Now Kevin Smith says Star Trek almost as good as Dark Knight

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Brian, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What would really be disappointing is if Joel Schumacher saw Star Trek and said it was almost as good as Batman and Robin.

2. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I demand that Kirk and Spock's uniforms incorporate nipples and codpieces.

3. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

So, Rush - what do you and Rob think about Kevin Smith's remarks?

4. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Yeah. Right. If he ever DID say that he was doing it tongue-in-cheek and just stroking his friend George Lucas' ego.;) That, or he meant best CGI visual effects he'd ever seen in a movie.

5. CaptainHawk1

CaptainHawk1 Commodore

Obviously coming from someone who hasn't seen Mallrats.

-Shawn :borg:

6. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Guest

I thought The Dark Knight was good but I've only seen it once. I liked Batman Begins a little better. I really feel like I need to see The Dark Knight one more time to confirm this. I definitely don't think it belongs in the Top 3 where IMDB has ranked it.

I severely doubt Star Trek will be one of the top three movies of all time either.

All in all, I wasn't even thinking in those terms, either comparing it to The Dark Knight or something like The Godfather. What I'm wondering about is how the movie will compare within the family of Star Trek movies. Is it better than TWOK, for example? Is it as accessible as TVH? Those are what I'm looking for.

7. T'Cal

T'Cal Commodore Commodore

Go see it again, in IMAX if possible. I've seen TDK five times, once in IMAX. It was awesome the first time and, unlike many films, lost nothing in subsequent viewings; it actually improved. Often when I go see a film a second time, I see flaws, mistakes, or continuity errors, which cause me to lose interest in the film. GEN is a good example. I like the film but am severly annoyed by the flaws and wholes in the story so much so that I would rather not see it for a long while. While there are a few small flaws in TDK, they take nothing away from a phenominal story that is conveyed by great direction and acting. I thoroughly enjoyed Batman Begins but found this sequel even better. Also, I'm a Chicagoan so it's great to see my city as Gotham. The city never looked better.

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

"The Dark Knight" was good, but I don't think I'd subject myself to that a second time.

9. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Your choice..but how many times have you seen NEMESIS--INSURRECTION?? Dark Knight, as a pure movie, was far better than maybe two TREK movies..

Rob

10. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And don't forget we would need a fight scene with Klingons on ice skates -- no, no wait, Andorians -- Andorians on ice skates

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  11. Admiral Buzzkill

Nemesis - once in the theater, once on DVD some years later. I think I only saw Insurrection the one time.

Dark Knight may arguably be a better movie, but that doesn't mean I enjoyed the experience enough to do it more than once. I found much about it unpleasant and even disappointing given all the raving about it.

12. Tyberius

Tyberius Commander Red Shirt

Never say never.

In Miller's TDK he armored up against supes

Jean-Paul Valley

Justice

Kingdom Come

His yellow bat symbol on his chest is supposed to be a metal plate (to take sniper bullets)

But, yes, generally he doesn't wear armor. Though for specific missions he will.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  13. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Guest

The real reason The Dark Knight is rated so high is because of Heath Ledger. I've seen big buzz over Batman movies before but not like this. Numbers don't lie, either. For Batman, this is really The Peak. The third movie is going to be in an impossible situation.

The same with Star Trek if we're comparing it to TDK. Realistically, it just isn't going to be able to compare with it in terms of attention and revenue. Maybe if ST does really well, it'll hit $300 million, 60% of TDK's domestic gross to date. If I'm being optimistic. It's apples and oranges.

As far as quality, better is not the same as different. ST could be as good as TDK but in a completely different way.

14. roguephoenix

roguephoenix Captain Captain

dark knight was good and all, but i wouldn't watch it a second time. it just didn't captivate me enough. well maybe i'll see it a second time, but not in theaters. it was more of a "cool" movie for me rather than a "wow" movie. iron man and incredible hulk were more enjoyable for me.

so his comparisson of trek to dark knight to me means that it's a little long, bleak, and a little drudging. >_< i hope it's not like that.

15. Eric Cheung

Eric Cheung Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm pretty sure he doesn't mean it'll be bleak like TDK.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Absolutely. The man was a brilliant actor.

17. T'Cal

T'Cal Commodore Commodore

This truly is an apples and oranges comparison. Once it debuts, STXI's only real comparisons, as far as quality is concerned, will be done to ST:I-X. Saying it's better or worse than a film such as TDK will be meaningless. Box office receipts will tell us only that it was liked or not, but it will say little about its quality of script, direction, acting, etc.

18. Eric Cheung

Eric Cheung Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Actually I think TDK may be an apt point of comparison over the other Trek films. For better or worse, the hope from all the people making the movie seems to be that the audience see this movie as a really great summer blockbuster, not a Star Trek film. To that end, if this movie is like TDK in the way the studio wants it to be it'll be a box office winner and a strong movie in its own right. It's adherence to Trek is a lower concern in their minds. But hopefully by satisfying the other requirements it satisfies ours.

19. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Best post in this thread by far..and right on target.

Rob

20. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Kevin Smith is an interesting filmmaker. I have not liked all of his movies, but he is a straight-shooter and calls it like he sees it. If he says the movie is going to be good, it means more to this younger generation than if Leonard Nimoy says its a good film. Just keeping it real. And since both Nimoy and Smith seem to like the movie, I think we are in for a good time...with out a doubt my most anticipated film of next year by far...

Rob