Stargate SG-1 - First time viewing of whole series

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by Captain Craig, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm way late to this series. I've only seen a handful of partial episodes over the years when the show hit network reruns and then it was later at night. Not sure how many episodes in total I actually saw. Essentially this is a first time viewing for me for the whole series.

I did this with nuBSG and Farscape the past year as well.
    I see the forum has little activity but any teases of what I might expect along the way are welcome but I ask you please to not outright spoiler anything for me.

****PLEASE NO DIRECT SPOILERS****

I've started off with the first 4 episodes thus far

1x1- Children of the Gods
    1x2- The Enemy Within
    1x3- Emancipation
    1x4- The Broca Divide

It seems the series picks up only a couple years after the movie and again Colonel O'Neil(l) is at home. This time retired instead of on extended leave. The ties back to the movie were a nice touchstone to the point of even having the same actor back playing Skaara. We've got Kawalsky and Ferretti back in tow as well. I really wasn't expecting that of the latter three. The show wasted no time though in cutting ties and establishing that they would not be the focus. Although it looks like Skaara will be back in play at some point, as well as Sha're, since they are vessels of the the gods.

Seeing as how the pilot and the movie are obviously linked right down to one actor playing the same character and moments like the lighter playing out what is the "in universe" reason for O'Neill's spelling error? Is there one or just chalked up to bad real world goof. I mean they spell Kawalsky and Ferretti right in both credits, hard to think O'Neill with the one 'L' was an issue.

So it seems as stated in the second episode that ancient Earth cultures most likely populate many of the destinations on the Stargate. They wasted no time by showing early Monguls and Minoan cultures in episodes 3&4. I'm thinking this concept will last for the first few seasons? I know at some point we get beyond(I know little gray Thor is much later down the road) that but for now that's likely the first few season? Yes?

My goal would be to have all 10 seasons viewed by the end of the year. I also know there were some wrap up telefilms, right? It's down the road but should those be viewed after the series is over or are they bridging films to any particular seasons.

Hopefully this thread will allow some diehards to relive the the series with me.

2. gturner

gturner Admiral

There are two movies that are viewed after the series, as I recall.

Richard Dean Anderson started out playing O'Neill like Kirt Russell, which is obviously how the series would've been pitched, but very quickly the writers let RDA take the character in a different direction, adding whimsical humor, quips, and quirkiness. I don't recall how soon in season 1 that becomes apparent.

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's just one of the many changes they made in the series from the movie. There are a few, though the only other one that stands out at the moment is that the movie states that Abydos was in another galaxy, while in the series it is very obviously in the Milky Way.

Later in the series they make a joke about the different spelling. While talking to a news reoprter, O'Neill says "it's O'Neill, with two Ls. There's another Colonel O'Neil, spells it with one L. No sense of humour."

The ancient civilizations on other worlds is primarily in the first few seasons, then we start seeing humans who have technology 100 years behind or ahead of us, though mostly primitive humans. By the end of the series, they're making weekly trips to Renaissance Faires.

The two DVD films The Ark of Truth and Continuum are meant to be watched after the series. They wrap up two prominent storylines from the final seasons which the show didn't have time to complete due to its cancellation.

4. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

The movie placed the Gate in the fictional "Creek Mountain", while the series quietly relocates it to the real-life Cheyenne Mountain.

Daniel's wife was named Sha'uri in the movie, and Sha're in the series.

The name of O'Neill son changes, but to be fair, it was only seen briefly in writing in the movie.

5. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I started re-watching the series with my wife earlier this year. She had never seen it before, so it's been fun reliving it with her. We're only in season four, but we don't have a whole lot of free time.
    The first half of the season one is clearly the weakest, but IMO it really hits it's stride with Torment of Tantalus and stays pretty consistent until the end of season five.

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've seen this series in disjointed late night chunks thanks to what passes for tv here. I'm now watching it from season one so I will be checking out this thread!

7. teacake

So need more rewatch posts. I've now rewatched the four listed by the OP. Emancipation was so classically bad I was LOL but kind of embarrassed and annoyed too as it's the sort of ep you hope your on the fence friends never see. On the fence about the worthiness of watching sci fi. And then we get The Broca Divide with that classic trope of a virus making everyone FIGHT and MATE. I did enjoy it though.

8. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Having only watched SG-1 in a massive series run-through a little while back, I'm quite keen to watch again. My vague memories are, like most SF series, it started off really clunky (like a baby gazelle finding its feet © J.Archer). And it felt a bit low-budget with those endless recycled Vancouver locations. What ultimately made it start to work for me were the characters, esp RDA's humour and Tealc's stoicism. And the latter addition of all those great Goa'uld lords, Bra'tac, Sam's father and McKay.

9. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

"Emancipation" is considered to be the "Code of Honor" of the Stargate franchise. I think my jaw dropped on first watch at how over the top it was. There are better ways to make an episode about sexism without bashing you over the head with stereotypes.

10. teacake

OH well if the Code of Honor of SG:1 happened in the third ep then it's all uphill from there!

Lurok, let's do a rewatch!

I've done a couple more..

The First Commandment: I felt like I was missing something here.. like a huge back story about Mr. I Am God. Did we see him before this and bond with him? I like eps where the good guys go rogue but there could have been more context other than Carter's comments about him being intense. Garth of Izar he wasn't. However rogue nut's role was helped along for me because he looked very much like a religious nut I know, almost creepily so.

Cold Lazarus: I liked this one, even with my aversion to people's real life problems. I liked the crystals, the learning curve crystal O'Neill was on, the way it showed you how little the team knew about O'Neill. I liked it right up until the Real O'Neill thought it would be a good idea to show his ex-wife a fake version of her dead child. Here honey, it's not actually our dead child but wow, what a likeness eh? Jesus christ on a stargate.

11. The Wormhole

They're both written by the same person too.

12. teacake

Wow that's.. awful :lol:

The Nox: Fairy Quark is sweet! Fairy Quark has pretty mossy hair..

13. teacake

I'm wondering if I should continue my brief run through reviews (I intend to watch the whole thing pretty regularly) in this thread or start another one. I'm picturing the OP showing up half way through season 2 and wondering what happened to his thread.. but I'm not sure if two review threads on the front page is acceptable.

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

You could always ask the Mods in the Questions board.;)

15. teacake

I don't like going in there. It's scary.

16. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Oh please...There's like 1 - 3 active threads a day in BSG and SG Forums. You think someone's gonna object because you have your own Watch thread, because you are watching at a different daily rate then the existing one? DS0 had 3 watching threads, not long ago. Enterprise and/or Voyager have 2 or 3 currently)

17. teacake

Okay.

Every time I start hanging out in a different forum on this BBS I become aware of a different set of culture rules. This one is so dead I wasn't sure what the deal was.

18. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Time to do a
    Jacob Carter? :)

19. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Sorry BBS'ers I got heavily sidetracked offline and had to push some episode viewing to the side. My apologies, I hope to get back on my intended track of more consistent watching.

So over the weekend I watched the following:

1x5-The First Commandment: This episode showed up what happens when someone through the Stargate accepts being treated like a god by the natives. This didn't seem to be any particular group of people grabbed from a historical identifiable time period. It does bring up, and was raised briefly in the episode, how the psych evaluations could've missed that the commander might be prone to this type behavior. They didn't seem to fully give credence to the idea that the overly strong radiation from the sun could be the full source of his issue.

1x6-Cold Lazarus: Really enjoyed this episode over Commandment. If for no other reason than the doppelganger O'Neill seemed to connect and show the trauma of what happened to the O'Neill's after the death of their son than we had seen to date.

1x7-Brief Candle: This episode reminded me very much of the TNG episode Inner Light(I think that's the title) where Picard lives out a lifspan in a short amount of "real world" time. The flute was the touchstone. This episode didn't need that as it occured in "real time" to O'Neill. Great episode!!

1x8-Thor's Hammer: Clearly tied to Vikings and I'm assuming the foundation for the little grey Thor to come(I have heard of this character, he's one of the few things I knew to be coming) later in the series. James Earl Jones as the voice of Unas aka The First was a nice touch. The only loophole I thought of was if the gateway with the energy barrier was the only place that energy appeared what was to stop Teal'C from leaving the way that Carter&Jackson got in. They came in from another point afterall. The episode just implied that archway was the problem, not that the energy killer was everywhere. Maybe I missed something though.

20. The Wormhole

The archway was fatal to Goa'uld but anyone without a symbiote could pass through either way.