Do we even want another Star Trek movie?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by looneyguy1985, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Well the whole point of being tragic is doing bad stuff at some point.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

But the character has to be somewhat likable at some point as well. There was nothing likable about Anakin Skywalker in Attack of the Clones or Revenge of the Sith.

3. Belz...

I think we are talking about the CGI series as well.

And he killed Sand People in Attack of the Clones. A bit more forgiveable than poor Jawas.

Damn those marksman stormtroopers !

4. BillJ

But you can't go back a decade after the fact and erase those feelings that formed as you watched it on the big-screen.

It was Sand People, still unforgivable to execute the whole lot of them.

5. Belz...

They're animals !!! ;)

I don't really form "feelings" when I'm watching fiction. Not in that sense, anyway.

6. BillJ

What kind of monster are you? :rofl:

7. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    Agreed.

No more "unemotional" Spock screaming and crying for his "t'hy'la"(google it Gen Y)whom he met one movie ago and spent a movie and a half either marooning on a planet or openly arguing with.

Best friends, my fat hairy arse.

No more skinny Khans or "tributes" to older films(that did it better)when you created a new universe to tell new stories.

They dropped the ball.

Majorly.

8. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well the friendship between Kirk and Spock in the new movies is forced at best. I'm not the biggest fan of the JJ movies, but doesn't mean I want them to stop making them. There's always hope that hope that they'll use the clean slate that is the reboot to do something wholly original next movie instead of "paying tribute" to the old movies.

9. Belz...

I have no idea what you're saying.

True. But then we didn't see what goes on in the year between films, and character development is, of course, harder in movies.

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

The short asnwer is yes, but not every story needs an end as the OP. Sure the adventures we see need a begining a middle and an end, but the overall story doesn't. The Adventure is ust begining to paraphrase one of the taglines from one of the ST movies.

In the 22nd Century we had Archer
    In the 23rd Century we had Kirk
    In the 24th Century we had Picard, Sisko and Janeway
    What of the 25th, 26th, 27th, 28th, 29th, 30th... Centuries? There is a whole universe of possibilities to explore.

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

This thread:
    [​IMG]

12. peteym5

peteym5 Lieutenant Red Shirt

With "Star Trek into Darkness" exceeding $400 Million worldwide, we are certainly going to have more Star Trek films. The movie has not hit the home video market and cable yet, looking at hundreds of million more. I know there is a question of JJ Abrams involvement for 13th Trek film since he has been chosen to direct Star Wars Episode VII. Paramount has already started looking for alternate directors.

I think what the fans have been demanding now can Star Trek be bought back to television as a first run tv show. The problem is trying to get CBS to agree to let someone make a new series because they hold the television rights for Star Trek. I know Paramount has been looking to do it themselves. I am not going to go much into the setting, people been posting all different things about that. Which network, cable channel, or online web service? I say the best bet is first run cable like Syfy or similar channel for first run. Maybe syndicated reruns after a few seasons, been seeing Sci-fi shows rerun on local tv time slots. CBS and Warner also has the CW and that network has had problems holding onto any programs since UPN and WB merged and lost Star Trek. Star Trek is probably what it needs right now.

13. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

The only Star Trek show that could be on the CW is a Starfleet Academy one, as the CW is quite youth-orientated. But that's a long shot now, as much as I hate to admit it, due to the hatred that Les Mooves has for Star Trek and sci-fi in general.

14. looneyguy1985

looneyguy1985 Ensign Newbie

The only Star Trek show that could be on the CW is a Starfleet Academy one, as the CW is quite youth-orientated. But that's a long shot now, as much as I hate to admit it, due to the hatred that Les Mooves has for Star Trek and sci-fi in general.[/QUOTE]

You are sure right about that. We did get a small taste of that in the Trek 09 film and I actually think that a star-fleet academy show could potentially work. Maybe they could do a POST enterprise PRE JJverse series using that as the primary setting.

15. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Star Trek movies have have been going strong, with occasional ups and downs, since 1979. Why stop now?

If you look at the "Earliest Star Trek Memories" thread in the "General" category, you can see how every Trek movie is somebody's first. Deciding that "okay, we've had our fill, you can stop now" strikes me as generational chauvinism at best. Let future generations of Trekkies have their fun, too.

And, for those who want to turns this into yet another referendum on the latest flick, did you want to shut down the whole franchise after TFF or NEM or whatever your least favorite Trek movie was?

With any luck, STAR TREK will outlive us all.

16. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well arguing if there should be another movie or not is a moot point. I do believe the whole cast is under contract for a third reboot movie, and the shortcomings of Into Darkness's plot aside, it did make money. I just hope the next movie is something more original than cherry picking a bunch of random plot elements across the franchise, putting them into a blender and turning out a "new" story. It probably will be Abrams last Trek movie though since he's apparently moving on to Star Wars.

17. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I hope they never stop making Star Trek movies.

18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

When I was little and saw The Simpsons' "Star Trek XII: So Very Tired" spoof, I remember thinking, "Trek will NEVER make it to 12 movies!"

Happy to be proven wrong:)

19. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I just want to live long enought to see Star Trek XX! (20 not X-rated! :lol:)

20. BillJ

I hope I'm around for both! :techman: