Literary Treks

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Enterpriserules, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

No problem, I'm glad to see a focus on Trek Lit again.

2. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Just finished listening to the last episode with James Swallow. He was a great guest as always.

3. Enterpriserules

James and I could talk for hours, we always talk 30 or more minutes before and after. Greg Cox is up next!

4. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:techman:I can't wait to hear your interview with Greg Cox.I really liked his novel Weight of Worlds,Ithas great character story arcs for The Enterprise crew.And the alien Crusaders were interesting adversaries in the novel.

5. Enterpriserules

Yeah, I am working on the review today, but I agree, I really liked the book.

6. Enterpriserules

7. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

^Awesome show. Greg is a very prolific Star Trek writer and he interviews well. What is up for the next episode?

8. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm sorry, there I have to argue. I had to turn it off half way through because I couldn't bear to hear one more "y'know" interjected every third word without punching something. Great writer, stand-up guy, but he is not a great interview.

9. Enterpriserules

We are doing Voyager comics. We had a lot of fun!

10. Enterpriserules

11. Lt. Cheka Wey

Lt. Cheka Wey Commander

Sounds great, since i am just about to check those out.

12. DS9Continuing

That was hilarious! I've never heard you rip something apart like that before.

I agree that the nanoprobe thing in "Planet Killer" is ridiculous... but isn't that exactly what they did in Before Dishonour as well? Didn't Seven use nanoprobes to connect to the Planet Killer to turn it against the Borg there? So everybody's joining in the crappy cliché stories.

13. Enterpriserules

It was great to do something completely different and have a good time doing it. Not all of Trek comics and books are good and that's ok. I am glad you enjoyed the show! :rommie:

14. Lt. Cheka Wey

Lt. Cheka Wey Commander

Could you interview Kevin J. Ryan? I am especially innterested in the Errant books.

15. Enterpriserules

We hope to get to interview as many authors as we can!

Our new episode is out with John Tenudo, talking about Khan comics.

16. Lt. Cheka Wey

Lt. Cheka Wey Commander

That's great, thank you.

17. Enterpriserules

Taking a week off because I will be at Into Darkness on our recording day! See y'all next week!

18. DorkBoy [TM]

DorkBoy [TM] Captain Captain

I just found your podcast (from this thread!) and have been working my way through all the old shows.

This is good. Really good.

I just finished the Una McCormack interview. Wow that was fantastic. Being a big DS9 fan myself (and a big Una McCormack fan more recently), I just found myself nodding along to the two of you, through the entire interview.

So, at the beginning of the podcast, one of you asked about John Harriman and were discussing whether or not the novel about him was any good.

Its called Serpents Among the Ruins, and its one of my favorite books. Go read it. I started off this book going "Yeah, right, Captain Harriman" but this book redeems him and then some, he's definitely a captain worthy of the Enterprise. It spans his entire career in Starfleet, pretty much.

It's sort of weird listening and being 6 months ahead of you in time. Especially when you're discussing the movie (which I just saw last week)! Good stuff though.

19. DS9Continuing

Just listened to the new Abyss podcast this morning.
    When I saw the title, I assumed you'd picked that book to cover precisely because of its timely tie-in to Into Darkness, what with the whole identical 'Section 31 recruit a genetically engineered madman to help them kick-start a war they think is inevitable' plotline. So it was a shame that you couldn't get into that since Chris hadn't seen the film yet. Ah well.

It's still a great book though, and an excellent example of Marco Palmieri's sherpherding of the whole DS9-R. Here he had this series he'd only just begun, and the order comes from on high that not only is there a S31 crossover event coming that he had to tie into, but the Gateways crossover event right after that for him to tie into as well. And yet he managed to helm books that not only did both those things perfectly but also continued his own planned plotlines, developed the characters wonderfully and were damn good individual books in their own right. All respect to the actual authors as well, of course.

While obviously Bashir was the main plotline in this, my favourite part was Taran'atar, without a doubt. I think it was a wise decision to give him so much attention in only the second book of the series (I think of Avatar as one book). While we did meet him in Avatar, we didn't really get any time with him or understand how he's feeling about his whole situation. And he is the new 'alien perspective' character, replacing Odo, and those are always good value for money. This book made him a vital and fascinating part of the ensemble, fleshed him out as a character without making him anything other than a loyal Jem'Hadar. Good work.

I'm sure you know, but just in case anyone else doesn't, the story of how Nog came up with the idea to drag the whole of Empok Nor across space to replace the fusion core can be found in the SCE story "Cold Fusion," written by KRAD.

Now then... Given our past conversations, I think you can probably guess where I'm gonna go next. Your claim that Locken's mindset is the ultimate endpoint of atheism is pretty damn offensive. Come on, seriously? A lack of religion in a person's life inevitably leads to them becoming a child-murdering galactic megalomaniac tyrant wannabe? I don't even know where you could possibly get that idea. Maybe you didn't mean it to come out the way it did, but that's definitely what I got from what you said.

I'll even go to the opposite extreme and say that if you need stories about a supposed higher power to tell you that it's wrong to murder people, as if you couldn't figure that out for yourself, then you've got problems. Surely you know by now that there have been endless massacres and tyrannies done in the history of this world in the name of one god or another. They're going on right now, as we speak. I think it's pretty clear that not having a belief in a god and being a mass-murdering fuckhead are things that have no connection to each other whatsoever.

It's not gonna stop me listening to future podcasts, but that was pretty unpleasant to hear.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2013
  20. Enterpriserules

^ I would never say that a belief in a higher power cannot lead to bad things and a look at history proves that out. On the reverse a belief in no god or higher power has also lead to some of the worst things this planet has ever seen Russian gulags and German concentration camps. So I would put Locken in with those two examples. Beholden to nothing he is able to justify doing anything. On both sides there are extremes. I think this is the worst example and that is what I was trying to point out.

I am so glad you are enjoying the show! It really is a blast to talk about Trek Lit.