War of the Supermen Just Announced!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Dec 8, 2009.

1. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

I think that at one point (maybe right when he left Action), there might have been talk that Johns would return to the title - I do seem to remember hearing that somewhere as well, so that may be what you're thinking of. Personally, I wish it was true, though having Johns back on Flash instead is fine by me also.

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I distinctly remember reading an article that said while Johns was leaving Supes after "New Krypton" he would be coming back for the big event. I thought this entire story was his idea, so I'm pretty shocked that he won't be involved in the crossover. And disappointed.

3. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He was leaving for something big. That something turned into Superman Secret Origins.

4. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

And his work on Batman: Earth One is probably pretty time consuming.

5. drychlick

drychlick Captain Captain

2010 is going to be a big year for are hero cool!;)

6. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

I'm holding my breath for 2013. That's when the real badass stuff is goin' down.

7. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

2013. That's when Superman starts falling into the public domain, isn't it? Or is that when the Siegel and Schuster estates start getting a piece of Superman to do with what they will?

It doesn't really matter, though. DC's trademark protections on Superman will effectively prevent anyone else from using Superman, public domain or no.

8. barnaclelapse

I was being sarcastic. I have no bloody clue.

Superman in the public domain would be some scary, scary shit.

9. Allyn Gibson

No, it really isn't.

So long as DC continues to exploit the Superman trademark, even after the early stories begin to fall out of copyright, they're effectively preventing anyone else from using Superman. There's little point in using Superman, if you can't market that it's Superman.

In any case, I expect there will be another attempt in the next year or two to extend copyright protections for another twenty-five years or more at the behest of Disney.

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I remember reading an interview from Geoff earlier this year on newsarama I think saying that the plan was that he would finish up Blackest Night and would then go back to Action Comics just in time for the big Superman event that he has been working towards (I guess this is now War of the Supermen) and then he would be returning to Green Lantern. The Flash thing wasn't announced at the time.

11. barnaclelapse

This is true.

12. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What does Disney have to do with it? Disney owns Marvel not DC lol

BUUUUUT actually if DC/Warner Brothers doesn't release a new Superman movie by 2011 they will owe damages to the Siegels and Schuster's. So... DC really needs to get on the stick and do something movie wise - and decent. I'm honestly of the mind that Superman should almost be a multi-universal hero LOL. I mean why not let Marvel use Superman too! That'd be a kick.

13. Allyn Gibson

Disney will want another extension of the Mickey Mouse Protection Act, to keep the Mouse from falling into the public domain. Disney's goals of locking up Mickey Mouse forever will have the consequence of keeping other properties from ever becoming public domain.

14. barnaclelapse

I think some of the guys at Marvel could really do some solid, interesting work with Superman.

15. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

Not true. What will happen is that DC will lose certain movie rights to Superman, and would have to (presumably) pay a certain sum to the Siegel estate (not the Shusters - they are not involved in the Siegel/DC lawsuit) in order to make a Superman movie.

Well, technically, John Byrne, Roger Stern, Ron Frenz, Marv Wolfman, Louise Simonson, and many of the others who've worked on Superman post-1986 were former Marvel creators, and they did do some solid, interesting work with Superman...but I know what you mean. :p

16. Broccoli

You mean like Superman giving up his marriage to Lois by making a deal with the devil so Pa Kent can live?

Next we'll have a story that has Lana Lang marrying Lex Luthor....oh wait...

:shifty:

17. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ We won't be having any Lana Lang stories pretty soon...

18. Broccoli

Yeah...until they bring her back in some convoluted way.

Remember that comic rule...

No one stays dead except Bucky, Jason Todd, or Uncle Ben! Oops. Well, one out of three ain't bad...sorta...