Those with LEGIT Voyager DVDs, please help

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by msdossys, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

NEVER buy complete series sets on dvd from ebay or marketplace sellers. Those places are BOOTLEG city.

ALWAYS buy directly from Amazon.com! They might cost more, but you are always going to get the legit sets.

:techman:

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Whilst some ebay sellers are selling bootleg copies, some aren't. I'm sure they'll have been people who have bought complete seasons that are legit copies.

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Yes, but why take the risk in the first place?

One hunder dollars for a complete Trek seven season dvd set just screams bootleg!

4. Trekker82

Trekker82 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I believe that I have a legit copy, I'll post photos tonight for you and others. However, I bought the entire series for about $200 from someone on Amazon.

5. msdossys

msdossys Cadet Newbie

Yeah this guy was selling a few copies of voyager, and a few other TV series. Bought for $140, thought it was a pretty good deal... not so much!

6. Trekker82

Alright, here are my photos. I believe that my set is legit
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Hmm, those look pretty dodgy to me. They don't match my set (neither the packaging nor the disc art) and I've never seen a legit set use those kind of disc sleeves set loose like that. They could be re-issues I guess, but I'm surprised to see the disc art be different.

For what it's worth, all the other Trek I see there matches mine. :)

8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

What disc art? unless printing just the name counts as art these days.

9. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I figured it was obvious I was talking about the design of the printing on the discs. Pretend I said "disc text" then.

Also, it seems I was right. Found this on the Amazon listing. I'm sorry to say that it looks like you were had, Trekker82. :(

[​IMG]

10. Trekker82

It does appear that my copy is a boot leg... :scream: Why can't people just be honest. :|

I wonder if the image quality is the same? I think if I were to re-purchase, I'll wait until they are remastered... whenever that will be.

I just looked back on my Amazon order, I paid $262 to "kingofsales" 4 years ago.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  11. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I'd say as long as you're happy with the quality, it's not a total loss. Just a pity that some scumbag made money off of you.

As for judging the quality, maybe you could take a few screengrabs and compare them to the galleries at Trekcore?

12. Trekker82

I think that's what I'll do tonight along with testing all of the discs. I haven't watched them all yet. I think I'll be waiting a while for the Voyager remastering at this rate. I'll post some comparisons this weekend.

13. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

My VOY lives in this cube..

[​IMG]

And that is my cat, Wicket.

14. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Standing or should I say sitting guard? :p

15. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Catching some rays dude.. but he's ready to swing some logs in your face if you approach the cube armed.

16. Trekker82

I'm not sure if TrekCore tweaked their photos at all, but mine are straight out of VLC player. It doesn't look bad to me on my TV, comparable to DS9 DVDs...

The left are TrekCore's and the right are my screen caps:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Really? 'Cause yours look way better to me than the ones on the left. I wonder if Trekcore's caps are from the NTSC or PAL DVDs...may explain the differences.

At any rate, if those are your caps on the right I'd be happy with the DVDs you've got. :)

18. Trekker82

I thought that mine were sharper, but the saturation was better on theirs. On the TV it looks fine, just like any other older DVD TV show. I can't wait to see what the show looks like when/if it gets re-mastered. I think for now, I'll save my $ and stick with my bootlegs- I just hope that all of the discs work.

19. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Of the two, I prefer the saturation on yours...the left shots' skin tones are a little bright pink for my taste.

20. Alpha Flyer

Alpha Flyer Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I refuse to buy DVDs in Asia (or on the street for that matter) due to a very deeply engrained revulsion at supporting organized crime. That includes refusing to watch them when friends turn up with them.

I once had the wonderful opportunity to deliver a statement at a conference on organized crime in Central Asia, into which I was able to include a reference to a number of conference delegates I'd watched buy pirated DVDs and CDs at the Osh market in Tashkent.

The fight against organized crime, I said then, begins in this room. I still hold to that. I paid full buck for my Voyager DVDs on amazon. The people who made it and the artists who worked on it deserve to get paid.