Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Salinga, Dec 5, 2012.

1. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, the first trailer was pretty good fx wise, but had some questionable colors for the live action. But the later trailers (that included some of the same footage) were spectacular.

Sucks that this will be the first one I can't get a bit early, and in fact wont beable to purchase for at least a month after its release (stupid medical bills). I will be jealous at each and everyone who gets to watch it....

2. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hmm, I take issue with that. Our full review (which was published almost two weeks before release) was very balanced and highlighted my criticisms of Season Two clearly.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I don't really care for the technical reasoning, I just found it a real chore to watch TNG as the VHS/DVD's looked like ass especially on an HD set.

4. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well to be fair to HTV, when you look at the before and after you see that they DID do a very faithful recreation of the original shots.

Unfortunately those shots just don't look nearly as cool as the feature-quality work CBS-D did.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

They made some mistakes but overall I feel I got my money's worth buying the season two set.

6. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

SOrry I wasn't clear. I wasn't talking about your review (which I read after the release), but the posts you made when posters talked about the press release materials and the flaws that were easily noticed in them versus material from the previous set, and their press release materials.

I also must be confused about which poster was arguing with me, on my comments on the copy I got early from work. Which would have been at the time you were reviewing the release.

Several posts talk about not judging the press release materials, and that you expected the material to be top notch (even at the same time stating how you wish CBS digital was doing all season. THough in all fairness, I don't see anything of you praising the FX you saw, just stating that it should be good, and not to judge the press materials.

7. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Nice article. Thanks for the link!

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

More caps!!

9. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

But no one wants "faithful recreation of the original shots".
    They want the effects to look modern.

10. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

I wouldn't go so far as to say "no one." A lot of us do, but also enjoy the way CBS-D did it. More detail, more contrast. If that's what you call "modern."

11. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would say that HTV was faithful in that it looks like 1980s compositing work in HD. They did not improve upon the original techniques, nor did they try. Effects were blurry, light passes were misaligned, overall lighting was poor and fake-looking, and matte lines were visible. The only improvement HTV made was making the effects 1080p from 480i. In some ways, HTV's work was worse than the original effects work in 1988.

CBS-D was faithful, but brought the techniques into the 2010s. What they pulled off looks as if it was shot today.

HTV used "faithful representation" as a crutch. CBS-D used it as a challenge.

12. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

And for some reason HTV made the grain disappear every time there was any VFX in shot and failed to notice!

13. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

They probably didn't want to try to match the grain.

14. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the season 2 VAM, Dan Curry says more than once that his intention was to be faithful to the original work, not to modernize the effects.

15. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Of course, they weren't particularly faithful in a lot of places, so I don't know how much of an excuse that is. Not only were a lot of shots lackluster, there were many that were distinctly worse than the original. Image quality is higher, of course...but who let all those horizontally distorted Enterprise shots through?

16. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

Can we keep all the HTV criticism to the S2 thread? It's a little annoying seeing the same complaints coming up again and again...

17. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TrekCore has posted some more beautiful S3 shots on their Facebook page. Man, I sure am going to miss that 6-foot model. The 4-footer in HD just cannot compare.

18. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

19. Chris2005

Chris2005 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Yea, but the remastering greatly improves the 4 foot model... I can't wait to do the episode by episode comparison videos for TrekCore...

20. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Does HD always have to make things better or can they make things worse? The reason I ask is because on the Trekcore facebook page, they posted a picture of the Sheliak in HD, and I wonder if the SD version with the blurriness added to the menacing aspect of this alien. Now it almost looks like Armus with no goo and instead of rising from the pond, he's attached to rods. It still looks cool and all, but it's almost like the clarity is taking away something from the oddity of that species.

It's a shame too that Ensigns of Command is not one of the more popular episodes of the season because I would love to hear some behind the scenes stories on this one, especially the concept of the Sheliak. Also, wasn't this the episode with the Voice dubbing for the Goshavin character? That would have been an interesting tidbit too. Granted, maybe they will talk about it, but I doubt it.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013