Smallville Season 11, it"s happening...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ncc71877, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah I guess I thought it would be because it's considered the official canon of the series, much like Buffy Season Eight and Nine, and Angel and Faith are considered Buffy canon. It's nice we're finally getting this stuff. I have a feeling we'll get Wonder Woman by season's end.

2. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Be interesting to see the Smallville take on Wonder Woman.

3. ncc71877

ncc71877 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  4. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

5. Admiral_Young

^ Ahhhh the awesomeness of Miller's Batgirl run. Sigh. I have no problem with this development. I just had a feeling it was gonna be Steph. I also have a feeling it will be revealed that Bruce has been operating as Batman a lot longer than Clark. I know Chloe mentioned meeting Bruce in the finale. I'm pretty sure he was mentioned or referenced earlier in the series as well. I know we saw Gotham on a newspaper I believe in the pilot. I can't wait for this lol.

6. Admiral James Kirk

I can't wait for the new ish. Where is it? I got a letter from Comixology mentioning #7 and I clicked the link and it only had the first six issues available. I was so depressed I had to drown my sorrows with Bendis' Spider-Men. Takes that DC! I made mine Marvel! :) :lol:

7. Admiral_Young

I think we're on hiatus every two weeks or something like that.

8. Admiral James Kirk

I don't like that. :klingon:

9. Admiral_Young

That was kind of a joke. I honestly don't know why we're getting these delays. I thought the original plan was to release these every week on Friday. Perhaps there are art delays or something they don't want to tell us about, so thus the occasional brief gaps we're getting.

10. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

that is one Fuck-ugly Batsuit.

11. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

The angle is wrong to really tell but it looks like a club to me rather than a sword.

12. Allyn Gibson

I've seen a much higher-res version of the image than what was linked to here, and it has a clearly defined hilt.

13. Admiral James Kirk

So Smallville #7 is out! This issue is where we separate the men from the boys! This is the big first meeting between Superman and Lex Luthor! Yes, other stuff happens in this issue. Chloe and Ollie find the mysterious spaceship from a couple of issues back and discover something surprising about it's origins. We see how the radiation has ravaged Hank Henshaw's body and how Mrs. Henshaw blames Superman. All that stuff is good and all but...

Superman and Luthor!

Fire for the bad. I think that DC got a few of their panels mixed up in that scene. We see Superman shattering the windows to Luthor's office and Lex fall to the floor covered in glass and Superman says: "I'm not in the mood, Luthor!" However on the next page Luthor is standing and off panel we see a KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK. Then on the next page Luthor tells Supes to call him Lex. Being out of sequence really harms the effect of the scene, which is really a shame because there's so much good stuff there.

It's clear that Supes wants to tear Lex a new one. It's also clear Lex has him by the short and curlies as he's using all these space related crises to frame Superman. Even General Lane is in on it as he shows up with a fleet of heavily armed gunships ready to blow Clark's \S/ clean off.

How did I like the issue? It was good but... the layout fuck up! It hurt this issue so fucking bad. Threw off the pace and took me out of the story.

DC owes Miller an apology. He wrote a damn fine issue and they had to go and fuck it all up! Pisses me off! Everything was going swimmingly up 'til now!

14. Admiral_Young

I have the issue...just need to read it. Love the cover :)

15. Admiral James Kirk

Yeah, best cover yet. :)

16. Admiral_Young

Well I see your point about the panel weirdness. It would appear that it is out of sequence, which was unfortunate. That glitch aside, I enjoyed the issue. Hank's wife blaming Superman for his condition is not what I expected, but the seeds are indeed being sown for us to see Cyborg Superman later in the season. I'm curious to see how Miller approaches this without tying it into to Green Lantern at all.

I wonder if they're going to go with a "The Batman" approach with Bruce and the Justice League in this? We're slowly introduced to Bruce Wayne and Batman, he and Clark meet and maybe fight, reach an understanding after discovering a common enemy, then Bruce is gradually brought into the fold? I only state that after the Watchtower on the moon line by Ollie. You can see a lot of influences this season which is great.

Finally...the long awaited confrontation between Lex and Superman. I think this would have been written and shown a little tweaked on screen, but it was no less impactfull and Lex's manipulations are well done indeed. The call me Lex line was unusual. I don't remember seeing a version of Lex that would allow Superman to be so formal around him. :)

Just a little theory regarding the Tess visions, as well as being a form of his conscience, I'm wondering if they're not there to "block" his knowledge of Clark? We know the mind wiping sequence was done specifically to wipe out that particular memory on the show...but I'm wondering if that isn't why Tess is there. She serves a two fold purpose, to serve as his Jiminy Cricket, and to block those memories of Clark's secret. Once again Tess is protecting Clark :)

17. Admiral James Kirk

If I was Miller I'd be out for blood. That was a glitch that hurt the overall impact of the issue, which on the whole I liked a lot.

Part of me wonders if this isn't misdirection on Miller's part. Setting us up to expect Hank to be the Cyborg and then somehow it ends up being his wife. Probably won't happen that way but wouldn't it be a trip? Also I don't see why Green Lantern would need to be brought into this at all. I know that he became a big player over in the GL books but he was a Superman villain first.

Sounds like the classic Marvel comics team up approach. Meet, fight, reconcile in a battle with the real bad guy. Naturally I'd love to see Clark and Bruce fight. But even more than that... I want to see Bruce and Ollie fight.

I like Green Arrow in general and I love the Smallville version of GA but I've always felt that the Justin Hartley GA is a guy who constantly needs constant knocking down in order to keep his feet on the ground.

Who better than Batman to deliver that knockdown? :D

True but what I really want to know is where the hell that Queen Industries spaceship comes from? It from some black ops subsection of the company that Ollie's been kept in the dark about? A Lexcorp fake? Or is it from the future? That's an interesting little mystery we've got here. I can't wait to see where Miller goes with it.

I want more of this. The Lex/Superman pissing contests were always my favorite part of John Byrne's run as well as the best part of Superman:TAS and the first season of Lois & Clark. The Smallville confrontations have the potential to be the best of all thanks to the history between the two adversaries.

I've never considered this angle before and I have to say... Me loves it! :D I hope you're right. This memory block probably isn't going to last forever. I can't wait to see what happens when it's finally been removed and Lex is left to face his long, complicated past life with Superman. :D :D :D

18. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

I'm a bit behind you too guys on this. As AY knows, I just picked up the first six issues from Comixology, but have had time to read only the first one - I actually kinda like the fact I can read it online, so I can do it from either my laptop or my wife's PC, which has a much bigger screen.

That said, I liked what I did read, and I'm eager for the rest. I had to try real hard though when I saw Clark in the suit to go 'Oh, that's just Doucheman playing at being Supes."

:lol:

Chloe can offer me coffee any morning of the week!

:evil:

Anyway, I'll get caught up here hopefully this week. I don't want to rush it, I want to enjoy each and every issue.

:bolian:

19. Admiral_Young

Clark's actually been less douchy under Miller's penship than say if one of the lesser talented writers from the series was handling him. Miller has a good grasp of his characterization while still staying true to that Smallville-ness. I thought I would hate it...but it works nicely in comic form.

20. Allyn Gibson

This is interesting. The Smallville comic book cover seen in the final episode is going to be on the cover to the second printing of Season 11 #1: