Why so little Uhura in ST3?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by wonderstoat, Nov 28, 2008.

1. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Once she beamed Kirk, McCoy, and Sulu up to the Enterprise, she had to make a break for it herself. Whether you buy into what McIntyre wrote (Uhura just barely makes it inside the Vulcan embassy gates as Starfleet security officers catch up to her) or you come up with an alternate means of her getting off-world and to Vulcan, locking Mr. Adventure in the closet means Uhura won't be missed from her sleepy little transporter station until her next check-in time. Whereas if Mr. Adventure is left to his own devices, you know he'll call security the minute she leaves the building.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Interesting (and by that I mean "confusing"), that a world would need an embassy to a Federation of which it is a member...

So why didn't she just stun him with her phaser? No need to lock him in a closet. Who knows how long he was stuck in there before Starfleet just happened to stumble across him. I'm guessing it wasn't that long (since Uhura was apparently not charged with murder in the next film), but was it anything other than blind luck - that Mr. Adventure didn't starve to death before somebody just *happened* to find him? Shit, she must have been some kind of pissed just because of that one little verbal snit he made...

3. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    True that! But while Mr. Adventure was a punk, he might've messed up Uhura's escape, so she didn't want to take any chances and locked him away.

BTW, his career probably took a hit after that incident -- winding down prematurely, perhaps? I did like Vonda McIntyre's novel explanation for how Uhura had to stay behind to mess up communications to help Enterprise escape.

BTW, I believe they wanted to replace Enterprise with the Excelsior for the end of TVH and make it their new ship. Would've been cool!

Red Ranger

4. Mr. Laser Beam

It bloody well shouldn't have. Attitude notwithstanding, he was only doing his duty. Starfleet cannot be so fucking thick as to not notice that. :mad:

Apparently he shows up in Catalyst of Sorrows (well, looky here, apparently he survived after all...lucky him). I haven't read that yet. Anyone? What happened to him?

5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Members of the United Nations still have embassies in each other's countries. Why wouldn't Vulcans have a few places they could call home, just because they'd joined the UFP? Earth would have a few Earth embassies on Vulcan, too. The Vulcan Embassy on Earth was also mentioned in TMP (re Sonak's family).

Did she lock him in, or just tell him to get into it, so he couldn't be penalized for what he'd otherwise witness?

She told Kirk she'd have him eating out her hand, so she didn't intend to leave him there forever.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

In ENT's time frame, maybe. But that's only because there's no Federation at that point. In TOS and later, there is. With a Federation, what's the need for embassies? The UFP is not the United Nations. It's an integrated political body. You don't see the various states in the USA having embassies with each other, do you?

I always assumed she locked him in. Otherwise he would, well, escape. ;)

And as for what he'd *witness*? He'd already seen what was going to happen. Starfleet wouldn't penalize him for just that, would they? Once he saw who was showing up there, he pointed out exactly what his duty required him to. He noted that Kirk and crew had no orders, no IDs, no authorization. He did what was required of him. All that Uhura would let him do, at any rate...he was (presumably) unarmed, so he had no way to stop what was about to happen. This is why I see Uhura's actions against him as pure spite.

Perhaps. As I pointed out, she wasn't charged with his murder, so he must have gotten out somehow. Maybe she told Starfleet where to find him. Guess that would be the pickle on the giant shit sandwich that was his day. :(

7. cardinal biggles

Even if Uhura had locked him in, I'm sure that he would have been let out long before he starved to death. Once Kirk stole the Enterprise, Uhura would have been at the top of Starfleet's list of possible accomplices to round up for interrogation. A security team would have been dispatched to the transporter station, and Mr. Adventure would have been discovered when the security guys swept the building.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Depends on how good Uhura was at covering her tracks. She must have done something to the transporter and/or the computer records to prevent Starfleet from doing things like following her, trying to beam the crew back off the Enterprise, or otherwise fouling up her plan. Who knows how any of her actions in that regard helped, or hindered, the possibility of Mr. Adventure being rescued.

9. Shatmandu

Shatmandu Vice Admiral Admiral

In the Slash fiction?

So she could shave his genitals and then cornhole him with some kind of sentient dildo.

Joe, never the same ... never the same

10. Yassim

Yassim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Is there a movie where Uhura had more to do?

The only example that springs to mind is the fan dance... the horror... the horror... or the book-reading-Klingon-translation... she should have asked for a death scene in STIV.

11. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Why is everyone so down on the fan-dance scene? Gosh, I only hope I look that good when I'm that age.

12. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

It's DAMN IRREGULAR, that's why! :lol:

13. cardinal biggles

They have pills for that, y'know. :)

14. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    Peach Wookie:

Agreed! And I'd hit Uhura in the shape she was when she did the fan dance. Hell yeah! I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more fan dance!:guffaw:

Red Ranger

15. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Why are you so fixated on him nearly dying? He would have been discovered at the end of his shift. They didn't live in there for days, it would have been a couple hours at most.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Somebody has to be. Uhura clearly wasn't. :p

Oh, and I'm claustrophobic. I guess I can't think of that scene without having flashbacks. That enough for ya?

Perhaps. Depends on how long a shift is, and how long they had been on duty. Who knows, shifts could be longer in this time period (depending on if there's a food replicator and a W.C. handy). And I'm just hazarding a guess that the closet wasn't sound proof. ;)

Like I said, though, there was no actual *reason* for Uhura to lock him in there. She was angry at him, and wanted to make him suffer. That much is clear to me. All she had to do to stop him from interfering was to stun him with her phaser. By the time he awoke, she'd be long gone. Locking him in the closet served no logical purpose other than some sick sense of revenge - for ONE verbal slip-up (which, as I also said, was not entirely untrue).

17. Yassim

Yassim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Because when there's only one woman on the team (the anti-hostage paramilitary team), asking her to shake her ass to distract the enemy is ... embarrasing? shouldn't work? not cool?

Don't get me wrong - she's hot. But it is DAMNED IRREGULAR!

18. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

All right, Mr. Adventure...back into the storage closet with you! :lol:

19. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Anyone here old enough to remember the Star Trek III trailers spoiling the Enterprise blowing up? How did that make you feel before you saw the film?

20. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Like, wow, how's Kirk going to carry off that trick? ;)