some day, when all the dust settles CBS would go back to S2 and re-remaster it in a proper fashion.

Suffice to say for now, I can't wait for the Trek holidays re-living the episodes like BOBW, Yesterday's Enterprise, Enemy, Defector and the likes.

And until that comes, just a few more:
    This could have easily come from a Star Trek feature movie:
    [​IMG]

and the darkened Borg interior very much resembling the "updated" FC looks:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

I knew the were gonna do that with the exclusive BOBW content. It's pretty much my favorite two eps ever so I'll probably plunk down the extra cash for it.

19. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

PS,

so glad were back to in-house remastering this time around. It's night and day.

20. DJ Mike

DJ Mike Ensign Red Shirt

Not too sure about the re-done Borg Cube explosion at the end of the trailer. Looks like they freeze-framed/slow-framed the explosion, then when the enterprise zooms off let it play. Original somehow looks better. Hope it's just an unfinished shot but I kinda get the feeling it's the finished version.

Someone helpfully posted a comparison video with the original version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpvQ46v13Lw