Most underrated and most Overrated character?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by GalaxyClass1701, May 11, 2010.

1. GalaxyClass1701

GalaxyClass1701 Captain Captain

Who are yours?

Most Underrated: Captain Sisko imo was the best Captain after Kirk.

Most Overrated: Maybe Scotty.

2. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Kirk: Most overrated. OK...I LIKE Kirk, I really do, but he would have been kicked out of Starfleet after the first season!

Most Underrated: Probably one or two of the Enterprise cast...I think it might be the most solid cast from top to bottom.

RAMA

3. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think Uhura was the most over rated character. I keep hearing about how incredible she was but all I really saw on TOS was her opening hailing frequencies.
    (Ducks.)

Most under rated? I'll say Harry Kim. I think he was an interesting character with some good moments. I don't get why people don't like him.
    (Ducks again)

I realize neither of these are going to be popular opinions.

4. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

most overrated: data?

5. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Really? Why? He get's an A+ for being one of the first and probably best portrayals of Asimov's positronic robots..(YES robot...and android is still a sub-category of robot) even without any of the actual storyline involved. It was just nice that they used the concept at all.

RAMA

6. RegFan

RegFan Commodore Commodore

Most overrated: Tasha Yar.
    Most underrated: Hard to say. Maybe Archer.

7. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Most overrated:Gotta say Data(this despite my hatred of Worf)
    Most underrated:Bones,an educated,sophisticated citizen of the 23 rd century and an M.D. to boot.But always played as an ass-scratching hick.:lol:

8. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

for underrated (or underused) i'd say tasha yar.
    i liked her. oh well..

9. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

Most Overrated: Wesley Crusher

Most Underrated: Wesley Crusher

10. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Most underrated: Sybok (but then again, the whole movie is underrated).

Most overrated: Robau.

11. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

Most overrated: Riker. A good character in general, but never stood up to Picard, even though Picard said that he chose Will as somebody who would stand up to him lol.

Kirk also is the most overrated Captain, despite being along with Picard the most recognisable in everyday pop culture (Sisko ruled, but who outside of Trek fandom knows who Sisko is?). Picard, Sisko and even Janeway you could relate to as rounded, well-developed, and realistic portrayals as individuals. Kirk just had charisma, chased skirts and saved the day using unorthodox methods. He had no depth/complexity lol.

Most underrated: Martok, T'Pol, Lwaxana Troi. Martok was the uber-Klingon like Worf in a way, T'Pol was more complex than most other Vulcan characters in the entire franchise, and Lwaxana was annoying but meant well and was not a bad person at heart. She was a killer for getting up Picard's skin lol.

12. Mr Cool Dude

Mr Cool Dude Guest

Underrated: Dr Beverly Crusher. She was pretty much everything you could want in a woman. She was beautiful, she was intelligent, she was kind, and she was a moral person. And - she beat the Borg. Many of the Beverly themed episodes were very interesting, and very well done.

13. Lor'Vela

Lor'Vela Captain Captain

Most Overrated: Charles Tucker
    Most Underrated: Dr. Pulaski

14. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Most overrated: Kirk or Scotty.

Most underrated: T'Pol; followed by Phlox, Archer and Reed.

15. Joeman

Joeman Captain Captain

Overrated: Beverly Crusher

Underrated: Neelix

16. SFRabid

SFRabid Commodore Commodore

Overrated - Uhura and Riker. I like Uhura but Mirror Uhura was much more interesting.
    Underrated - Beverly Crusher and T'Pol. Crusher always came across as a persom rather than a character. T'Pol was the most interesting Vulcan since Spock.

17. Admiral Shran

Admiral Shran Admiral Admiral

Over-Rated - Robau. He was a punk who got bitch-slapped. What's so awesome here?

Under-Rated - Ezri Dax. She was everything you could want in a woman. She was warm, inviting, funny, caring, intelligent, and unbelieveably beautiful.

18. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We never met Mirror Uhura. Or rather, we just saw her from a distance for a few seconds, standing in the brig on Enterprise. :confused:

19. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Under: Garak, the most complex, nuanced character in all of Trek

Over: Data -- overdone. We get it, he's letting us think about humanity through his outsider-ness. Terrible attempts at humor (his and the writers'). Countless reaction shots of people smiling or laughing at Data -- ugh!

20. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I got indeed a little fed up with the little Andronerd. Especially when in the movies it started to be all about him and Picard basically.