What would you re-watch leading up to "Deep Breath"?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Mark_Nguyen, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Back from vacation and ready to get ready to watch the S8 premiere. Usually when a given show comes back I watch at least the preceding episode or two, to ease back into the narrative (whatever that may be). So, obviously it makes sense to re-watch "Time of the Doctor", which I hope to do with only a day or two left prior to "Deep Breath".

But what else should be re-watched before the premiere, if anything? What would you watch? As it happens, I have "Spearhead from Space" on the go right now as an example of a new Doctor premiere story; it seems fitting given the similarities expressed by what we've seen so far with the Capaldi Doctor, to say nothing of the actor's apparent endearment to the show during this particular era (re: his published letters to the fan club from the time, etc.). So that's on the list to me.

I *was* thinking "Day of the Doctor" would be a must see, but really it's got little to do with this Doctor except for a furrowed brow for an entire second. Probably an option. Others on that list would probably do with a refresh on Clara Oswald with "The Bells of St. John", plus maybe the last time we saw the Patternoster gang with "The Crimson Horror".

Finally, if you want to see what Capaldi's recent acting is like, you could try out an episode of "The Musketeers", his minor role in "WWZ" but I'd probably most recommend the da Vinci biography where he dramatically presents some of the Maestro's writings. Awesome stuff.

Other candidates? And what are YOU re-watching as the date draws near?

Mark

2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm hesitant to post this, because it's based on having read the script. However...

The episode to rewatch would be "The Girl in the Fireplace."

3. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

I've just been re-watching the last several Matt Smith stories--going to watch "The Bells of St. John" tonight, then move on to "Name/Day/Time of the Doctor."

4. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks Allyn, that's an episode no one should hesitate to watch again, regardless of circumstance. :)

Mark

5. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Nothing, it's a new Doctor, I don't feel the need to prepare for him.

I did watch Pyramids of Mars a few days ago but that had nothing to do with Deep Breath, I was just in the mood for a classic Fourth/Sarah Jane story.

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Oh really? I am suddenly intrigued!

7. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Yes, the two episodes are distantly related.

Also highly spoilery, is that the second episode can almost be considered the anti-thesis of...
    the Eccleston-era episode, Dalek

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I recently re-watched Day of the Doctor, more because I had a quiet afternoon stuck at home than anything else. Though that encouraged me to re-watch Time of the Doctor primarily for preparation.

9. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Actually, we last saw the Paternoster gang in "The Name of the Doctor."

I've been jumping around a lot lately. Currently, if I go strictly in order, next in line would be "Remembrance of the Daleks." However, if I skipped ahead to where I left off with Matt Smith, I'd be finishing off his last 5 episodes anyway ("The Crimson Horror" through "The Time of the Doctor"). That might be just as well. I still haven't watched my DVD of "The Time of the Doctor" even though I bought it at least a couple months ago. ("The Day of the Doctor," however, has gotten many rewatches since then.)