Not Sure If This Has Been Asked Or Not

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by All Seeing Eye, Nov 11, 2009.

?

Should all the Dominion war battles on Deep Space Nine be remastered?

1. YES

53.8%
  2. NO

46.2%
  1. All Seeing Eye

All Seeing Eye Admiral

Should all the Dominion war battles on Deep Space Nine be remastered?

They were great at the time although on occasion they replayed clips from previous battles and some of the battle scenes were short but should they use latest CGI Tech and plenty of money to remaster all the battles to make them longer and cooler?

2. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe it's because my main point of comparison is Babylon 5 rather than something new and spiffy, but they look fine to me. Also, longer? Wouldn't that require them to cut other scenes?

3. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

It would be AWESOME if they could add in new material. I think that what could be done with the Battle of Cardassia these days would be unbelievable. My contention is that we should get a flyover of the planet at the very end instead of just the matte shot...that would REALLY drive the point home.

4. RyuRoots

RyuRoots Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought the battles looked fine (and I first watched DS9 this last year). I wish the battle in What You Leave Behind didn't have reused footage, but that's about it.

5. mattyhugh

mattyhugh Commander Red Shirt

I voted yes, but then I thought about it. And while when you compare them to B5 they're a million times better so I think I might have spook to soon.

6. Sykonee

Sykonee Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They were quite good at making use of new footage right until the WylB. That's the only episode I'd say could benefit from new scenes, at the very least by replacing all the stock footage they used. Mind, you'd probably have to rescore it as well, amongst other things. Not sure Paramount's all that fussed about doing so at this point.

7. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would love to see extended, newer battle scenes--even though DS9's FX scenes, of all Treks, probably need the attention the least, the end result would be the most kickass.

Hell yeah.

Also, why just the Dominion War? I want to see fifteen minutes worth of the Battle of the Omarian Nebula. Maybe a final shot that shows the crippled flagship warbird (flagbird?) being hauled off, to set up In Purgatory's Shadow. I also wanted to see the Defiant and Lakota punish each other more severely. And more hopeless fighting at Wolf 359!

WotW is pretty much fine as is, but seeing a big space fight between the KE and CU would have been neat, although it would possibly screw up the pacing.

8. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Voted no because I don't believe that all the battle of the Dominion War need to be redo.

For example I don't think you need to do anything to the USS Centaur battle, the fake damaged Defiant bait battle, the Rotarrans strike on the Monac shipyards, the First Battle of Chin'toka, Martok's raid on the (Trelka V?) starbase, the Breen attacking the stolen attack ship and destroying it over Cardassia...which is all I can name at this point.

Some do need work. The "Call to Arms" battle maybe just a bit of work to have some larger Dominion and Cardassian ships blow up as well and to get rid of the attack ship attack on the Defiant laying mines, I think it was stock footage of two of three Jem'Hadar attack ships diving and firing...maybe stock footage of Defiant getting hit.

Operation Return is a tough one. I'd like to see more ships exploding and maybe having a stronger initial charge other then just seeing the Defiant destroy one or two ships but having the initial contact point appearing more like when the Klingon's arrive, though I guess that would take away from that later scene.

The Second battle of Chin'toka is fine I think. Or at least I can't think of anything really needed.

Battle of Cardassia I'd rework quite a bit. A more grand launch from DS9 instead of the reuse from Tears, a wider shot and see a truly massive fleet. I think the Defiant was at the head of the formation in tears, I'd place it back much like in Favors the Bold. I'd also drop the entering Chin'toka but without the planet in the background shot for something original, maybe also include a shot of the Dominion fleet, though it wouldn't be static but have ships moving into position. I'd definitely drop all the reused footage, especially the SoA stuff, which stands out too much given it shows a much tighter engagement while all the rest shows its far more spread out with small groups engaging each other.

Not exactly sure what I'd do but maybe something with short scenes that focus on a side from all the various sides. One of the Defiant attacking someone, then a Klingon ship, a Romulan ship, a Dominion ship, a Cardassian ship, a Breen ship (maybe not in that order and a mix of attacking and seeing them get destroyed).

Once we get to Cardassia I'd keep pretty much the same thing but maybe add an extra detail and have Dominion and Breen ships visible bombarding the surface in the background just to add to the "They're killing Cardassians!" factor. After seeing that scene I desperately wanted to have the two sides once again engage. Imagine being a Cardassian and having to watch your homeworld burn while the Feds, Roms and Klings tell you to wait. You would be pissed and no doubt thinking that the slowness to act is the allies messing with Cardassians just one last time. No doubt the Roms and Klingons did not shed a tear as they watched...well, we know the Klingons didn't. Martok was happily toasting over their bodies, we probably cut out just before we broke into a merry Klingon shanty. Anyway, I'd love to work the battle back in just to readd a sense of desperation to Kira and Garak to get the Founder to surrender. Throw in some short scenes of the battle and have Kira call for Odo as the Defiant is dealing out death and have Odo link with her as her final orbital defences are breaking and that she is about to have dozens of Klingons and Romulans marching on her position, throw in a bit of self-preservation into the mix of why she surrendered.

To conclude, I would make a few adjustments if I could...

9. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nah, I like it as it is. If it did get an SFX overhaul, just icing on the cake. As it is I like it well enough.

J.