PS4 and Xbox One Launch Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Nov 14, 2013.

1. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On top of what Yoda said, the Xbox One OS and Kinect are using more system resources than the PS4 OS, which is another factor. That gives the Xbox One all the features that will help them appeal to a wider audience, but the bulkier OS, slightly weaker system specs, and the eSRAM issues has led to a sizeable gap between the consoles at launch. With time, that gap will probably narrow.

But multi-platform games looking a little better on PS4 wont mean much if Xbox One has the better exclusive games, and at launch it certainly looks that way.

Same with me, Infamous Second Son is the only next-gen exclusive that I'm tempted by so far, so I'll be waiting until at least March before I consider buying a new console. If that game gets really good reviews, and the console doesn't suffer from an unusually high hardware failure rate, I may jump on board then. Otherwise, I'll probably hold out until next year.

2. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Just out of curiosity.. why then stay with XBox if you are forced to pay for a device you don't want and probably won't be using much?

From all acounts it seems the PS4 is more powerful graphics wise while the XOne seems to be the better media machine.

Just wanted to know your decision process.

3. AlphaMan

AlphaMan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^ Not to mention the $100 difference in price!

4. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

It's more of an outside chance really. I can't see why I'd need an Xbox One if my partner has a PS4. I think if there were exclusive games on it and a hefty price drop, then I'd be interested. I think because I have a 360 now I'm just curious. ;)

5. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

PS4 sold 1 million units in the first 24 hours, making it the best-selling console launch in history. Incredible numbers considering it only launched in North America, and the US was an Xbox 360 stronghold last gen. (In contrast, the PS3 only sold 200,000 units in its first two weeks on sale in the US.)

6. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

7. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Nearly every poll i saw about what console people will get the XOne lost, sometimes very badly.

I am now really curious to see the numbers post Christmas.

8. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

Hubby picked up his PS4 on Friday. He loves it. It took very little time to set up, the 1.5 patch took no time to download and it took mere moments to load Kill Zone. The machine is very quiet and not over heating (and he is playing for long periods of time :))

I find the quality of the graphics amazing. Blu-rays are beautiful. The picture is far more clear and sharp than our old system. The colours are stunning.

The controller is very user friendly. I am not a video game girl, but I may even be tempted to play now that I have a controller that doesn't intimidate me!

9. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Hurry up UK launch :eek: need my PS4.

10. AlphaMan

Oh damn! I know Gamestop holds pre orders for 7 days. I'll just show up on Thursday and see if someone's credit card is denied. Cross your fingers for me.

11. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm planning on picking up a PS4 sometime next year - probably in the spring. I have such a huge backlog of PS3 and 360 games I need to play I just can't justify getting the new console at launch.

That said, I'm really interested in the Vita functionality - I have a Vita (which I just adore) and love the idea of playing PS4 games on it while my wife watches her shows ...

12. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

And the PS4 already has a new "light of doom" problem, this time the so called "Blue Light of Dozing" where the console refuses to boot back up again.

Slim model in a year and a half it is then.

13. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I'm not surprised the PS4 is doing so well. With MS having totally blown the PR game and the Wii U being virtually an afterthought at this point, Sony pretty much just had to not fuck it up, and they seem not to have fucked it up. :lol:

14. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, at least for the most part, but as mentioned, there is a problem with some of them, most notably with consoles that have come from Amazon. Some consoles have had problems with the latest firmware update which have rendered them inoperable. There just hasn't been much publicity about this.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/playstation-4-problems/

15. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wait, are you telling me Foxconn slave labor hasn't achieved a 0% defect rate?!?! I'm shocked, I say again SHOCKED by this state of events.

It's 2013, some of these consoles are going to be defective, and just about anyone who gets a defective console is going to bitch about it somewhere on the Internet.

16. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

It's currently lower than the 0.8% Yellow Light of Death from the PS3, if the trend continues to affect the one batch that seems to be most vunerable from it, it could be around 0.5% of all units produced, still inside the acceptable failure rate.

17. Owain Taggart

Sure, but imagine preordering the console, waiting all those months, finally getting it, only to not be able to do anything with it. Disappointing to say the least. Some have to ship it right back to Sony. I'm not saying it's a big problem, but It's a problem nevertheless.

Here's another link:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ho...ath-and-broken-hardware-reports/1100-6416222/

18. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah I don't have to imagine, my launch window PS3 had a screwed up optical drive. It wouldn't take a disc. Just made a weird grinding noise. I had to send it back to Sony, and it was a total bitch to get them to honor the warranty since it was off of Ebay and they didn't send me a receipt with it.

Spoiler alert. Some people are going to be disappointed on Friday when they get their XBO and the thing doesn't work, or dies halfway through the Day One Update, or dies after a few minutes of gameplay, or dies because they broke it by doing something stupid that they won't admit and instead will pretend that it shipped broken. Who knows, I might be one of them.

And they'll bitch on the internet. And people will needlessly speculate that the problems are widespread.

19. AlphaMan

The guys at Kotaku and IGN was able to get their PS4 to work after inspecting the HDMI port and noticing an out of place wire and flattening it out with a thin metal barb.

IGN is reporting Sony as saying that there may be a 0.4% failure rate and that they will continue to investigate. With 1 million units in the wild now, this means they expect problems with 3,000 - 4,000 consoles. Completely unacceptable, sure, but at those numbers, I like my odds and I expect Sony to make this right should I get a bum console.

20. Owain Taggart

Makes me wonder why those ports are being bent in the first place. Seems to be a rather odd defect to happen for something that depends on it. Sucks for those people who don't have any Sony stores near them to go to. Ironically, we had one here for years that just recently closed.