enterprise : the romulan war

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by timothy, Feb 27, 2011.

1. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

currently I 've been reading star trek enterprise prerelaunch . Most are okay I am on daedalus's children right now then I plan to go onto to rosettea .
    then relaunch reread .soppossedly there will be a fifth book this year . who has been reading the war and what do you think of season five of enterprise? Do you think we will see the birth of the federation in this series and if so how long will the war be ? and who are the first races to join ? I know some :

1) human
    2) vulcan
    3) andorian
    4) telerite

those I think are the main founding members am I missing any others ?

2. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

No, you're not missing any. :) The five founding worlds are Earth, Alpha Centauri (which is populated by humans), Vulcan, Andoria and Tellar.

We don't yet know which were/will be the first non-founding members, or how long it took for any to join. Basically, our knowledge of the period between the UFP's formation in 2161 and the mid-23rd century is very slim. At present we know the five founding worlds and then, a century later, we have over 30 members.

3. timothy

do we have a list of those 30 members ?

4. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

There's never been anything definite, but there are clues. And it's not 30 exactly, just around that (and of course each member state might have more than one world).

As a very loose timeline of membership:

The founders are Alpha Centauri, Andoria, Earth, Tellar and Vulcan.

Between 2161 and, say, 2250

By the 2250s-60s, the Caitians, Deltans, Denobulans, Rigelians, Saurians and Tiburonians appear to be well-established members.

2260s

We know the Argelians are members; looks like the Cygnians are too. Probably the Antarans (Beta Antares IV). Coridan and Ardana join at this time. The Axanar seem to be in, possibly recently.

2270s

By the 2270s-80s, the Arkenites, Efrosians, Kasheeta, Kazarites, Rhaandarites and Zaranites are established members (those are all races introduced in the films, and since expanded on in the novels). The Trill too - they seem to have associated with the UFP for quite a while, but maybe they only join now.

2290s

The Huanni join in 2293.

Early 24th century

By around the 2330s the Atreans, Betazoids, Bolians, Gnalish and Pandrilites are established members. The Alonis join in 2336. The Grazerites probably join around now, if Jaresh-Inyo's backstory is considered.

Mid-24th century

The Damiani are undergoing the admissions process. The Zakdorn are members by this point at the latest.

2350-2360s

By around the 2360s at the latest, Arbazan, Elaysians, Hermats, Nasats and Seleneans are members. Pahkwa-thanh join in 2360. Benzites seem to be in the last stages of the admissions process at this time.

Antedeans in the 2360s.

2370 +

Bajorans in 2376.

Koas in 2380.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really dislike the Enterprise relaunch.
    Turning Trip into a spy is bad fanfic, trying to reconcile ENT with the 1993 Star Trek Chronology is bad fanwank, trying to undo Romulan cloaking devices in the 2150's is bad retconning (the cloaked ships blew up the minute the camera left them... yeah right), many of the situations are stale rehashes of season four situations (another Orion slave market rumble?), the rewrite of "These Are the Voyages" only served to make everyone look doubly stupid, trying to reconcile the "hi tech" NX-01 with the "low tech" TOS is even worse fanwank (it was made in the 60's. That's why it looks low tech. It's like trying to explain why the Gorn from "Arena" looks like a guy in a rubber suit, ffs!), the "real" Kobayashi Maru was a huge missed oppertunity and worst of all, it's boring. :(

IMO. YMMV.

6. Janos

Janos Commander Red Shirt

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there some fan issues about seeing Romulans in Enterprise TV or lit? I don't recall TOS TV episodes with total recall, but weren't the Rimulans "mysterious" and unseen even in a lot of the TOS TV episodes? I think they debuted in TOS time, no? If so, how can Enterprise be building to a Romulan War unless there is a reset button at the end of all this?

7. TerraUnam

TerraUnam Commander Red Shirt

"Balance of Terror", the first Romulan episode on TOS, canonically established the Earth-Romulan War and the fact that the two sides had never seen each other's face, they just fired at the ships.

ENT, both the show and the novel relaunch just ran with this concept.

As an idea it's not so out there, the Pacific Theatre of WWII saw several naval battles where the two sides fleets never saw each other, the battle was conducted entirely by aircraft over-the-horizon from the surface fleet. It's a simple jump to extend this concept with space battles.

8. Janos

Janos Commander Red Shirt

Ah. Thx. Makes sense. Also, I imagine b/c the readers know who Romulans are, the readers get the benefit of reading about pre-TOS Romulus and Romulans while the ENT crew, etc. are in the dark. So its kind of a win-win for readers, I guess. Readers can learn/see what ENT won't. Interesting.

BTW, what season was Balance of Terror in?

9. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Season 1

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

They already did this during the Romulan arc in ENT's last season. The ENT Relaunch continues on from there.

11. TerraUnam

TerraUnam Commander Red Shirt

In Destiny: Mere Mortals we had a short peak into Earth in 2168.

Erika Hernandez, by then 600 years old thanks to Caeliar tech, used that tech to hack into Earth's data nets. The Federation had been founded in 2161 and Archer was an Admiral, soon to be a Federation representative on Andor.

The current ENT relaunch is going through the Earth-Romulan War at a pace of one year per book. The next book In Shariel's Shadow would cover 2157 and is due out in November. That leaves three to five more books at the current rate to finish the war in 2160 and get around to the Big Event in 2161.

One would hope the events of 2161 would be their own book but who knows.

12. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

Also note that In Shariel's Shadow has been renamed to To Brave the Storm.

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^And it was In Shariel's Jaws anyway.

14. timothy

so the war last a year ? and also the romulans were soppossed to have use combat suit that hid there features as well . also the romulans were using a device that took over ships that were vulcan based tech right . so the had to go old school tech and
    and use nukes . I love it when the federation goes to war big military sci fi fan.
    that is also why I love the burried age picard uses proper military terms on starships .
    such as capital ships love that.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It lasted from 2155-2160, Beneath the Raptor's Wing cover's the first year.

16. timothy

thank you jd . five year war very cool. what was the year for j j abrhams star trek movie ? because archer is still alive is'nt he ?

17. DeVario

DeVario Commodore Commodore

^ The movie was in 2258 I believe. So Archer would be 146 (going by his birth year 2112)

18. Christopher

^Technically, all that was established onscreen was that there was an admiral named Archer who had a beagle. They never mentioned the admiral's first name. It could've been Jonathan Archer's son/daughter/grandchild. Which is far more probable. Human lifespans in the 140s are credible in the TNG era, but it would be very unlikely for someone of Archer's generation.

19. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ That's true but I think the intention was to imply Jonathon Archer and not his descendants. Think that scene was meant to be a small shout out to Enterprise fans and a reference to the bio in the Mirror Universe episode.

20. Christopher

But Archer's bio in "In a Mirror, Darkly" had him die in 2245, according to a page of text that didn't make it onscreen. That's 13 years before the movie, and I doubt Scotty had been exiled to Delta Vega for that long. In both cases, we're talking about offscreen intentions, not onscreen canon, and you know as well as I do that if it's not onscreen, it isn't binding. All we know for a fact is that it was some admiral named Archer who had a prized beagle. Anything beyond that is pure conjecture. So it's wrong to say "Jonathan Archer's alive at the time of the movie" as though it were a fact. The most that can honestly be said is that there's a hint that he might be alive. But it's such an ambiguous hint, and it's so very, very improbable, that it would be foolhardy to treat it as a fact.