Is a Blu-Ray release of SG-1 possible?

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by Mr. Laser Beam, Jun 16, 2011.

1. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

Yeah, I found it 'by other means' but it had the commentary over it.

2. cal888

cal888 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Was it in 720p?

3. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

No sorry, I was just thinking of SD.

4. cal888

cal888 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I watched the beginning of my 720p copy of New Order (season 8 opener) sourced from SkyOne. The recap of Lost City (season 7 finale) has effects and 'characters just talking' shots that look SD but with much greater picture quality than the clip of the Abydos pyramid blowing up from Full Circle in the opening credits. But the SG-13 being attacked shot from Heroes in the opening credits looks HD (which does have effects in it). Slightly confused about Season 7 potentially being in HD at this point.

Complicating matters is SyFy airing SG-1 episodes available in HD only in SD along with no iTunes releases of HD SG-1 episodes (although season 10 may have been available from iTunes at some point -- WEB-DLs of those episodes have emerged onto the "scene").

5. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

Season 7 was shot on 35mm film, which is higher resolution than HD, but I'm not sure about the visual effects. I would presume by that time they were being rendered in HD though.

6. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Funnily enough, I watched the Comic Con Panel for Stargate Continuum the other day, and not only did they mention that the next movie was all but a sure thing, but that their Children of the Gods Final Cut would be out on DVD and Blu Ray if I'm not mistaken.

So yeah, something happened to kill the BR release.

7. Productionstud9

Productionstud9 Cadet Newbie

okay i'm fixing to clear this up once and for all, and it's not good at all, here's the real reason why SG-1 won't be releasing a blu-ray set of SG-1, in season 7 or 8 brad wright had to move the series to the Sci-fi channel okay, and the thing about the sci-fi channel is that they make thier money by buying the production rights and ownership of emerging movies and tv shows that tends to be unpopular or low budget okay, now here's what happened, because stargate was a high end Tv show brad right thought the Sci-fi channel would be like showtime, make thier money by playing stargate, however the sci-fi channel is greedy, so threatening to cancel stargate sci-fi forced brad wright to get rid of one of thier original cast and put some of sci-fi channel's add-in cast, on top of that sci-fi wanted full rights to the show after he agreed to it, sci-fi threatened to cancel the contract and sue for rights to SG-1, so brad wright pulls the show and cancels both SG-1 and atlantis, Sci-fi then claims stargate and releases universe that didn't even last a full season. So, because of that there is now a ownership claim fight going on unsettled, and until it is settled on brad wright's part we will never see SG-1 be released on blu-ray or any other future technology upgrade conversion, it's not a production issue with the recording quality, that's what production software is for, we converted WWii film to 1920 1080i for crying out loud, that argument is arguable, so that's the real issue, but you can pull out your protest signs and demand the release of ownerrights to brad wright and threaten a boycott if they don't if you want

8. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

Utter bullshit. You made most of that up. Syfy have zero rights to the show itself, all they have is first-run broadcast rights in the US. Similarly, Brad Wright does not, and never has, owned any rights to the show or the franchise.

9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah, what? The only cast change when SG-1 moved from Showtime to SyFy was Michael Shanks leaving and replaced by Corrin Nemec. Shanks wanted to leave on his own accord, and Nemec was cast before the show officially moved to SyFy anyway.

1) Atlantis was cancelled two years after SG-1 was, and both were cancelled by SyFy.

2) SGU in fact ran two full seasons.

3) Brad Wright was as involved with SGU as he was with SG-1 and Atlantis.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  10. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

There is so much wrong information in this post, that red-lining it would leave you with nothing but a giant red blot.

11. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Doesn't MGM own the rights to Stargate, after all I don't recall seeing the Syfy logo during the end credits when the production companies come up.