Of Childhood Heroes and Influences Growing Up

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Orion Pimp, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Orion Pimp

Orion Pimp Captain Captain

I remember growing up watching Star Trek with my father.

It's funny what little fragments of memory stick fast and seem to be there forever and others are blown away like so much dust.

I remember a Saturday afternoon in the mid to late seventies, walking into my father's study and sitting down with him as he was watching City on the Edge of Forever.
    I remember being confused because the guy in the kitchen with the hat on looked like Spock, but he was dressed in "normal" clothes and working behind a counter. (I couldn't have been more than five at the time.) I remember my father explaining to me what was happening.
    I remember being amazed that one of my heroes resembled another so much.
    My father with his hazel eyes and larger than life countenance (in my mind at least) could have been Captain Kirk's twin.

I remember my father saying things to me like " There are two kinds of people in this world, Leaders and Followers, and anyone can be a follower."

and
    "The right thing to do is never the easy thing to do, but it's worth the extra effort in doing."

and
    "Take out the Garbage."

I remember watching Star Trek and watching Kirk and company reinforce these concepts. Be a leader, respect others, be strong both mentally and physically. Be an example of what a good person should be.

The point of this ramble down memory lane is to have a larger than life hero, who put into action those principles and values taught in words by an everyday hero, galvanized in me some important life lessons.

Thanks Captain Kirk.
    and Thank you Dad.

2. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

awwwwwwwwwww

3. Orcus

Orcus Captain Captain

Yeah... gets right there, doesn't it? :techman:

4. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

What I couldn't figure out as a kid was why my heroes, Capt. Kirk and James Bond, got to have a different girl every time I saw them, and I couldn't even get one to go out with me. And when I did get one to go out with me, in the back of my mind I thought of it as temporary, because there'd be another girl coming along in the next episode/movie/adventure.

It actually kinda screwed up my perception of relationships until I was in my late 20s.

But on the other hand, I also had my Dad for a hero - WWII fighter pilot and adventurer who put John Wayne to shame, who settled down with the love of his life and always tried to Do the Right Thing. MUCH better example to live by.

5. Orcus

Orcus Captain Captain

No, I'd say that was pretty normal of romantic relationships for teens/20s. When we were that young long-term relationships was what happened to other (and older) people; we were still leading fun, carefree lives unfettered by responsibility...

6. Oceanborn_angel

Oceanborn_angel Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I believe I have my mom to thank for my interest in all things Star Trek. It started with the movie and blossomed into interest for TOS on T.V. through syndication. I can recall always idolizing Nichelle Nichols as Uhura because she was one of the few female main characters.

7. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All I'll say is those of you who are lucky enough to consider your dads to be heroes, be grateful. Not all dads are worthy of respect. You are truly fortunate.

8. EEE

EEE Captain Captain

Well, there's a bucket of icewater on a Norman Rockwell/Kodak moment.

9. Orion Pimp

There's a scientific term for men like these....Lucky Bastards.;)

Forbin, your dad sounds like a hell of a guy.

sbk1234, I'm sorry. I guess we sometimes take for granted the things we've got.

10. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^^Thank you. That was my point.

11. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, you know what 60's TV show screwed me up when it came to women? Not Star Trek, but "I Dream of Jeannie." :lol:

12. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I watched Trek with my dad, too. Or "Star Track," as I called it. It appealed to me because it was similar to another show I watched faithfully -- "Star Blazers." Similar in that there were starships, aliens, colorful stylized uniforms, a bridge where the main crew hung out.

I remember a game my dad would play. Star Trek would start and within seconds my dad would name the episode. Now I'm that guy. :)

13. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Oh, thay ALL contributed to my up-screwing! :lol:

14. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Erin Gray, Lynda Carter, and Catherine Bach, all on TV right as I went through puberty. Ah, bliss.

15. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

How 'bout Heather Thomas? Woo!

16. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    I know how you feel, OrionPimp, because I was introduced to Star Trek by my father. He would sit me down on his lap and we would watch it together. I pretty much had no idea what I was watching at the time (Kirk was handsome, Uhura was pretty and that was about it for me) but I enjoyed it just the same.

But Star Trek became important to me because sitting down and watching the show together are the only memories I have of my father. We didn't haved time to make any more: he died in 1970 at the age of 29. I was only 7 years old.

Star Trek became a tradition in my family and was the one way we could all be united. My mom and I would always feel we were with my father when we watched Star Trek together.

And now with my mother gone, Star Trek is the only way I feel truly united with my whole family.

So watch Trek and be reminded that your dad is there watching it with you. I know mine is.

17. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

My dad wasn't a Star Trek fan, but I also remember the character-building lessons we learned from him. Your story touches me particularly, because I lost my father just under 3 weeks ago. :(

18. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was already in high school when she showed up. Well past the "Being Ushered Through Puberty" phase.

19. Orion Pimp

I'm trying to type this with tears in my eyes. my sincerest condolences to both of you and your families.

Anji,

I cried when I read what you wrote. It's sad and beautiful.
    My dad is still alive, but three thousand miles away. I'm lucky to have him a phone call away, but I still miss him and those times with him so much. It was really something special that I'll always hold dear to me.

JiNX,

I'm so sorry for your recent loss.

I hope it comforts you that your father's memory and character will go on because of those lessons that he gave to you. From your post I think I can glean that he was a fine man who did a good job with his child.

Sending you both all the love in the world.

OP