"Thrusters on full" ~Spock

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RoJoHen, May 17, 2009.

1. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

That would depend on who’s doing the thrusting, wouldn’t it?

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep, Nimoy says that he improvised the line on the set. So much for the intricately-constructed Abrams theory...

3. LeahBoBo

LeahBoBo Commander

Boy! You tell 'em, elton. :lol:

4. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought the line would be repeated by Kirk on the bridge once they cut to the Enterprise. It would have been better if he just said "Live Long and Prosper", and then the scene changes to the Enterprise.

-Chris

5. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

or, "All I ask, is a tall ship and a star to steer her by". Another poem Kirk quoted a couple of times.

-Chris

6. Admiral Buzzkill

I don't understand - is the effort here to come up with something more mannered, pretentious and in-jokish than what Nimoy actually said? Because that's what all of these long quotes and nautical references accomplish.

7. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

QFT.

There was nothing wrong with the line.

People are seriously overthinking this....even more than usual.

Frankly I would be more concerned that Pine could have said "Bones" more like Shatner and that they should have given him hazel contact lenses.

8. Anticitizen

Anticitizen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Spock doesn't seem like the type to talk to himself.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Odd, since he's been doing it at least since "The Naked Time". :lol:

10. Anticitizen

Anticitizen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, we all ramble a little bit when we're drunk :P

11. SHCone

SHCone Ensign Red Shirt

Yeah, seriously. This is being way overthunk.

Using thrusters instead of warp is perfectly logical for the moment. They were about to leave dock to head out with Kirk in command, officially, for the first time.

Contextually it works, and it works passing the torch.

Even if you don't like it, it does in fact function fine.

12. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd rather he said nothing. Closed his eyes, maybe, and nodded deeply, with or without a slight smile. But I ain't losing no sleep over it.

13. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

same hear. They should have had his voice trail off as the others took their turns though...but yeah,well done scene from a great STAR TREK movie. When was the last time you could really say that? TREK V? (wink wink)

Rob

14. BriannaLee

BriannaLee Ensign Newbie

I have to say that I almost cried when Spock prime said that. I mean, I got the feeling that he wishes that he were young again and have the voyages that his younger self will have. There was so much saddness conveyed in that line..

15. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Leonard Nimoy really did good there, I agree. IMO you can see the loss of his universe, and then the yearning he feels to be in this new one, and not knowing where it will go, come through as well...

Nimoy really looked good in this movie. For some reason, he looked better in this movie than he did in TUC and his appearence in the minor leagues (TNG). He pulled it off!!!

Rob

16. KingstonTrekker

KingstonTrekker Commander Red Shirt

I thought so as well. I think that Nimoy aged more noticeably than his co-stars during the Trek III-VI years and this dimished his presence somewhat in the role. (In interviews he has spoken about how his alcoholism was out of control for many years, which likely took a toll on his body. If I remember correctly he has been a non-drinker since the mid-80s.)

In Star Trek 09, he is playing an older Spock. As a result, his personal age/appearance is better aligned with the character. (I realize he also played an older Spock in "Unification" but that also did not fit as well -- maybe because the material wasn't as good as Star Trek 09?)

On the related topic in this thread --- I rememeber thinking that the "Thrusters on full" line seemed a bit strange when I first saw the movie. On subsequent viewings I have come to love it. I won't overanalize it :) but I think the line is a perfect passing of the torch.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2009
  17. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

agreed. I saw TREK XI twelve times, never caught Jeri!, and it plays well in repeated viewings, which is key, I think, in determining whether a movie is good or not.

Rob

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2009
  18. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

FFS it was only said as a way of passing the torch from Old Trek to new Trek.

The line was perfect. Not over-the-top, delivered well, and given the scene that followed it perfectly suited.

I can't believe people are whining and analysing it so much.

19. startrekrcks

startrekrcks Fleet Captain

well that was like Spock prime passing the torch on to the new Spock isn't it

20. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

Welcome to TrekBBS: I never knew how much Star Trek totally sucked until I came here!