Chekov in Red to Ceti Alpha V

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Tom Riker, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Tom Riker

Tom Riker Lieutenant

So "Mister I never forget a face" Chekov is wearing red in the trailer indicating a transfer to secuirty or enginneering. Let's take the Greg Cox book Reign in Hell, Chekov was a reshirt in security who led Khan and his men down to Ceti Alpha V and helped established the colony.

So there you go.

It's Khan.

Actually Cumberbatch is Jochim and Weller is Khan, hiding in the shadows ala Norman OSborne in 2012's Amazing Spiderman.

2. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Undisputable proof, that is ;)

You know, I'm starting to hear more of this "Weller is Khan" stuff, now that BC isn't Khan. What's up with that? Are the fanboys so committed to having Khan in this movie that they need to justify it any way they can? Weller isn't that great of an actor. IMHO, his performance in ENT was terribly wooden. And if BC is the villain, why would Khan need to be in the movie at all?

3. Tom Riker

Tom Riker Lieutenant

Since 1982, Star Trek has been trying to re-create Khan and Star Trek 2. Can we really believe with a "new" trek 2 exactly 30 years later, they're not going to use the most iconic villian in Star Trek history?

4. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I think we can believe that...

5. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I can

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's what came to my mind when I saw Chekov in red (although my sources were the novel Ex Machina and the old DC comic reference Who's Who in Star Trek - which all say pretty much the same thing)

Although I think Chekov wears red after Captain Peter Weller takes command of the Enterprise and shuffles around the remaining crew (after K, S and U leave SF to hunt Harrison on Kronos)

7. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

They have?

No, because the whole point of creating the Abramsverse was so that they could tell new, original stories, not retread old ideas.

8. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

It might be a bit of contrived logic to think Chekov in red is a sign Weller is Khan. In the prime universe, Chekov ended up in security. So, maybe he just made the move earlier in this universe. Of course, he could be in engineering, too, since he seems to be running through engineering in a photo.

As is King Daniel, I'm on record having posted several times that I believe Weller is captain of the Enterprise while Kirk is "in civvies," and Chekov was just reassigned to either security or engineering (Chekov was, after all, the transporter whiz before Scotty came on board).

By the way, perhaps an easy way to determine if Weller is Khan would be to look at pictures of him from around the time of filming and see if he was bulked up at all. Also, for what it's worth, Weller is 65, and Montalban was 45 when "Space Seed" was filmed. Just pointing that out. Don't know if it matters. But can Weller play a superhuman in his mid-forties with any believability?

As pictures and dribs and drabs of the story come out, and the writers, producers, and actors do interviews and travel to promote the movie, the silence surrounding Weller and his character is certainly deafening.

9. Tom Riker

Tom Riker Lieutenant

Shinzon, The Borg Queen, Dukat, Ru'Afo,

10. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Say what? In what way is the Borg Queen a Khan-copy, and even more bizarre Dukhat and Ru'Afo?

11. Tom Riker

Tom Riker Lieutenant

all motivated by vengeneance and with the exception of Ruafo, had an axe to grind with the captain

12. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

When all else fails, it's Greg's fault.

I like it! :D

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

While I certainly won't presume to speak for Greg Cox, I submit the theory that having Chekov in security in his novel served a double purpose of explaining how Khan recognized him and gave Chekov a security background which would presumably be necessary since he was the chief of security in TMP.

As for why Chekov is wearing red in the trailer, I'll just assume he's been transferred to security and I'll assume so until I hear official word (:guffaw:) saying otherwise.

14. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

And in "Robocop" he was metallic.

15. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Greg was following the lead planted by Vonda McIntyre in her ST II novelization, establishing a TOS-era friendship between Chekov and Marla.

The red security shirts, made for Koenig, to be used in the "Phase II" TV series saw onscreen duty as Orkan uniforms in Paramount's "Mork & Mindy".

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The movie's about Khan.

Weller isn't Khan.

17. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Come on. By that logic, every movie where the bad guy wants revenge against the good guy would be just another Wrath of Khan.

Ka-ching! :lol:

On that note, I had always wished that Phase II would have been produced instead of TMP. Now, if a new series were to be produced, there's a high probability that it will be based on JJTrek. So I may get my wish after all! ;)

18. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Shinzon yes, and that was intentional as stated by the creative team. But Dukat and the Borg Queen seem like big stretches. Their goals were more about conquest than vengeance. The Borg Queen simply wanted Earth and Picard just *happened* to be caught in her time vortex. Dukat was always much more concerned about regaining his war-time power and dominance over Bajor than one-upping Sisko, and early on he was more of a foil to Kira.